Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First Av8 build, need help!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Axel de Groot, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Hello, my name is Axel and i am currently building my first hot Rod. Its a 1930 ford model a coupe. I bought the car january 2016, drove it since then with the standard driveline only a hopped up four banger.

Now its time to put a 1946 59ab ford flathead v8 alongside a 38 gearbox in it. Got most of the things figuered out, im planning to box the frame and put a 32 k-member in it.

Now to my question, do i need to change the rear axle? Will the model a rear axle be to weak for a 100hp flathead v8? Or should i look for a later ford banjo rear end?

I know of a guy selling a 39 rear axle complete with wishbones, spring and brakes. Now is that a ”bolt on” converting or do i need to make any radical changes to fit a 39 rear axle on?

As i am from sweden my english might not be the best, but i hope you guys understand me.
    Also, i am new to H.A.M.B. so if there already some good thread on this subject please let me know (i have searched but couldnt find any thread that answers my question)

Best regards, Axel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut likes this.
  2. 1940Coupe

1940Coupe

Pretty sure that ‘A’ will be no good for the V8.

Think the axle would be a straight swap. I’m pretty sure someone will be along to confirm.

48fordnut and Axel de Groot like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

If you have a very heavy right foot.....the A axle may not stand up too long.
    There are lots of AV8's w/A axle out there doing just fine.

The '39 in the long run is a very good choice. Juice brakes for one. Good width for another.
    No, it is not a "drop" in and go swap.
    A axle has spring over the '39 is spring behind so some mods are necessary but pretty easily done.
    Good luck.

98Racer likes this.
  4. How hard are you going to drive your hopped up A . My AV8 has a nice model A Banjo axle and close drive line no issue .
    If you swap to a Early V8 banjo rear axle your going to have to cut the drive line down .
    The only issue I had was firewall clearance With fuel tower / oil fill pipe and cap .
    I made a S pipe for the fuel stand oil pipe and cleared the FW

48fordnut likes this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Buy the book "how to build a traditional ford hot rod" by Tardel and Bishop, It outlines everything:D

31hotrodguy and FlatJan like this.
  6. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Already have the book, its a great one!

48fordnut likes this.
  7. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

What do you mean by cut the driveline down? You mean shortening the torque tube?

8. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

I have another question. When it comes to steering. Ive heard that f1/f100 are one of the best/ most common option, but since they are hard to find here in sweden i wonder if it is possible to use the stock model a steering box? Will i have enough clearence to the headers, wich headers should i use if i want to run the stock model a steering box?

Cheers.

9. ydopen

ydopen

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm sure the Tardel book outlines everything you need to do to build an A v8. My Pops used his Tardel book to build his. IMG_0893.JPG

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm working on an A as well and have heard of using a shorter pitman arm to reduce the effort at the steering wheel when using a 2-tooth box. Do builders commonly shorten the pitman arms themselves by cutting and welding? Are they cast steel so that cutting and welding would be relatively straight forward? If cutting and welding to shorten the pitman, I would assume a slow cool-down after welding.

Sorry to barge in on the thread with my side bar question.

Lynn

12. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

CW Moss sells a short pitman arm for the a box.ive got one but haven't installed it yet

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

There must be other European old trucks that have a drag link type steering box that would work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The Model-A axle will hold out if you're not stupid. Buy the 39 anyway. Converting a Model-A rear axle to hydraulic brakes is a bit more involved than later axles. The 39 axle is the better axle but you have to shorten the driveshaft. You need to very accurate. It's not a two hour job.

You don't need to box the frame. The K-member conversion is the way to go. Check with your state inspection before boxing. It may be illegal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. e z i

e z i

IMAG0770.jpg IMAG0076.jpg My 31 has a 59a, 37 transmission, stock 31 rear banjo and it's held up just fine.
    Granted, I don't drag race it or dump the clutch, but I do drive it like I stole it occasionally. I think an A banjo is just fine and dandy under considerate driving with a flathead, plus it's already in the car, so it's hassle free...
    I'm using a 50 f1 steering box, and brakes
    And those are darn near bolt in as well.

Never2low likes this.
  16. cederholm

cederholm

Gonna keep an eye on this post - it's outlining my future!

e z i - LOVE your car!

~ Carl

Axel de Groot likes this.
  17. image.jpeg If you run the model A banjo axle with your 59 the fuel tower will hit the fire wall. This was my solution .

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

How much of a chop, looks good.

19. e z i

e z i

3". Thanks!