Register now to get rid of these ads!

First car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wat_Tyler, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Okay, the Old Car bug has bitten me again, after a very long hiatus. I am nearing being in a position to be able to get something interesting to drive. My background is more toward restoration, but hotrods (proper ones) have always had an allure which has drawn me.

I am thinking about a couple of different things. I'd like something gangster era, and maybe not run-of-the-mill, although a Ford does have an awful lot of admitted advantages. I have always like the 40's-era torpedo bodies. And I really like '55-56 Chryslers and DeSotoes. I realize that each has its own pros and cons. I'm thinking maybe a driver for starters would be nice, so I could park the truck of an evening and crank up something that everyone doesn't have a clone of, or will. Then there is also the idea that one car may not fill the entire bill, that a second would be required in another year or two.

So, the question is, were you in a position to buy a first car, like a middle-aged kid, the big kid in my shoes, what would you get?

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

This may sound odd but I believe the dash has a lot to say in the decision.
    When driving what do you see the whole time? The dash...the gauge cluster.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Best thing for you to do is get to a good event like the Roundup in Austin THIS weekend. Plenty of guys willing to give a ride to a potential returnee to the old car world.

4. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I was thinking hood/hood ornament. Or motometer. But you do bring up a point.

Which would be a nice thought, save for all of the real estate that separates me from Tejas. But attending some shows is a good idea. I have done a bit of scouting.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is available? That must have a lot to do with your decision. After all you can't walk into your local DeSoto dealership and sign on the dotted line for a new 56 convertible (would be nice though).

Scan the Kijiji and Craigslist ads until something catches your eye. Look for something in good condition for the best price. You will be sure to see something you like within a week or 2.

6. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

That certainly is a huge factor. I'm watching the local rags, looking at C/L from time to time, and scoping out Ebay and Hemmings online. It's as much for budget determination as well as availability at this point, too.

I want to sell some non-automotive stuff I already have to make room and cash for a plotted purchase, too, so I need to get on the stick with that.

7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

face and butt

8. I would hold out until everything came together and then get what I've always wanted but could never have.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Incidentally Chrysler products are an excellent choice and often overlooked. They tended to be ahead of their times with things like power steering, 3 speed automatic, torsion bar suspension, etc.

10. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I missed my numbers on that $600M+ lottery drawing the other week. :) Good point, however. There was this '31 DeSoto roadster an Ebay week before last, like Granddad used to own, only gorgeous . . . .

And hydraulic 4-wheel brakes. Going is great, but stopping is pretty nice, too. I like the beginnings of the Forward Look., and that a lot of them have early hemis, and that Generation 3 hemis will likely fit where those old wedges are, too.