Register now to get rid of these ads!

History First Oakland Roadster Show car 1950

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

E. Kohen and B Jones of San Francisco entered a car at the fist ever Oakland Roadster show and won the High school division with the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any more photos or information on the Kohen Jones car

It may be the same car that I have been rebuilding in this Hamb Thread

I have email Mongomery and Southard and AHRF and on and on looking for clues to this car, Need some help here.

I found this reference this morning while doing a search for Kohen and Jones

Hot rod magazine article from 1950

2. I really don't think it's the same car - Your other thread traces lakes racing to the early 50's and THEN Oakland show. The Kohen & Jones car was a show car in 1950.
    Also can see quite a few discrepancies - The upholstery wrap over the doors is a different style and comes over further on the K&J car. The head lights look different. The front bumper is different. The windshield frame and stanchions are different. The seat is different. the K&J car had an Aluminum firewall, which your car doesn't. front frame horns look different. The K&J car looks to have 23 louvers in the hood side, I count 20 on yours, but I could be off on the K&J count, certainly the style of the hoods are strikingly similar. The bottom of the grille seems to kick forward quite a bit more on yours as well. I can't see the tube shock mounts on the original either.
    And then there is the whole Merc flathead versus SBC. And the exhaust is different, but that could have come with the motor swap.
    Now granted some or all of those things could have been changed but along with your story that the guy you got it from, I'm not sure it adds up. My guess is they both were built around the same time and had influence but are two different cars. Keep digging though, you never know, might be the same ride.

3. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks, thats kind of my take on it also, but here is the weird thing, no one named Zunino ever entered a car at Oakland Roadster show according to in the know sources.

4. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Still Looking on any info on this old Car ? It has been Suggested that I contact Blackie, I will bring some photos of it with me to Santa Maria and hopefully I will run into him.

Register now to get rid of these ads!