Register now to get rid of these ads!

**First Chopped Merc EVER!!**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusk, May 26, 2007.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Maybe thats why most of Kurts restorations are not spot on and he takes a ton of liberties to change things to his likings.Dont bother me none! Kurt rules! However I think it would really be funny if you walked up to him and he was shitfaced and cursing like a sailor!!haha! That will never happen.He is one refined nice dude!

2. T-Roy

T-Roy

That car is gorgeous. I saw it and didn't know the history behind it. I've just never read much about them, to even realize what I was looking at when I saw this car. Thanks for the post.

-Troy

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't know it was the Barris Merc until I looked inside and saw the artilces sitting on the front seat. I always think of it being a lighter green. maybe it's the color reproduction from the old motor trend cover that I see in my head when I picture that car.

to come up with those proportions and modifications when the car was new and no others were done yet says a lot about Sam's eye for what is right.

makes you wonder if he would have had a hand in building things like the Bob Hope golf cart that George built in the 60's.

the main reason there was no giant crowd around was it was across the street from the park in the Paso Inn. if it was parked in the "John d'Augustino area" on the grass it would have got more attention.

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

If, at the end of my run as an old man, I can ever make one of my Mercs look remotely like that, I will donate my tools and whatever Mercs I have left and walk away. Maybe take up quilting or something.

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Just so everyone knows,the fundamentals are the same as the 41--48 business coupes like Snookys.(bringing the posts straight down at the 1/4 windows).That part of the roof dont go forward.And on Quesnels they slanted the posts after they had this taken care of which is why it does not look like one of these lame modern day chops with the 1/4 windows 4 inches shorter than they should be....and the rear window moved forward which is always a fuckin mistake.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm glad George doesn't own it... He certainly wouldn't respect it. He's already taken more than enough credit for his brothers work. I'd rather see it in the hands of someone who obviously cares and can give the TLC it needs...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's another couple of views... been having troubles posting today. if they do not show up click the link.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

10. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Just tonight I was thumbing thru one of my old R&C's by Ganahl and ran across a b&w of the car on a trailer. The caption said it was on its way to restoration by the owner's sons who had a shop. I was wondering how the car turned out. Thanks for the post. It's beautiful.

11. daign

daign
    from socal

Amazing car. I'd be scared out of my mind every time i look in the rear view with no tail lights unless I'm missing something here. Maybe it has a brake light hidden at the bottom of the back window?

I don't trust anyone behind me even WITH tail lights .

12. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

Just to clear things up, the Merc is not finished. Its was on its way to the upolstery shop from Paso, and a few things left to do like the tail lights. It will be done complete by Jan GNRS.

Later Darryl

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Look out Darryl.Tommorow Ill be posting pics of the first chopped Merc on the eas coast done by Frank Maratta on 54.It has enough taillights in it for two cars !

14. Mmmmmm, how swwweet it is?!! (ala Johnny Carson)

15. He did a nice job.

Sam.

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

How old was this car when the chop was done?

17. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I almost wanted to build an altar next to this thing and sacrifice a few goats.

18. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

According to Pat Ganahl's"The American Custom Car"book,page 42, it was built in 1950

19. This was by far the coolest car at the show. It was too bad that it was not actually inside the event although it did make it easier to look at. To me this is the perfect custom and the restoration is stunning. Well done Darryl! I can't imagine what people must have thought when this first rolled out of the Barris shop back in the 50's it is jaw dropping now and chopped mercs were everywhere at Paso.

20. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

This is what always amazed me about kustoms of the 50's...could you imagine buying a new car, (back then & paying all that cash) and then cutting the hell out of it while it was still, "new"? Talk about balls.

Cool post. Thanks!

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wonder if the rear quarter window would have looked better if the drip rail was still there. It's till a beautiful kustom.

22. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I dont know......I think this is one of the very few chopped Mercs that look good with the drip rail shaved.

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Honestly? THIS should win Tech week. Now, I get it. Really, I get it. Anthony saved me from an ASS chopped shoebox coupe.

24. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Man, haven't had time to be on the HAMB for ages, but a friend called and said: WATCH THIS! I just say: WOW!!!!

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANT KUSTOM CAR OF ALL TIME. (and one of the best designed one too...)

SAM RULES!

Totally amazing.... Hope to see it live someday...

25. weez

weez

The highlight of this Paso for me, definitely.

26. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Just a bad ass looking sled, wish it was mine!

27. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

PERFECT from the start,,i totally agree with what Buzzard said,,,its so true,,,

28. HotRodHarry

HotRodHarry

Seeing Sam's merc up close was totally worth my trip to paso. The pics I took and see do not do the car justice. I can can make sense as to why there wasn't a huge crowd around it. My reasoning behind it is it definately separated the people who knew what and who's it was from the ones who thought it was just another chopped merc. Which by the way you could tell who was who by overhearing and general conversation with different people. I think it was a good idea leavin it over in the paso inn lot because it made it availible for the people that are truely into all this able to get a really up close look and take some good pics without a mob scene around it.