Register now to get rid of these ads!

FIRST self-propelled automobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Dec 2, 2011.

1. This is an accurate, running replica of the VERY FIRST self-propelled automobile, using steam.
    A Cugnot in 1770. Imagine 93 years before Henry Ford was even born........w/sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsEbeCrPcA8
    <!-- / message -->

2. adamshumard

adamshumard

The phrase " beats walking" really doesn't apply here does it? Still cool. Would have been pretty mad scientist for its time.

3. shadams

shadams

Pretty neat, but driving it apparently sucks with a face full of steam the whole time. It always amazes me to see something from that long ago that is pretty complex as far as all the fabbed up metal work that went into that thing.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. proscriptus

proscriptus
    from Ver-mont

It's less the face full of steam than the fact the boiler is in front of you and you can't see the road.

6. Gotta represent for the home team!
    [​IMG]

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

That's pretty damn cool.

Note: It was used by the French Army to haul artillery, notice the cannon strapped under the chassis.

Rich

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some women would pay good money for that steam facial treatment. Probably not a good business opportunity, though.

Vintage machinery absolutely fascinates me. I'm sure some of the automotive pioneers got a lot of chiding from aquaintances, not to mention what some of their wives must have thought.

"Honey, I'm going out to the shop to work on this steam powered contraption."

"When are you going to fix the butter churn?"

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So does that explain why they never won a war? their artillery never got there on time! :D

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

that cannon is for tailgaters.,lol that thing was pretty rad for its day. hell to drive in the summer but it must have been pretty warm in the winter.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks exwestracer, a sister car to the ones in your photo won the first ever auto race in the USA, Chicago to Evanston and back 54.36 miles. J.Frank Duryea won it in 10 hours 23 minutes on Thanksgiving Day 1895. The second place Benz driver became unconscious from exposure, and the riding umpire was forced to drive the last hour. The other photo is two Locomobile steamers in a 1900 race at the Binghanton State Fair.

Attached Files:

12. Cool..
    The first Daimler was displayed here some years ago...[first internal combustion car] ..was from the 1800s and the transmission gears were exposed...absolutely magnificent machine work! Seems like the gears were all brass if memory serves.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That explains the rear-view mirror... so they can see the war!

14. Now, now, to be fair, they did win the French Revolution...................of course, they fought themselves.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Before this turns nasty, the French DID hold the FIRST Auto Race ever back in 1894.

16. That was a pretty cool video. Thanks.

17. tunes

tunes

I can see why that model didn't catch on with the public. It's not too practical. Still, it's interesting.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You'd think that anyone smart enough to build that would also be smart enough to turn the seat around and drive with all that steam behind them!

19. that was cool. i love to see the old technology... but somehow i kept thinking how i would hook a sbc to it.

20. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

If they would "fire" the cannon, the mph's would pick up considerably.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, I dont get some of the replies on this Thread...

Why is it so hard for some people to give credit where credit is due?

This was the first self propelled vehicle ( the original was ), and it was also the first self propelled military vehicle.
    And the guy that built it happened to be French...

All of us Automotive enthusiasts owe a lot to the French.
    Weither you like it or not.

Ever look into the history of the Offy/ Miller/ Drake?

I'm not a fan of most French automobiles, but like I said...
    Credit where credit is due.

22. Jagman

Jagman

I always wondered why they hung the boiler off the front like that, maybe it was to get traction on the drive wheel? I also really appreciated seeing how it was driven - ratchets on the front wheel! - very interesting and well done replica....

23. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I believe louis chevrolet was french as well. That contraptions is cool. Dig the ratchet drive.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

A lot of early machines dont make sense to us, looking at it now with all the lessons we have learned over the years.

You cant compare this vehicle to what came after, and you cant compare it to what came before.

Because there was no before....

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it's pretty neat. but it does make a good case for a rear engined re-design.

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

Neat machine but the front wheel drive wasn't very smart at all. Wonder how often they had to stop and throw a log on the fire.

27. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Now that some history...

28. i thought Louis Chevrolet was born in Switzerland but raised in france.

29. Louis-Joseph Chevrolet (December 25, 1878 – June 6, 1941) was a Swiss-born American race car driver of French descent, co-founder of the Chevrolet Motor Car Company in 1911 and later, the Frontenac Motor Corporation in 1916 which made racing parts for Ford's Model T.