Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fit and finish, tricks of the trade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

The gaps on my 36 doors are dang near perfect. I am planning a chop, but the doors shut so good it gives me pause.

The grille attaches to the front fenders and sort of attaches to the top of the radiator. It is more like a floating grille.

2. The doors fitting perfect makes the chop job easier.
    You align the doors before starting a chop.

3. alchemy

alchemy

And weld lots of cross bracing to keep the shape when you whack the top off.

Roothawg and anthony myrick like this.
  4. Guys used to chop new cars back in the day

Roothawg likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

The clown that paid me to build it.

BJR and patterg2003 like this.
  6. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

One thing that helps if you are fitting a door ,trunk lid or hood that has a latch and a striker pin. If you remove the latch and or the pin it won’t fight you as you are trying to align the panel to gain the right gaps. You can hold the door or trunk lid closed with your hands to check and see if it is aligned.

Once you get the gaps correct you can add the latch and or pin back to the panel and adjust these items to get the proper closing depth.
    A door latch and striker for example should not lift or push down a door too much (if at all) if it is set up properly.

Roothawg likes this.