Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First project Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke_ZZ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Duke_ZZ

Duke_ZZ

Hello, I’m in my Senior year of high school and I’ve been considering getting my first low budget project car. I’ve found quite a lot of 4 door Mopars and Fords from the early 60s to early 70s around my current price range. My plan is to build something with a small block that is somewhat streetable, torquey, and doesn’t have the mass of an airliner to basically screw around with and cumulatively build as Time passes. As childish as it sounds, I just wanted to know your guy’s opinion on 4 door and 2 door cars along with any tips. My autoshop teacher strongly insists I don’t get a 4 door because of them being despised and ridiculed when he was in high school. I’m just kinda lost and looking for opinions.

Im new to this site, however I’ve been looking through a lot of the forums for around a year and appreciate what you guys do. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hi. Welcome. I'm a fairly young guy. As time goes by opinions begin to change. A 2 door is always cooler than a 4 door, but some 4 doors are still pretty cool. The 4 door will be more affordable but will have a lower value. It's up to you to build/buy what you like. The HAMB is a pretty strict 1965 or earlier group, so find a bit earlier car, even if it's a 4 door and you are ready to go! Remember one thing, every vintage car is cool in it's own way. That's my opinion.

Keep it vintage cool and I don't know anyone who wouldn't cruise in these!

Nick images.jpeg large.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta and Texas Webb like this.
  3. belair

belair

2 doors almost always have a higher cool quotient. If you can stick to the early 60s, a 4 door hardtop, not sedan, will put you a little higher on the food chain. If you are able, wait a little longer, save a little more, and buy a car you want in the best condition you can find. Spending more money up front on a car in better shape is almost always a better choice than buying a money pit and time suck. Best of luck.

4. alchemy

alchemy

You are too young to be buying a car that you will keep forever, so you will want to consider resale value. And a tudor will always have a higher resale than a fordor.

Consider that it will take the same $$ and time to fix rust, paint, rebuild the brakes and engine on a tudor and fordor. And when you are done you will probably be prouder of the tudor since it isn't a grandma car. So invest your time and money in something you will enjoy more, and be able to get your money out of later.

belair likes this.

5. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Hell, you’re young so get something that inspires you! We all probably have things we’d have liked to done differently when we were 18. But also all made it here somehow. Whatever it is, make it something that you think about a lot. A project that just sits is no good for anyone. And in my opinion, older is better! (T-buckets are super simple, pickup trucks are pretty cool as well). I actually went looking FOR a 4-door just so I could afford something in decent condition.

patmanta likes this.
  6. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Also, rub elbows with as many old-guy-gearheads you can find. Younger ones are ok too, but usually have less patience. Old local guys/gals are the best, and will have all kinds of ideas that will help you keep it “low budget”.

7. Considered a pickup?

Bandit Billy and patmanta like this.
  8. Welcome to the HAMB Duke zz.all above is good advise,stay and learn,don't be afraid to ask questions.Young folks always welcome here.

Unique Rustorations and patmanta like this.
  9. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

At least put where you are located in your profile. Who knows, someone local might have a project car they would like to see go to a young hot rodder such as yourself.

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

IMG_1313.jpg

this post said it best......keep looking - deals are out there! soneone will be looking to bail on a project with the proverbial "all the hard work done" just need to be in the right place at the right time with cash

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Man, as long as your budget isn't going to dip into your Future Fund, whatever direction that may be, get the coolest (pre-65) car you can that is the most complete and in the nicest condition you can find, regardless of door count or body style. As long as you like it and have fun with it, at your age (and, arguably any age), that's what really counts.

Personally, I'm a big Fan of the wilder looking early 60's MOPARs. Folks couldn't hardly give them away when I was your age and I wish I had bought one instead of saving up until I was 20 (1998) to get a later coupe that ended up being a money pit that I sold for half what I paid for it and thousands less than I had invested a few years later.

There are a lot of these around in nice shape because they usually spent a lot of time garaged and going for Sunday drives; they didn't get beat on for the past 50+ years so you'll usually start with a clean slate to get running and do a low buck hop up upgrade on. You might find a nice slant 6; you might score one with a 360 or even a 440 for $3k or less.

Get the best car that sparks some joy that you can for what you can afford. Worry about door counts when you're older or after you sell whatever sedan you build up to the next teenager with an itch. Your first build isn't going to win you the lottery no matter what most likely so just mind your budget, get on the road, and enjoy something as soon as you can.

[​IMG]

This is HAMB Member Emeritus, sylvian's car.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1962-dodge-dart.716120/#post-8446343

Early MOPAR 4-doors look savage once you add the police caps and big steelies out back. I would rock a car half as nice anywhere anytime.

Unique Rustorations and LAROKE like this.
  12. vickckik

vickckik

A high school friend who had a really good summer job saved his money for a couple of years and bought a new 1961 Ford 4 door sedan. Base model with dog dish hubcaps, column shift 3 speed, plain Jane all the way, almost. It was built with a 401 hp 390, 3x2s and 4.11 gears. The ultimate sleeper. Regularly used to thump on Corvettes. So, I suggest you build a strong running 4 dr . They are so much cheaper and that frees up $$ to invest in running gear. When it's time to sell it, advertise it as a 'sleeper'. Then, when you reach my age, you'll have memories that put a smile on your face every time. Mine was a '48 Ford pickup with a slightly built 302. Passing folks at freeway speeds always got their attention because it just didn't look like it should be that fast.

patmanta likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

We are calling 4 doors grandma cars? Look in the mirror guys. We drive 2 doors and we are the grandparents!

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Jokester

Jokester

I was always told that four door cars have enough doors for two cars. That being said, you have to realize that someday you will want/need to sell it. Two doors sell better/higher. Also, at some point your marital/family status will enter into the practicality of whatever you get.

Good luck and welcome.

.bjb