Register now to get rid of these ads!

fist time down the dragstrip in 40 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yruhot, Feb 15, 2012.

1. yruhot

yruhot

Hi there guys and gals, thought I'd give you an update on my 1955 gasser style build up. ON another post I showed some photos of the rebirth of this mangled up heap of metal. I was looking for a used bracket car to go and make some smoke and noise with and this totalled 55 hardtop fell into my lap. Well after lik 20 months of lots of labor and ca$h I finally got it running good enough I thought to take out to the Friday nite drags for street cars to just get a base line of what the car would do and plan my next move from that. Car has a real bone stock 454 out of a surburban/th400/9in rear with spool and 456 gears. Made it past tech and can you believe it the metal detector for weapons.(My how things had changed.) It was my first rip down a drag strip in 40 years and my 27 year olds first ever. What a blast. Had a 30 mph head wind all night but I manages a best of 14.40 et and 90 mph. Yea I know stop yawning but I felt like John Force. Thought I saw Elvis in the lights.lol. Sat in the staging lanes waiting for another go around listening to PDiDDY, and some other crap I never heard of before. I guess they don't play Creedance clear water/Steppen wolf/Guess Who/ anymore Too bad. I did get a lot of nice comment from the kids in the imports asking questions about the car. I think I was the only car with open headers and a V-8. It was kinda funny watching them change lanes so they wouldn't have to line up against me.lol. I don't think they could hear there rice burners,. They also had a small clip on the 11 o'clock news of my car making a pass. Do blink you might miss it.lol. All in all it was a blast, my son keeps asking when we are going to race again,I said after we find a few more ponies.lol. Very soon. This is one more thing I can check off my bucket list, to go drag racing again. Especially with my son. It'sLink To 55 Gasser Videos way more fun than video games. I might even let him make a pass in drive. Anyway I hope the link comes through on here. Take care and thanks for all you support through out this build YRUHOT...........Doug

2. yruhot

yruhot

3. yruhot

yruhot

OK let me check on how to post a you tube link.Any sugesstions?

4. yruhot

yruhot

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Did you check the carb for wide open throttle? I would bet that with those gears and that engine tranny combo you have a bunch of E.T. somewhere in that car. Always feels good to run it out the back door eh'

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Greta story.. Sounds like a great time.. And with your kid too.....

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Linky no worky for me!

8. Willy301

Willy301

Awesome man, I guess the only times I have been in a race track in the last dozen years, I was in the ambulance...as in the guy who would drive 110 on the street to save yer azz after you tore it up at the track... Little medic humor there, sorry. Anyway, they never made us go through any metal detector...of course, that might be cause the track didn't have one, but I don't know for sure.

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Link did not work for me,either.

Great that you did that.

Always gives me an ear to ear grin.

WTF!-metal detectors!?

Oh ok,see later in your post, pdipshit and street ricers.:D

Hey,enjoying life is what it is all about.

10. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Hey yruhot.

Check the video link and let us know if it works for you.

I would love to see it,

Love me some 55 Chevy's

and thanks for the post..