Register now to get rid of these ads!

First time entering a car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BaBa

BaBa

Decided to enter my truck in a couple of the upcoming local car shows. These are both fairly small shows which I have attended before but I have never shown a vehicle before. Any advice for a first timer?

2. Yeah,get a cry baby doll and park with your right front tire on it's head!:D HRP

3. gtowagon

gtowagon

Don't forget to bring some bowling trophys to display

4. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Dont put your hood up unless its some super rare motor.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Don't let a possible trophy keep you from having fun.

And yes, some sort of defamation towards the cry baby doll is required. It'll keep you from winning a trophy, but it'll piss off the guys who are there JUST to win a trophy.

6. i try to stay away from those small local car shows , it seams most of the trouble i have gotten over the years from spectators has been at them...never at a big event like BTT50's. i wont get into the details, but they seam to bring out the jerks who think your car is there for them to abuse and manhandle.

so my advice to you is if you value your truck watch it VERY closely

and have a good time and don't worry about any trophys

7. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

If you must go. Expect nothing, just have fun!

8. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you sense that there's a little apathy/antagonism regarding car shows on this board? ;)

DON'T go expecting to win a trophy. That way, if you do happen to get one it'll be a pleasant surprise. DO leave the bugs on the front bumper, windshield and grille to prove that you drive your truck. (You DO drive your truck, don't you??!) DON'T sit by your truck, walk around and talk to some of the other car owners. DO Introduce yourself to people you don't know. DO compliment the owner of a vehicle you like and get them to tell you a little about it. DON'T try to eat the plastic hamburger that someone will have on a drive-in tray attached to their window.

Just have fun. Even if it turns out to be a total disaster? Down the road even bad days make good stories!

For what it's worth, here's a little more of my take on small-town car shows: http://terrysgarage.com/2011/08/01/support-your-local-car-show/

9. First show I ever went to was a people choice award for the whole show. One plaque for whoever got the most votes. A close friend of mine who I met the night before told me about the show. I went to check out everyone else's car with no intention to enter. After getting harassed by my new friend and others at the show to enter my car I did. There was no entry fee, just a good time to be had. I had not washed my car yet and had rain spots all over and the carpet had some grass on it. Other people are armor-alling their tires and washing the windows. Keep in mind I went to be a spectator only. After all the smoke cleared and the dust settled my name was called up as the peoples choice winner. Yes I felt bad because of the other people hard work they put into their vehicles and I the punk kid that just pulls up and wins. But I never thought I had a chance at winning anything more than a good time. So it is possible that stranger things have happened.

10. 123

from Seattle

Don't block the front of your ride with one of those stupid reader boards telling everyone how long it took to build and thanking people that no one knows, they ruin it for anyone that wants to take a picture and if they want to know this or that about your ride they will ask.

11. Chuck R

Chuck R

In my tiny brain it all boils down to one thing. It's about the people you meet and the friends you make along the way. Have fun, enjoy the day, after all is said and done it's probably going to be a way better day than doing chores around the house. After years of driving all over creation going to shows the part I look forward to the most is seeing my old friends.
    Chuck

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Only enter if your interest is letting others see and enjoy your ride and meet some new people. If your expectations are to win a plastic trophy then you may want to reconsider.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Arrive early enough to avoid long waiting in line.

Leave before they give out trophies.

14. 327Eric

327Eric

Don't expect anything, or dwell on the haters. Got to have fun, there will be plenty of people interested in your truck to B.S. with. All the shows I've entered my P.O.S.'s in where fun times, because I had no expectations.

15. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Bring a spare battery for your radio and blast KC and the sunshine band all the way through the show and dont forget to pile all your elvis and monroe memorbilia on your car

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

If you feel the need to display a model in your truck may I suggest Cindy Crawford?

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Going for the first time is always exciting and fun. 99% of the spectators and other car owners are cool and respectful, but then there is that last 1%. :rolleyes: If you want to stick around the car to answer questions that is nice but also be prepared to hear a few comments that are not so complimentary.

You could take an award winning car there and someone would always have something negative to say, like "Why did he put that engine in there, or I would have done it differently, etc, etc." There are just always going to be those comments and you have to learn to laugh at them and let them go, otherwise you will be rolling around on the ground with every inconsiderate jerk who comes around.

As everyone said, do not feel disappointed if you don't take home a trophy, but if you get one that is always fun. Just go to meet the 99% nice people who you will run into and have FUN.

(Peeing dogs and crybaby dolls are always a hit so you may want to stock up now ;))

Don

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the above. Oh...except for the bowling trophies...LOL!!!

19. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Have your wife and little dog come along so she can sit and knit and you can wear your tee shirt with the picture of your truck so they know who the proud owner is. Enjoy the ride homie!

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Don't park near the cool ass Rat Rods, because you wont get a look if you do! And this is true!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you have the time to stay at a car show all day, by all means go, chancs are you'll have a good time. I'm just burnt out on showing a car, and walk through most shows unless I bump into old friends. Bob

22. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

go to have fun if you have done a lot of work yourself make a poster or photo album to display I made a built not bought one that people luv

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

After 8 years of car shows & cruises , I grew to hate 'em + the spectators !
    dave

24. lawman

lawman

Have been showing cars for some 40 years. Follow everything
    that was posted above and you will be fine.Remember don't turn into
    a trophy hound as it will ruin your life !!!!! LOL

25. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Took my 36 Chevy full fendered street rod sedan to a car show a few years back. Was told at the gate I couldnt enter because this was an antique only show. That was cool ,so I parked my car out in the spectators lot ,went in and walked around met some friends and stayed the whole show until awards time. Best of show went to a channelled 40 Ford coupe street rod with a giant skull painted on the trunk. I was like WTF?????True story.

26. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

My advice is to park somewhere near an exit so you can get in your car and leave anytime you want. Personally I'm good for only an hour or so. After that I get bored, want to leave. You can't leave if you have to drive thru a crowd to get out. After 50 years of doing this I have a short attention span.

27. paintcan54

paintcan54

The only thing I can add is, just go and have fun, check out the other cars, bs with everybody and you will be fine.

28. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You'll be fine if you don't go.

29. The advice above is good...just go to have a good time and meet
    Other old car people. There are some guys I only see once a year
    at a certain show. I took a loose leaf binder and some clear
    Plastic pocket pages to make what i call my fender book...with pics
    Related to the car. Put it on my R front fender on a towel to
    Protect the paint. Am always amazed at how many people look
    At it.

Last show I went to had participant judging--- you get a ballot
    when you register...and you vote on others cars in several categories.
    I left early before awards, not expecting any. A couple days after
    The show, a neighbor came walking up to the house and handed me
    a third place trophy for my class he picked up for me. So--you just
    never know.

30. My advice is don't worry what other people think of your ride. If you win a trophy, cool, if not, no big deal.