Register now to get rid of these ads!

First timer in Drag racing

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 348chevy, Aug 21, 2010.

1. 348chevy

348chevy

I have a bad back so I can't drive my car but I asked my grandson, Vince, if he wanted to drive and he said yeah. We showed up at Tulsa unannounced because the guys knew my racing days were over. Vince's first run was 12.40 with 101mph, second run was 12.05 with 113 mph and last run was 11.85 with 115.30. Not bad for a rookie. 2B was there along with three others. Bad wreck with a dragster rolling and coming apart so big delay and we didn't get to have the run off between 2b and Vince for the winner but Vince had fastest time and low et. Attached are some pictures, first Vince by my car then Bob Hindman, 2B, Don Alexander's Purple people eater and Larry and Jacks silver submarine.

Attached Files:

2. 348chevy

348chevy

I was going to add that also not bad for a 20 year old with a 56 year old engine. Roy

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

When I first read this, I wondered if the kid got a heart transplant from an old guy.:p

Good showing for the first time out...looks like you have a driver for your team.

4. ScottV

ScottV

You have infected him and now he will have this in him for the rest of his life !!! :p

5. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

we are always glad to see roy even if he does whip up on us .he goes in for surgey wednesday.we all wish him the best

6. bobw

bobw

Roy, get that back fixed and you can have a 2 car team. Thanks for the coverage and the pics. The boy done good.

7. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Roy, Thanks for posting the pics, also your grandson is going to be great drag racer!!!! I did win the Ha/Gr class at MoKan with 4 cars showing up. Ron Golden's car had the Flywheel fly at speed, the scattershield held the driver from geting hurt. They had a good strong scattershield. The slave Cyl with rod attached flew and knocked off a mirror on a 2009 pickup parked along the fence, lucky no one was injured. Don't use old parts in this area, just saying is all.
    2B

8. bobw

bobw

Congratulations 2B. You always run good.
    There is some complaining over on the HAMB Drag Nationals forum that the guys that blew up were laughing about it and didnt' even bother to apologize to the owner of the damaged truck.
    That doesn't sound like HA/GR owner/driver behavior to me. Anybody know the "rest of the story"?

9. 348chevy

348chevy

I still think it is crazy to put old cast iron flywheels on these or any other car that is going to run at high rpm. A GMC is made to run no more than 3000 rpm and then with slow shifts. You run that thing up to 5500 and shift it fast and castiron is a hand grenade waiting to explode. Better still put a powerglide in it and everyone is safe. Roy:D

10. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

I was around there for sometime, in fact when they were told about a part hitting the truck, there was definately concern on there faces. They were just really damn happy when they found out nobody got hurt. The guy who came up with the info about said that the guy was not mad at all, I think that this may have prompted a low level of concern. I went looking for the truck myself & nobody I asked could direct me to it. As far as the laughing there was none until they found out nobody got hurt!!!!
    Ron Golden was not there, he the owner I believe, I joked with them about how they were going to tell Ron, that was where some of the laughter came from.
    Thanks for the congrads, BobW

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What the hell...just gear it tall, put a rev limiter on it set at 3,000rpm and run the wheels off of it!:D Everybody knows that drag racing is unsafe anyway,:p

12. bobw

bobw

Way back in the 60's I was hit, but not hurt, by clutch parts from a fuel car. Bounced off the strip, into the air and rained down on some people.
    I looked at my home made scattershield on my HA/GR and saw how parts could easily escape. Checked the Slant Six site for how to set up safely and legally. Lots of money. That's why a 904 automatic went in, at least for now.

Sombody involved should wander over to the HAMB Drag Nationals Forum and calm the troops. Hate to see any HA/GR backlash next year.:eek:

13. butch nassau

butch nassau

Congratulations on your racing effort.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.