Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fitting Model A Glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bandit14569, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bandit14569

bandit14569

I bought a 5 window coupe project awhile back. It had been striped and was missing everything. Well little by little I've gotten the things I need. I have since done a 3" chop and being that it never had glass in it I'm questioning the fit of the quarter and rear windows. When I have glass cut do I want the glass to fit close to metal window frame of the body or should it be cut a bit smaller and sum kind of rubber strip or seal go's around the glass.

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

there is a "u'' shaped rubber seal that goes around. get that seal first to see what allowence you need ,if you have the stock glass now, you can messure the sides to see how much smaller it is,then make the same allowance for height. you need to have the same reveil all around. or make a pattern out of thin cardboard (non-coragated type works best) once you know the reveil or space around and have glass cut, or have yours modifide.

3. Reds 29

Reds 29

There is a rubber u shaped seal that goes around both the quarter window and back glass. Check with Mac's or Snyder's they both should have it.
    Red

4. bandit14569

bandit14569

Ok Thanks Guys.........Thats what I needed to know.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Remember...ONLY the windshield of a Model A is safety glass. The door, quarter, and back glass if original to the car are plate glass, a thick version of a house window, so be careful with them and do not reuse them. That was the first year of safety glass in a Ford. Around 1935 they went to safety glass in all windows of all bodies.

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

As said above in regards to the U channel is correct.

I chopped my coupe 4 inches. I called the glass shop and they said the glass is .25 inch thick. I went to the hardware store and bought .25 plywood and made templates to fit, and wrapped the edges with the rubber and installed them as if they were glass. Once I was happy after a little trimming here an there, I took the patterns to the glass shop and be made exact copies. Now I have glass that I know will fit, even did this on the windshield and side roll up glass.

7. 5window

5window

I had the glass, but the previous chop made the frame a bit uneven and the rubber left too much of a gap. I paid a windshield guy after hours to set all the glass with professional grade sealers and adhesive. It cam out really well and a lot more even than I could have done.

8. bandit14569

bandit14569

Thanks for the imput. I picked up a complete "new" full glass set from a guy but it was after chop was complete and could not get a visual of the glass to body fit. I'll have to get the seals make some templates to trace onto new glass and find a local glass shop to modify. I did wonder about using the new age sealers , that would help with any imperfections there might be with window base not being perfectly flat. Or is the original seal pretty forgiving?

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

To be specific, I did as well, have the glass guy set the glass in the windshield frame.

Regarding the fit to the frame. As long as the plane of the frame is flat, or dang close the rubber will hide some small gappage.

I think if you buy some plywood and make templates and put them in with the rubber, trim the templates to your liking then have him trim the glass to your templates it is a no lose way to go.