Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fit the frame to the body , or the body to the frame ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbon64, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have a 30 model A coupe that i'm in the process of building. i decided to go with a brookville high boy 32 chassis . this weekend i set the body on the frame and lined up the most forward mounting point and stood back and checked the line up. looks like it needs to slide forward about half an inch which shouldnt be a problem . however , the frame looks to be about a half to three quarters of an inch too wide towards the rear . so , what would be the best fix here ? cut the subrail and move the body out a bit , or slice and dice on the frame ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Budget36

Budget36

I'd verify 2 things...one, is the frame made correctly? And two, check the body width as well...maybe verify with mounting point on a stock A frame.

3. Did you consult W/ Brookville and specify your intentions? Did you get the frame from them and tell them what you were doing? Make's a world of difference to the pic's/ what we are seeing....

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Using a Brookville chassis too. Is your' s pinched for model a? I haven't put my body on it yet, so I'm subscribed.Good luck with it.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somehow stretching the body outwards is surely going to create a bunch of problems- for instance, the profile of the doors wouldn't work with the stretched out rear quarters. I'm not getting the pro street style step in the frame, unless it's for a 32 body with modified wheel houses. Looks to be a neat body. Seems like the frame is the issue?
    Chris

clem and afaulk like this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Don't pull the body outward. That will just look bad. Pinch the frame in to fit the body. You will be much happier with the results.

mike bowling, afaulk and Model T1 like this.
  7. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i spent quite a bit of time on the phone with brookville . they had questions and i had answers . i would assume brookville goes off standard measurements when they build their frames.

8. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yep , i ordered the highboy 32 frame to fit a model A body . pinched at the firewall . looks good there , just the rear portion sticks out not even a half inch . just enough that it's noticable.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Show us pic of the front....where the cowl meets the frame.

Ray

10. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for posting those pics. I can see the considerable difference between the front and rear. Clearly, they did pinch the cowl area of the frame. Have you discussed this with Brookville yet? It might be useful to show them the issue at the rear and see what they have to say.

Ray

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Please post their reply to this issue. I'm getting a little worried now. I' going to mount my body on soon and see if there's a problem with mine.

13. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i sent an email this evening . we'll see what happens

14. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no problem , i'll share what they have to say. is yours still bare metal ? mine is epoxy primed so i know i wont be able to return it . i'm just gathering info for the best fix .

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a picture of what there is of cross support inside the body?

Hnstray likes this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

That frame looks too wide. Even in the front. Even the front. In the front I would like to see the inside of the frame even with the inside of the body mount, maybe even a 1/4 inch inside of that. Just my opinion.

46international and afaulk like this.
  17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Mine's still in bare metal, boy what a pita !

18. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

That's why we test fit in bare metal always...
    You need a pinched frame cause that isn't. That sucks man.

19. alchemy

alchemy

I also think the frame should be reworked instead of the body. If you go trying to pull the rear quarters out a bit you are going to have a huge amount of alignment problems in the doors, as well as the decklid. I know it's going to be a pain, but you probably need to slice an inch or so from the rear crossmember (a little each side) and pull the rear frame horns in. Might need to do a bit of slicing in the center crossmember too. All this while the frame is clamped to a stiff frame table to keep everything square.

20. Tetanus

Tetanus

I don't see any floor structure in your body is there anything holding the sides of body?

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I want to see.

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Pictured- #1-Stock cowl channeled on a stock boxed frame- 1930 Model A coupe.
    #2- stock 31 roadster cowl on stock frame showing cowl mounting area ( front bolts -only 1 in each side for mock up)
    At the cowl mounting brackets ( 2 holes each side), a stock frame is 31 3/4
    inches from center cowl mount holes to center cowl mount holes

Brookville frame doesn't look right to me. (???) Hope this may help. DSCN2127.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  23. oj

oj

In your 2nd pic:[​IMG]
    e
    The body needs to be shifted, there should be maybe an 1 1/2" from the body to the frame. When I set an 'A' body on the '32 frame I can run my finger around the perimeter, with the fingertip touching the frame the body will be at 1/2way between my first joint and knuckle all the way around the body and it has to be consistant. If you have the same reveal on the other side you have a real problem. The pic of the cowl show the frame too wide. No big deal, its only paint.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I'm going to measure mine across the cowl area and right before the rear wheel well and compare that to the body in the same place. I'll post them, anyone know what it should be ?
    OJ, the Brookville chassis for Model A is flat on top so the body should fit pretty flush, at least that's how they describe it in their catalog.

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some one else asked earlier about the floor in your coupe. It is the original or has someone replaced it. On my Sedan, some one had cut out the original inner original framework and welded in a sheet metal floor. They had that body all out of wack!

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

This is a coupe sub frame ( upside down)- first cross member ( from the front) DSCN1303.JPG is the wide one about 16" back from the firewall. I don't think you'd see it in his pictures- too much angle

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Does this assist with dimensions? 30 on 32.jpg

28. Tetanus

Tetanus

ya but look in his trunk area i dont see anything

29. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stock subrail only . i removed the rear portion to clear the kick up in the frame. and yes , i did add supports when i removed the rear portion

30. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it helps . i have a request in to brookville for their measurments so i can compare.