Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods first fire up on E85 video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4thhorseman, Dec 17, 2015.

1. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I did this about a month ago. Swapped in Quickfuel metering blocks (green), drained the tank of gasoline and rejetted. The rest of the fuel system was already good to go. Added a few gallons of pump served moonshine and away we go. Since this video the tune up has been fattened a bit more and I believe it's now dialed right in. Anyways, here's some ear candy...

2. Sounds good, if I moved about 300 miles in any direction I could run on E-85 LOL I got an engine on the stand that would be totally streetable if I could get that stuff here. You lucky dawg you.

Anyway sounds good the only thing I would change is that I would paint 370 CU, IN. on the scoop and let 'em be surprised when I out ran 'em. :D

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I built the engine in BGII, my '31 Hiboy, I wanted to build it to run E-85, with a compression ratio that would take advantage of the high octane qualities of E-85.
    But I live in a small town of maybe 30K-40K population, and the only station carrying E-85 was one that had a contract to sell E-85 to the federally operated vehicles here in town, mostly post office trucks. They were only open 8:00-6:00 M-F and I didn't want to be needing fuel on a weekend and not be able to get it, and so I instead built with a pump gas compatible C-R.
    Now the station no longer even sells any kind of gas and is a mech shop only and the closest E-85 is maybe 35-40 miles away. Don't know what the post office is doing, maybe back on E-10, Dunno
    But I'm sure as hell glad I didn't build a 12.5:1 engine counting on E-85 for fuel!

5. LOL there is not an E-85 station anywhere here in the metro that I know of. There are several hundred thousand people here in Megalpolis. When they first started touting E-85 there was one station listed and it was in a part of town that you had to be strapped to go to, no one there would have needed it. It gets better the station in question had been boarded up for several years when it was posted as having E-85. LOL

In this part of the country the best place to find it is in Iowa, about any little burg up that way has it at least my last trip through there that was the case. I wish it had actually caught on, but the logistics of it were too immense. if you live someplace that has it you are blessed. ;)

Ok I said all that to say this, BTTT this vid needs to be heard by every one on the board, as a matter of fact one should get temporarily banned for refusal to listen. LOL

Turn the sound to full and blast everyone out of the cube. ;)

Uh don't do that with your headphones on, I am bleeding from one of my ears now. :eek:

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About to do the same thing but on the bow tie side of things. What size carbs and jets are you running? What size is the blower?

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I hope that your fuel pump is ethanol compatible.
    KK

8. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Thanks for the kind words PB!

Deuced Up! those are 950cfm HP blower carbs with 92 jets squared all around now. They're on a worked over real GMC 6-71 that is 15% overdriven to make 7psi on my 523ci BBF. For an all out build that many cubes should have a bigger huffer but this wasn't intended to be all out.

KK, yes, I run an Aeromotive A1000 and feed it with an AN-10 braided.

I did the E85 conversion to try it out. We have 3 service stations serving it up all within 20 miles of my home. The closest is only 2 miles away. A bunch of the forced induction guys here run it and brag about the cost and advantages of using it with turbos and superchargers on the street. I kept my gas metering blocks jetted and untouched and filed them away so I could switch back in about an hour if I decide I don't like it or move and cannot locate it any longer.

But for now, burning less dino gas than a prius. Imagine that.

9. That thing sounds wicked!!! Love the scoop. On top. Killer car. Played the video for my 8 year old and all he said was "your model A should sound like that dad, blowers are cool". I've trained you well son.

Montana1 likes this.
  10. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Wow,
    There are a number of circle track cars up here running it, i like the sweet exhaust smell.
    A buddy of mine converted a 80s chevy pu to run it using a edelbrock carb, came out one day to find the truck out of gas, the teenage kid down the street couldn't get his car to run right for about 2 months....

11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Love the "blower surge" sounds angry!

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Absolute Music.....Period !! :)

13. We have E85 pumps all over the place by me, at least the Valero and maybe the new BP stations. I see a lot of flex-fuel cars around too. Did I say cheap? Think its down to around $1.59, gas-gas is about $2.07.

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Here in Iowa we thank you all for using E-85 . We have ethanol plants every 15 miles or so.Keeps the grain trucks busy.

15. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I'm sure you know E85 has a variable ethanol range. This makes optimization a challenge
    and for sure w/o engine management. Check out Quick Fuel's checker

16. Mean Nasty blown coupe! My kind of hot rod! Sounds ready for some TEST HITS!

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Extremely Wicked...Love it. I have a 454 with a brand new Weiand 6-71 (their latest attempt to get back to the old school GMC6-71 look. I have two 660 Center Squirters on it. That is the reason I asked. My carb guy has worked them over pretty good during the E85 Conversion and thinks we have enough with them (me I am not sure yet). We are about to find out though. Same as you not trying to run Top Fuel or anything so 6-71 was my choice as well. With current pulleys we I am looking at about 11% overdrive...I will be surprised if it pulls 5 pounds. We shall see...about to fire it as well.

18. Sounds great, is there any ill effects from having it that lean to make the surge ? It would only be lean in the idle circuit right ?