Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First time radius and flares

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearsforguts, May 18, 2022.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT I can agree with:D

Tman likes this.
  2. Nice job on the little falcon, don't listen to the chest thumpers that think their mindset is the only correct mindset, one day they'll realize that they're just beating themselves up.

Packrat and gearsforguts like this.
  3. twenty8

twenty8

Relax meme 2.jpg

SS327 likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most folks here don't want to admit it, and might even call it fighting words to say that this is a cosplay site.

SciFi conventions, ComicCon, Renn Faire, SCA, Civil War reenactors, etc., and the HAMB.

I have seen it go to blows over the diameter of rings on chainmail. A whole bunch of folks here remind me of that day.

Dooley, XXL__, Gasser 57 and 8 others like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Had to look up cosplay, but I knew what chainmail was. Bob

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it. I am just calling it what it is.

Period-correct chainmail, period-correct military uniform, period-correct car. It is all the same thing, so it needs to be kept in perspective.

It might help for some to take it down a notch when talking about what was done "back in the day". Most folks here were not everywhere, and did not see everything there was to see. Not every magazine published a photograph of every single car.

Many times when this authority is expressed, someone comes along with 1, 2, 5, 10, or 50 photos showing something being done "back in the day". I am told that there is some hidden threshold over which something being being done can be called traditional. Not sure what it is.

I wonder if I will ever know. I hope I find out before liquid fuel is no longer sold, and I am too old to drive, or dead.

hotrodjack33, VANDENPLAS and 19Eddy30 like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

While we are on this hair splitting topic, when were good gas welds replaced with TIG?

clem likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be an excellent piece of trivia to know for sure.

In closing, this pastime is in its twilight years. Some of the younger folks can envision the end of it all. Some of us not so younger folks can see it too.

This site has what some folks would like to believe are a whole lot of members. In comparison to other services it is fairly small. I have worked for corporations that have more employees than there are members here.

Yes, the forum has rules, and it is up to the moderators to decide what stays and what goes.

I just cannot abide by seeing someone getting his hard work verbally cut-up, for a handful of easily changed dress-up parts, wheels that ARE from the period (just late in it), and tires that he probably just had on-hand.

I have FIVE builds underway, you guys have only every seen a partial, tight framing of part of one of them. Many of them are almost HAMB-friendly, but have concessions for safe operation on freeways of a dense metro area.

Many here would find them interesting; however, I have no doubt that someone would run screaming to a mod to get my post deleted.

As for poodle skirts, fuzzy dice, and crybaby dolls, I have not seen any of that at a show in a very long time. I will take your word for it that it exists elsewhere.

What I see at car shows and cruise days/nights are people enjoying cool cars, and having a good time.

Maybe it is because I live is an extremely diverse area, were people are doing all sorts of things that don't interest me, and often don't even understand.

I don't tell them that they are wrong. I don't tell them to stop. It's none of my damned business.

If poodle skirts, fuzzy dice, and crybaby dolls make people happy, that's also none of my damned business. Nobody was put on this earth to please me, or anyone else.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So, not EMS panels ?

49ratfink and Tman like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or EMT ones, even.

11. twenty8

twenty8

We're going to need a bigger soapbox if everyone wants to get on it..............:D:rolleyes:

Tman likes this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I totally agree and have argued this point on other threads that were started,

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. Rodsports

Rodsports

Whats with the negative comments? That Falcon is cool man, dig the flares mate, well done.

gimpyshotrods and gearsforguts like this.
  14. The part I don't like about hot rodding. A guy does a credible job of building a righteous gasser clone and gets pilloried for his efforts because it isn't up to someone's standards. If you want to criticize, go after mine. It is an unabashed pozer, very mild egine, nothing beefed up to stand up to racing, probably wouldn't reach 100mph in a quarter mile. I really doubt this Falcon will lead HAMB down the NSRA path to Yugos, VWs, and Wagon Queen Family Trucksters.

PS I radiused both the front and rear fenders on my Willys.

1-2018-nsra-western-street-nationals-bakersfield-april-27th-30th-2018-04-01_23-01-14_499110.jpg

15. Getting it done, with what's on hand, working in your driveway.
    How can that upset anybody who considers themself a "Hotrodder".

16. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

Thank you for the info. I will check th out

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. Oh and I forgot to mention he drops all the Henry stuff himself.

18. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It all looks great ! I like the headers and the Zoomies. Your building a car, it doesn't get any better than that.
    A build is an expression of the person at that point in time. The HAMB is no different than any where else in that there are more guys with cars than there are car guys.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing that I don't like about the car has nothing to do with aesthetics, or period, or anything else.

It is just the front axle, and that is simply because it could be a life-safety issue, as the vendor is sketchy.

Otherwise, it would have a spot reserved at my car show, right next to my '60 Falcon!

I like to showcase the different things that can be done with a still relatively inexpensive lightweight car from the era.

Mine is a little road-racer inspired. It's a blast to drive, as I am sure that yours is! Mine also has stuff on it that I would get a ration of crap on the board for having.

gearsforguts likes this.
  20. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

I am gonna do some reading about the axle and the company that made it.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To quote myself, as I forgot to include this last night, and this should NOT be construed as a personal confrontation or attack, just and observation: "It might help for some to take it down a notch when talking about what was done "back in the day". Most folks here were not everywhere, and did not see everything there was to see. Not every magazine published a photograph of every single car."

Someone on this thread that had something less than positive to say is the same age as me, give-or-take a few months.

What that means is that person completely missed the HAMB-era, and thus has no direct knowledge of it.

Like that person, what I know of it is from the few magazines that had not yet been thrown away, some vague memories of cars at shows, and the anecdotes of those older than me (and eyewitness accounts make for poor evidence, even in court, under oath).

I did not see everything, I did not learn everything, and neither did any of you, even if you are from "back in the day".

This is why when I go to a show with 1,000 cars, I see clumps of 30-40 that look nearly identical, save for colors.

gearsforguts likes this.
  22. I did French and Indian War living history for a while, the diehards there are even tougher on details and standards! They scrutinize stuff down to type of stitching used! ;)

23. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

I drilled a spot in the center of the axle and it slivers like steel. No powder

Tman likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

There were a few people from my town that fought in those wars, and a lot more in the Revolution, I just have a hard time relating to all the walking that took people from point A to point B.

SS327 and Tman like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is certainly a good sign, as steel is considered better than Iron in this application.

gearsforguts likes this.
  26. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

All the listing I find for this axle say that the material is raw steel.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steel, as you may know, is an alloy of other metals. There are quite a few different alloys that are called steel, as well as getting it into the desired shape. Beyond that, there are as many treatments, if not more that can be applied to steel.

After all, a brick chisel and a quarter panel can both be steel, but trying to use one for the other is questionable.

This is a thing that has happened with a non-Ford axle:
    [​IMG]

This is a thing that has happened with a Ford axle:
    [​IMG]
    That's like 7-8 full turns, without failure, so as you can see, what appears to be alike, is decidedly very much not.

Packrat, 49ratfink, j hansen and 2 others like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This car captures, for me, the spirit of what a gasser is. Is it "correct"? Don't know, don't care.

It brings out my inner 8-year-old, at Frank Maratta's Auto Show. Seeing it fills me with joy.

If that is not what this hobby is supposed to be about, then get your trucks and come get my stuff.

I don't want to do it anymore.

gearsforguts and Tman like this.
  29. Yes, what @gimpyshotrods says about the axle is true. Just do a search for the Hoffman Group aka Helix. We have discussed them many times. Super sketchy operation with a HUGE history of junk parts and questionable lineage. Well worth doing a search. Most all of us just want folks to be safe and not wrapped around a light pole.

Budget36 and gearsforguts like this.