Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical First start in 41 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Feb 13, 2019.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I got an Olds 215 aluminum engine in 1967 and rebuilt it in 1977. The only used parts are the head and block castings. After the engine was built I changed my mind so the 215 has sat for 41 years in a temperature controlled garage. Am now restoring a 1962 F85 convertible with this engine installed. Now for the sought after HAMB advice. Have oiled the cylinders and spun oil pump (80psi) with crank moved every 90 degrees. Do you think this has got lube on the cam lobes/lifters, the timing chain and sprockets, even the wrist pins in the pistons. Keeping in mind everything is brand new, tight clearance, and after 41 years it must be all dripped dry so do you think it is safe to fire it off? Maybe should disassemble and put assembly lube on all the friction parts. Thank you.

chryslerfan55 and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think you already know the smart thing to do is to disassemble it and reassemble with proper lube and not gamble on whether it will live as is.

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I'm not an expert but it sounds like you have primed it pretty good. I would prime it again and put half an ounce of 2 cycle oil directly into the bowl of carb. Fire it up and run it at 1500 rpm for 20 minutes.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Do you trust 40 yr old gaskets to seal up tight, Lot easier to swap them now.

partssaloon likes this.