Register now to get rid of these ads!

First streetrod nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The first one I went to was the NSRA East that used to be held on Timonium , Md at the fair grounds back in the late 1960's . That was a really good show too ! They have since moved it to York , Pa. !

RetroJim

2. Paint

Paint

Attached Files:

3. Actually,you could have a Maverick to an NSRA event then. They had the Street Machine Division for the newer cars and in '77 it was held in St. Paul the week after the Street Rod Nationals. They were also back to back weeks in Tulsa in '76.

My first Nationals was Detroit '72. Took my younger brothers there and they caught the fever also. Some of you may remember then from the Nationals through the years. Most people who meet them remember them.
    http://krusebrotherscarclub.com/

4. My older brother, God Bless him, drove me down ALL the way down to Columbus, from Cleveland.:D:eek: Circa 1976?? Still have a boatload of pictures, need to scan them and post them. You guys would roll at some of the crazy Rods.(and the bellbottoms and long hair too!)
    I was only about 13yrs old. Got the bug after subscribing to Street Rodder magazine, back in catholic gradeschool, and seeing Jeff Beck's yellow coupe on the cover. (prized posession, still have it)
    JT

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hey NUMBNUTS, he didn't say they entered the event with it, just that they rode there and back in it. You don't miss a chance to expound your vast knowledge of all things HOT ROD do you? Take a break and stop worrying about your post count.:(

Frank

6. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

does anyone have pics of a dark candy red 40 ford with a blown flathead?? cant remember what year nationals.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Rick Schnell's chopped 40 coupe. Probably one of the St. Paul Nationals since he lives just north of there. The car is still in his garage, and looks the same except the flatty now has a Hilborn instead of the blower. He is a master flathead builder, and at one time had the fastest flathead in the 1/4 mile.

8. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

anyone got pics from Columbus '81? or st paul '82? my t bucket was at both, that was back when my dad owned it. i have some old pics ill post them when i get home.

9. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

img001.jpg this is 82 in st paul my t is the 2nd one with the flames

10. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

if i can find the pics from Columbus '81 ill post them later. the 2 t's always ran as a pair from the mid 70's till about 85ish iam sure some of you know the story behind mine...:rolleyes:

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

noclubjoe<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4596064", true); </SCRIPT> YOU SAID
    iam sure some of you know the story behind mine...

WELL WE DON'T KNOW THE STORY Sooooooooooooooooo,

We have nocluejoe ,fill us in! PLEASE.............

12. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

that was my dads t bucket he and the owner of the red t built both those cars at the same time in the same garage. Dad had the car untill about 87 or 88 sold it when i was 4. i always had a thing for that t bucket and wanted it BAD! in 2004 i found the car in a little shit hole garage about 40 miles west of milwaukee, the same guy he sold it too still owned it. the t had been sitting 14 of the 16 years it was gone. i fought with this guy over a price for about 6 months and long story short. i got the car. it was in bad shape sitting all those years so me and my dad took the car part and fixed everything. the old paint job still looked good but alot of the chrome was fucked, the top was ripped, didnt run at all.... well now its back in shape and i drive the shit out of it..:D

13. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

img003.jpg '71-'72

img005.jpg '74

img002.jpg '82-'83ish after the candy paint and new flames

img004.jpg me in 86

DSC00342.jpg 2009

14. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

does that help fill you guys in? is my t bucket "hamb friendly" dont know? and dont really care, but its the reason i love hot rods so much:D

15. 63Compact

63Compact

I was at the third in 77.

16. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Columbus 1978 , I was 12 . Seeing that many cars in one place was mind blowing but one car in particular that was cruising the fairgrounds and the streets was this altered . Don't know what ever became of it , never saw it again . Definitely crazy for back then but would still be crazy today .

Attached Files:

17. Never went to a Streetrod National,but my first shows were at the Great Western Exibit Hall in Commerce,Ca,back in the mid 60's. Used to get dropped off and hung out with my Aunt Sally. Lots of cool Customs back then!!!

18. I have super 8 of 82 in minni. Was lots of buckets in the film, your might be in it. Send me a pic if you have. I'll check

19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Cool story! Like the pic of you as a little kid in it, too. :)

20. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

the t buckets iam looking for are the ones in the above pics that i posted mine is the one with the 32 shell and flames. hope that helps thank you

21. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

thanks! my mom always asks "what happend you used to be such a cute kid!":rolleyes:

22. You must have camped out near us.My son and I were there at that park also_Only one night though.It was so freaking hot that I thought my son was going to get heat stroke so the next day we checked into a motel with air conditioning.I have been in 106 degree heat here in Alabama but that in Memphis along with the humidity was awful.

23. primed34

primed34

Memphis '71 and yes it was a little warm in '80.

24. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

img006.jpg '81

img007.jpg '82 st paul

img008.jpg '82 st paul
    i asked my mom if she had any pics of columbus '81 and st paul '82, here is what she found hope you guys enjoy..

25. rallisracing

rallisracing

My dad and I went to the OKCity show..we were both overwhelmed at the amount and quality of the cars...rode in Larry T's 34 International PU...was just too cool...:cool:

26. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

noclubjoe

Hell yell Joe .

Thats what I'm talking about !

Cool story and thanks for the heads up..

Love your T....

27. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

thanks man, its funny as hell to hear my mom and dad tell the story about all the places they took the car... all the times my dad would drive it like knob and break shit (and he still drives it like a knob a few times a summer) :D. the time he was racing his buddy with other t bucket on the high rise bridge in milwaukee....

28. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Columbus Ohio, 1984 I was 15.

29. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

30. Thanks all for the stories and pics ! Anymore out there ? Now I'm gonna go dig up some ol 70' ties magazines.
    / primerkid