Register now to get rid of these ads!

First try at building a hotrod website

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topcat662, Mar 28, 2009.

1. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks a lot Tom! I'll work on it tonight. I'm a single dad of a 3 yr old so I don't get too much time on weekends until she's asleep.

Eddie

2. time_xx

time_xx

I just jumped on there, music controls work fine; I was able to adjust volume and stop it easily. The link works fine too. I really like that Pontiac tailgate, that's kick ass! The site loads really quick for me, I have no issues at all.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

slow loading, and any site that forces me to listen to music makes me puke, then shut the browser window

4. weldtoride

weldtoride

I can't offer any tech advice, but to an average surfer, I do like your site. Kudos that you're doing it yourself and learning. Personally I like the music, although I understand the need for discreet silence at times. Your work looks good, too, I really like the scratch built body and the air scoop under products.

5. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Add my vote to make the music user initiated. Having done bidness online for about 15 years I've learned that 75% of the people who visit our sites are doing so from work so having music auto loaded might discourage them after they get caught goofing off the first time.

You should also have your contact info at the bottom of every page as well as having your dedicated "contact us" page.

Good start on a neat site overall though. I like it.

Al in CT

6. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I'm glad I can help with you're gastrointestinal problems! I'm working on getting the music to come on only when wanted but can't seem to figure it out yet!

Eddie

7. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I think I have the music set to not be automatic. I thought i did it before but it came on when other people tried the site. Hopefully this is better. I will put the contact info at the bottom of every page as suggested hopefully tonight. Thanks for the compliments as too! I really appreciate all the input as I am trying to make it a good site. As far as the tech articles someone suggested I actually like writing them as you can see by the ones I wrote here on the hamb!

Thanks agian,
    Eddie

8. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I'm liking the song fur sure.

9. DragRacingTV

DragRacingTV
    from So Cal

cool pics! like the music too

10. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks,
    glad you liked it!

Eddie

11. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

There are some good comments here. This is a very servicable site, especially if it is your first try!

Couple more things... and I do this for a living.

1) Try to make everything as professional as possible, including your graphics. The pictures are cool, but things like people standing in the background that aren't really a part of what you are trying to display (the car), looks like you just had some chump snap some shots.

2) Left hand navigation that doesn't scroll with the page is the way to go. Then if I want to go somewhere else I don't have to go back to the top of the page to select something else in the menu.

3) Always group like things together. The two cars you worked on should really be under "Picture Gallery" or "Fast Eddie Builds" or whatever you want to call it. Not separate items in the menu. That way you can add more later and they will all be grouped together.

4) I personally would not put myself in the pictures. I know you are proud of your work and your business, but the cars are the focus, not you. The site needs to be focused on what you are selling.

12. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

All good ideas! I wasn't for putting myself in it either. I was kind of bullied into it. Wanna take a guess by who? I am still planning on editing the 2 girls out of the one picture, I'm actually waiting to see what they do with it in "Old Skool Rods" and go with something similar. As for The left hand navagation..Are you talking about the site map? Like I said I'm very new to this and I could probably build another car in less time and certainly less frustration as this was...but at least I'm learning! I do very much appreciate the help!

Thanks,
    Eddie

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That means putting your menu on the left side vertically instead of on the top horizontally...

14. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks, I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I'm not too savy when it comes to this stuff. Give me a sheet of metal and I can make just about anything you could want but I'm pretty lost when it comes to this computer stuff! I'll have to seeif it is possible to do with the template I'm using but I definately seem like a good idea to me.

Thanks again,

Eddie

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Better. Now the music at least starts with the volume down. But it is still playing - suggest perhaps that the user decide to play it if they want. Why waste the bandwidth streaming music when the volume is down, and who knows how many people will turn it up?

Not trying to nit-pick. Designing web sites can be thankless. Large companys employ dozens of folks to help make their sites appeal to 'everyone'. LOL

16. great site, cool pics
    saw one tech information error, "pontiac never made a truck"
    Pontiac actually did make a pick-up truck in 1929
    but your tail gate is WAY COOLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more can be found where this is from here>> http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/PickupTrucks/[​IMG]

17. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

You're not nit picking don't worry I actually appreciate it! I can't seem to get the music to be user started. I haven't had time to get with tech support yet. I'll try in the morning.

Thanks agian for the help, Like I said I want this to be a good site

Eddie

18. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Wow I never knew that!! Cool looking truck, I'll change my wording!

Eddie

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on the tailgate!

19. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I made the changes! Thanks again for pointing that out!

Eddie

20. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

cool website. Nice and simple. I gotta search on here for the tech on your 27.

21. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks for the compliment! If you have any questions on the 27 or anything else. just let me know. I'm always willing to help a friend.
    Eddie

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009