Register now to get rid of these ads!

First time visit, New York City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmfcracing, Jul 31, 2012.

1. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Will have my first ever visit to the east cost tomorrow together with my wife
    and some friends. We are suposed to stay on manhattan for 8 days.
    Do you guys know if there is anyting rod-related goin on at the time or anything
    else that is a "must do".
    Cheers Martin

2. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Try and catch a Yankeeor Mets Game, Nothing really car related going on. Maybe hop over to astoria Queens and visit Serino's (super old kustom guy's) 33-67-11TH ST. Long Island CITY, NY 718-728-9416. I dont know if your renting a car or not but the Bear Mountain Wed afternoon/night car show is always good for 300+ cars and just a nice place to visit about an hour north of the city. And here is a link to a list of the shows going on. http://www.specialinterest.com/siv_events.cfm If I think of anything else I'll shoot you a message. McSorleys Ale House opened in 1854 and is the oldest continuously operating saloon in the US! http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html

Its NY you wont have any trouble staying busy!

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

8 miles west of NYC. Rutt's Hut, Clifton, NJ tuesday night cruise and great bar type food. World famous for the deep fried hot dogs, too.

4. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Going to visit the Intrepid....a US aircraft carrier, very cool, lots of displays on board. Go to Johns Pizza in Greenwich Village. Not much in the way of hot rods sad to say!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

South Street Seaport is worth a walkaround. Bob

6. oldolds

oldolds

Not much car stuff, but you could could do Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, or The Garage Flea Market. Don't know the address off hand. The come up easy on Google search.
    You might find a few small things. Maybe a hood ornament or some trim.
    Try Newyorkled.com. It is listing of things like street fairs, concerts, and things to do in the city.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

After visiting South Street Seaport, take the free ferry ride to Staten Island, then a cab over to Hollywood Garage on Amboy Road. They have a ton of traditional cars being worked on and are cool folks. Call them beforehand to see if they have anything going on. Ask for Jackie. 718-356-4147. I think he's building a '32 roadster as we speak. Bring a fresh loaf of Italian bread with ya, and you'll be in like flint! :)

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I havent been in the NYC in quite some time and ilive relatively close but...

I would recommend spending some time in the city and seeing the sights

Visit:

-9/11 Memorial/Ground zero
    -The Empire State Building
    -Take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
    -Go to Times Sqaure and then walk past Broadway
    -Take a stroll in Central Park; it's asolutely beautiful and there are a lot of very cool monuments
    -Not sure if your into museums or not but NYC is well known for its numerous top-class museums. For sure; at least one would be worth visiting.
    -If you'e not going to a yankees game, at least go to Yankee Stadium
    -Bronx Zoo; it's a popular place but it's a nice place and worth the visit too
    -Go to Downtown Manhatten; Wall street is there and it's a very cool place to stroll through. Located here is also: Federal Hall National Memorial, Fraunxes Tavern Museum, South street Seaport shops and resturaunts, Skyscrape museum, NYC Police Museum.
    -Further down there is Battery Park which has Castle Clinton ( a fort built for the War of 1812), Stone Street (Cobblestone street throughway).
    -Nearby is also City Hall which is America's oldest functioning seats of municipal government.
    -After visiting these areas of lower manhattan consider walking across the Brooklyn Bridge!
    -Prospect Park is a GORGEOUS park worth visiting. It's 585 acres and was designed in the 19th century. It's located in Brooklyn
    -Coney Island is worth visiting. If you're into old charm; this is the place to go. Coney Island has seen its ups and down but the charm of the place is well worth visiting. Old school amusement rides and food stands add to it.

I know these are not car related but I hope you have a wonderful time in NYC and welcome to the east coast!

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Don't forget about BB King's bar just off of Times Square.... Good food and you never know who may be playing there..

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Grand Central Station was worth a visit IMO.

11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Yeah,
    Grand Central Terminal.
    But go to McSorelys on East 7th Street. Ask for Pepe.
    They open at 11.
    Sat evening. Lyndhurst NJ. Whiskey Cafe car cruise.

12. Ricci32

Ricci32

If you biker bars Hogs and heffers,Little italy-mullbury st and just walking around china town is very cool. The museum of sex is cool also.

13. Bear Mountain Cruise night every Wed. starting late afternoon
    Bear Mountain is about an hour north of the city
    Hundreds of cars and bikes

14. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thanks guys for all those ideas, dont know how I can do all this in only a week. the Aircraft Carrier is a must. I'll try to to keep you updated here thru the week.
    Thanks Martin :)

15. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

16. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

When and if you get to Staten Island,come over one more bridge,to Union NJ.Great cruise on Monday night.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If you're into bikes, go to Lombardi's Harley Davidson on Bay St. in Staten Island. One of, if not THE oldest Harley dealer in the states. The t-shirts are a must have!

18. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Hey. I know you Martin, I'm Magnus from Malmgren racing. Enjoy New York, it's the greatest city in the world. For a view don't go to Empire state, go to the Plaza instead not as long queues there, bicycle round Central park, walk in China town, you know, the touristy things. Let us know how you doing.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

should have came here to SoCal. All kinds of car events happening year round.

20. mrdodge

mrdodge

Thanks for posting this up Martin as myself, my wife & daughter, and another couple (car folk) are going to be in New York soon. (first time!!) Flying in Tues 21 August and out on Sunday 26th. Some great ideas here (some we have already booked!) but if anyone has got anymore please put them up. Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your post. It's a long way to come and we want to do as much as we can. Sleeps overrated and you can always do that back home !!

Cheers, mate

JR:)

21. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Take the grayline bus tour its an 8 hour tour of the city great price and lunch included in little italy

22. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

X3 for Staten Island Ferry...it goes right past the Statue of Liberty....breathe taking especially at night

The Intrepid, Staten Island Ferry, Ground Zero ( World Trade Center) and South Street Seaport are situated in Lower Manhattan in a loop that runs from the Hudson River south around Battery Park and then continues up the other side of lower Manhatten and East River. These sites are in a loop around the south tip of the island and are not terribly far apart. Would be a great but long day.
    Depends on your(pl) taste but there is nothing like a good Broadway show
    You'll love NYC
    Bruce

23. skwurl

skwurl

Go to Coney Island and eat at Nathans. Theres some cool ol rides there and a beach. There's also the freak show.

24. oldolds

oldolds

I forgot, try some Brooklyn Lager or other brewed in the city beers. Heartland Brewery also. The will be different than your oldworld beers

25. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thanks for the info guys, have reasently landed at Newark int. And having a beer in the hotel lobby in Chelsey, Manhattan and it is WARM :)
    Ill keep you guys updated after tomorrows adventures. It seem like a real turist bus or boat trip is scedule just to get familiar with the surroundings.

26. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Edit, found a cool statue of Andy W. while goin to the hotel. Sadly he was made out of plastic and paint, would have been cool if it was bronse.
    [​IMG]

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you have time, walk the High Line. It's cool.

28. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Walked around in Central Park yesterday, it was really nice. The statue of Alice in wonderland was the best :)
    Went to Guggenheim and it was closed on thursdays but anyway, loads of guiness in the bars :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. slant37

slant37
    from Holland PA

This is one of the summers Must go to shows.
    Sunday August 12th - starts around noon
    Gasket Goons Hot Rod Hustle
    Lanslide Saloon
    1090 State Route 173
    Asbury, NJ 08802 ( Phillipsburg, NJ area)
    about an hour on 178 West out of NYC- Check out their Facebook page Gasket goons NJ.
    Denise

30. 59 brook

59 brook

i agree with voodoo twin take the ferry i used to take it home from the city . not sure but it used to be a quarter to get back to manhatten and certain boats could even carry cars. englishtown raceway park is about an hours trip from the ferry and they always have something going on

hey voodoo do you live in staten island ? i grew up there