Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical First hand reviews on "steer clear" unit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Anybody running one with plenty of use?

2. Don't think I have heard of one. HRP

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. I've seen one in a 34 Chevy and to be honest it looks sketchy and certainly appears like they are made for power parking street rods that don't get driven too much. HRP

Atwater Mike and Tman like this.

5. Duellym

Duellym

I want one but I don't have the bucks to spend on the thing.

6. Yep that's it.

That's what I'm thinking, but I know looks can be deceiving. They aren't cheesy money though.
    Hence my inquiry.

That's the design that easily in one step gets me a 3 things - decent steering column angle, foot room and dodges the big ole hemi head.

7. My friend is helping another guy build a "Zipper" style T - and they've used one of these - I think some of the doubt about their effectiveness may come from the "polished billet" look - it appears to me to be a pretty well made solution to a problem that comes up in certain builds.

8. So no usage yet, right?

9. Steve had one of these units in his 1934 Chevy street rod and to my knowledge in the 3 or 4 years he had the car he never experienced any steering problems but the main driving was back and forth to a show from a motel and then back in the box for the ride home.

He sold the car and a few months later the car was totaled when the new owner ran a stoplight,the accident had absolutely nothing to do with the steering and a lot to do with drinking and driving. HRP

10. Wasn't there a thread before titled something like "EZ STEER"? The OP was in AUS, and it was junk from the get go? Crazy shims, metal flakes, poor craftsmanship and a hassle with the vendor? He tried , but I think he threw in the towel.......

And I do agree on all the obstacles posted, as I have the same.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. dan31

dan31

I have one on my 31 coupe ,I've put a couple thousand miles on it and have had zero problems. I used it out of necessity due to a 2 1/2" chop,3" channel and being 6' 5" with a prothetic leg. Needed to get the column out of the lower firewall/toeboard area with all that going on. I have had people question the chain drive aspect of its design but thats ok i have always wondered about rag joints.

12. I'd paint it black and mount it inside the fire wall. It would also not be plumb so it needs to be invisible and do its job in secrecy and without its billet glory :p

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

14. Ez-steer is a tradional style box by horrid John - the box from hell. Nothing but trouble

RICH B likes this.
  15. Not the same thing. HRP

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I looked at these when they came out. The design and thinking is good, but there's just something about it that made me pass.

17. ^^^^^ 5 yrs since the post and CRS will do that to you...... But I do (really) remember seeing something here about one of those units with issues. Really! Haven't even taken the nightly meds yet! Maybe it's time.......

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Don't they use a similar deal in some oval track cars?

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Back in the day they used to run a chain and sprocket to get center steering. Nothing fancy, just two sprockets and a chain.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I put a few in cars at a street rod shop , personally I don't like the idea of them or a uni-steer or any other whiz bang new fangeled bs , but you weren't asking for that opinion were you? ;-)

As a machinist in a previous life I can say from an outer appearance they seem to be made well and seem to operate smooth, I don't remember having one apart but do remember thinking they were made fairly well for what it is , I think they are just straight cut gears back to back, I believe they are made in Sacramento ,CA

21. 348tripower

348tripower

I have one in my 47 Dodge Coe. 12000 miles and no problem at all!

22. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Wouldn't take much wear before you have a couple of inches slack at your steering wheel rim. Add that to slack in the steering box etc, probably give real loose steering.

23. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

I have a steer clear in my Dodge Roadster, they are a robust unit that should give goodservice life with no maintenance required...I believe they are now making a ratio up and ratio down unit to quicken or slow the ratio, as well as off-set the steering column shaft.

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

24 posts (25 with this one) 3 answered the question. Lots of opinions but only a couple with real life experience. This all seem positive.
    31 Vicky, you could build it yourself. It is not rocket surgery.

D.S.327 likes this.
  25. I see that Posies offers a product similar to this also. They have it in two sizes, 5" & 10".

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

27. How true that is.
    Rocket trickery and mathamagicians can get a bunch of liars on the moon, how hard could this be? Right?

I'm thinking Ill have to farm out the machine work, source parts and design/draw calculate so that will put me over cost of just pushing a button and having it show up in a day or two. That's All based on the assumption it's a quality product worthy of the cost and a solid delivery on the value. This thread is intended to eliminate that assumption, not emulate the assumption.

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. How long has yours been on the road ?

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't have firsthand experience to relate however I did consider using one in my RPU earlier on.

I'm impressed with them myself.
    Best new product,best engineered product at SEMA 10 years ago.

I'm sure that in that time they have sold a lot of them and they would probably be willing to put you in contact with someone who has some time and miles on one or more of their units.

They have a FAQ page.

http://www.wizardsteerclear.com/

30. dan31

dan31

They do not lose up as they are made with a heavy duty chain . Lets think about it, the chain is barely moving side to side as you drive and only performing maybe 2 or 3 revolutions when you turn lock to lock. Compare that to a timing chain. No they are not hard core traditional,yes they will bail your ass out when there is no other way.

falcongeorge likes this.