Register now to get rid of these ads!

First use of rack and pinion steering??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlteredChevy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Does anyone know when automakers/racers first used rack and pinion? i know they were around in the late 60's but i was curious when and if they were used before that.

thanks

2. unkamort

unkamort

There are probably earlyer, and better, examples but I know Triumph Herald (English) had it in 59/60. The earliest American production I can remember would be Pinto.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

There were a lot of different English cars around here back in the 50's and we've found a few mouldering hulks left in the woods that had R & P steering.
    Can't tell you what they were, except they were unitized construction and had round bottom chassis members up front.
    That might ring a bell with some of our British friends...???

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Citroen's in the 30's

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

7. narlee

narlee

Not as early as the Citroen but 1950 MG TD.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

That icon of the motoring world, the AMC Pacer was the 2nd U.S. production model with R&P in 1975.

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

citroen could not have used it in the 1930's ,it was not invented till way after wwii..as noted in my links above.

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

He invented variable ratio rack and pinion, not rack and pinion steering. I have seen steam engines with rack and pinion steering from 1890.

11. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i don't think the question was about trains. woooo woooooo!!!!!!

12. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Thats awesome thanks guys

13. The Citroen Traction Avant used it.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

His 37 Citroen Traction Has it .That's how I know .Also is frontwheel drive and unibody ,Or unitized .Im still curious who was the first to use .Rack and pinion.

15. DrJ

DrJ

I vaguely remember seeing a picture of a steam powered "Traction Engine" (tractor) from the 19th century and thinking, "That's got rack & pinion steering!"

16. Citroën 7CV (Traction Avant) had rack and pinion from June, 1936. And the entire line has been front wheel drive since 1934. As well as four-wheel independent suspension on all cars sine 1934. Firsts on all points, as far as mass-produced autos are concerned.

For that matter, Citroën is currently the only manufacturer to have ever used hydraulic steering, ie: with no primary mechanical link to the steering wheel (there was a backup link, with about 1/2 turn free play).

Cosmo

17. rack and pinion concepts have probably been around longer then Jesus , just need to be applied to thingd like steering.

18. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown