Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fitting headlights to a Model T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by carnutsince 65, Oct 12, 2018.

1. carnutsince 65

carnutsince 65

My 26 T is a bone stock body full fendered tall T coupe with a 327 Chevy automatic and 8 inch rear axle on coil overs. I am attempting to install stock 32 Ford commercial headlights to the stock headlight bar. The bar is flat where the stock headlights were mounted. The new lights pivot up/ down on a hollow stud with the wiring thru the stud. My problem is I can't get the lights to pivot once snugged up. The bell shaped mounts on the headlights allow the stud to pivot until almost tight, then they're aiming up once fully tightened? My Model A had a dished mounting surface on the bar and would allow adjustment as you tightened them up. Does someone make a T bar with a dished type headlight mounting surface? What am I missing?

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the h/l mounting cups tilt forward / down

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0029.JPG
    My 26 T coupe has the stock headlight bar. The mounting surface for the light is a convex or domed shape. The stock lights have a concave mounting surface to match. Don't know what the mounting surface of a 32 light looks like. I mounted a set of guide 682 repops. Adjustment is a snap. They have a concave mounting surface, but they come with an adapting washer that has a flat side and a domed side. Not used for my installation. Maybe something like that would help.

5. You can use fire wrench to heat & tilt the cups on the headlight bar forward, or drill out the rivets on headlight bucket and open the rotation slot another half inch and that should give you the rotation you need when the headlight is mounted.

I really like 32 headlights on most cars but the T's look so cool with the original style lights IMHO. HRP

lurker mick and GuyW like this.
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I really like the original style also and had a set of Halogen converted originals. I couldn't see for shit. The lighting was terrible. So, function over form, new headlights, and I can see at night again. It is the old style lenses that mess it up.

7. carnutsince 65

carnutsince 65

Jaw22 my car is very similar to yours. Rich B I have those cups. These headlights because they're commercial are 9 inch lens' Didn't want to loose the frontal look. The lens is a modern fluted lens with a park/turn signal bub in the reflector so adding turn signals was a snap. These pivot "rivets" are in fact, small carriage bolts which would allow some elongating of holes in the bucket if necc. I agree, the headlight bar has a convex surface and the stock T lights are concave allowing tilt up/down adjustment. It appears that the bar requires having a dished mounting surface like a Model A to allow these lights to pivot. $350 spent and I can't adjust them?? Heating the bar is an option but that's an extreme fix IMO.

8. :eek:

9. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Here is how I mounted mine...….LOL! Got a 6.5 HP engine in her.

Attached Files:

10. RussTee

RussTee

Ford provided a special tool to bend the headlight bar so the were in alinement