Register now to get rid of these ads!

First longer trip - tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Keep, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Keep

Keep

I am about to embark on my first longer trip with the T. Its only a 8ish hour trip but much of it will be on the disaster we call the 401.

I will see lovely Buffalo, Erie PA, Cleveland and then finally Columbus. If any sees me bombing down the highway in a tbucket, honk and say hello (just stay in your damn lane!)

[​IMG]

This is a "test" trip. The next one will be about 18 hours heading to the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton.

So any tips?

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Bring tools.

Especially duct tape. Ask me why :D

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I made the run from Ancaster, Ontario to California last summer. You are close to parts stores so don't go to crazy with packing water pumps and alternators.

Tools are a must.
    I would bring distributor parts just in case.
    Extra lengths of good wire.
    Light bulbs.
    Fuses.
    Header bolts.
    JB Weld.

Where are you heading?

BTW Flip those white letters in man!

Jay

4. I'm sure you wont need it but don't forget the fire extinguisher.

5. Keep

Keep

I have a fire extinguisher in the bed, along with a tool kit that can strip the car to the frame. When I was building I made sure to use the same fasteners as much as possible.

(I also have Hagerty Plus for 200km towing!)

6. Before you depart, spend an evening tightening ALL the fasteners on the car.

Put the car up on jackstands, grab a handful of wrenches and screwdrivers, start at the front and work your way to the rear. I bet you'll be surprised by how many are just a little loose... :eek:

While on active duty in the Navy, I drove my '55 back and forth from VA to CA several times. Thoroughly preflighting the car made a world of difference. :)

7. Keep

Keep

Columbus Ohio, heading down for Fathers Day.

I plan to, originally I was going to paint the rears to match. For some reason the BFG's in the size on the rear do not come with the white lettering.....wtf...

8. Keep

Keep

Good tip Gary. I will do that tonight.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Is there a show in Columbus, Ohio this weekend Keep?
    Jay

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Great idea about checking every nut and bolt on the car..........I hadn't done mine for a while and found the bolts holding the transmission to the bellhousing were finger tight ! :eek:

Break up the trip into short segments between rest stops. Even to just stretch you legs and get a cold drink. The longest at one time I have driven my cars is 5 hours and even that is different than jumping into your newer daily driver and doing it. The wind, the noise, the rougher ride, and having to pay attention 100% of the time takes it toll on you, so rest stops are important.

Don

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Keep in mind, I had Hagerty when my Rod broke down. Called them for a tow. It took 3 hours to get one. When I asked the tow driver why? He said first priority was police, then AAA, then everyone else. After that, I call my station (Sheriff) and have them get me a tow, plus it's free anyway. :D

13. Sounds like you covered all of the bases....Oh...How about that extra key...I hate to have to hot wire things:cool:

14. pitman

pitman

Roadsta? Ear plugs! Couple of sets, and hats w/a brim.

15. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

cell phone with charger..

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAMB 'Help List' of members w/ phone numbers in case of a breakdown along the way.

17. Ralph

Ralph

x2 on the ear plugs. Makes a huge difference in your fatigue level at the end of the day.

18. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

The list of HAMBers along the way is a great idea. I'm on the east side of Cleveland let me know if you want my cell number. Be safe and have fun.

19. Keep

Keep

Well I have a 11 gallon tank, I "should" get about 20mpg. So 200ish miles is the max I can go without a break. I do not see that happening, I plan on stops every 2 hours or so. Figure I will be stuck at the border for a bit as well.

I am not sure if there is a show in Columbus or not, I am taking the roadster down to take my Father for a ride, that's the main reason, everything else is secondary.

I have some earplugs packed, I also added wind wings in the last week and they make a HUGE difference in the wind in the face factor.

Yeah I figure if I break to the point of needing a tow, I will be waiting a while.

I will have my blackberry with a roaming plan in case I need to hit the HAMB for a "Help me" post.

Keep them coming this all helps.

Oh yeah, I already packed some sun block, learned that the hard way last year.

20. Don't forget some wet weather gear as well. Even when there's nothing on the forecast, I always seem to drive through a shower or two on any trip longer than 400 miles.

21. Keep

Keep

haha I just bought a new rain jacket today. Though without wipers or fenders, driving in the rain is not much of an option.

I should be okay for Friday and Sat, Sunday might be a bit iffy for the ride home, but I should be able to make it home without hitting any storms.

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Your weather for this trip couldn't be better in my opinion. 60's at night, and mid 70s and sun all day..... Perhaps advil incase you get a back ache?

Your gonna have a great trip !

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

ignition.getter-done

24. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Sun screen might be a good idea. I have done some 800 mile trips on a Harley and my biggest problem is keeping hydrated. Drink plenty of water. Being in an open car always takes more out of you. Take a hat. Fix a flat is always good to have.

25. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I had a bucket for a while. It doesn't go if it doesn't fit in your pocket. Cell phone, basic tool set, hammer, crescent wrench and a screwdriver, and a big grin. SOme good buddies to call in case of emergency.

Devin

26. OLLIN

OLLIN

Aaa premier, small scissor jack, collapsible gas can, fix a flat.
    Jb weld,

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

We drove our '51 Ford woodie 12,000 miles in eight weeks last year. The most commonly used tool was a 12 volt test light. Include a 10-12 foot length of 12 ga wire, a few 3M 'tap' connectors, a small assortment of crimp on connectors (and the crimpers!) and the schematic of your wiring system if you have it. Also take a small fuel filter, a set of points and condenser, a couple hose clamps (they can be used for MANY things) and a utility knife.

Tool-wise, imagine doing a variety of R & R's and see if you have all the tools to do them.

I agree that the best thing you can do to prepare for the trip is put the car up on stands and check every nut, bolt, hose and wire, the wheel bearings and the brake and fuel lines.

I drove my roadster from San Fran to NYC and back in 1980 and did Americruise in 2000.... my wagon has all the comforts of a modern car but you 'see' so much more of the country from a roadster. Take the 'two lanes' whenever you can. That's where America is - not on the freeway.

Happy trails!

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Biggest thing I would suggest is not just bomging down the highway - unless all you care about is getting there as fast as possible with the least amount of enjoyment. Take your time and take the smaller roads and actually see and enjoy things along the way. And don't drive at night. It is very hard to see much of anything interesting at night.

29. Obviously tools, and a fire extinquisher, but 2 things I never leave at home when taking a long trip in a hot rod, a cell phone and a good ole CB radio, even if its just a handheld emergancy type. There are lots of places a cell wont pic up a tower, but if you stay on well traveled routes, there will always be a trucker along you can CB for help.

30. Keep

Keep

Thanks for all of the advise folks. I am about to head out!