Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firing order change SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I read about some Drag Racers changing the firing order, on their Small Block Chevy's. I forgot which two cylinders were involved (One on each bank) but it said that all a person would have to do is change the Cam and switch the two wires on the Distributor cap. The Crankshaft was already in the correct position, so that wouldn't have to be changed. I haven't read any other articles about this changeover, maybe it didn't do that well on the street. Anyway, I was wondering if it was worth it and at what RPM range it worked best ..... Anyone try or know about this?

2. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Search summit and they have the cams for it. I dont know if it ever showed any noticable gains.

3. Just curious, but what would that accomplish?

4. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Re: Just curious, but what would that accomplish?
    That's what I'm trying to find out!

5. Window Licker

Window Licker

6. aaggie

aaggie

Usually change #4 and #7 in the order. With tri-y type headers you can pick up about 15 HP. The cam grind remains the same just the position of the lobes for 4 and 7 are changed. Sounds a little strange at idle.

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

They call it a 4-7 swap and it supposed to smooth out the engine. I think it changes the fireing order so it sounds like 5.0 ford or 351W ford.

8. sdluck

sdluck

Because 5&7 are next to each other in the firing order,the is the chance of the intake not having enough time to fill the cylinders,also more heat in that corner because of the exhaust also being the same.This is not true of IR like 4 webers or IR fuel injection.18436572 Some report large gains 30 hp,some very little 6hp

9. Finally Cheby catchs up and realises that FORD RULES :D

Essentially its the same firing order as the "Y" Block Ford engines.

As I understand the theory behind it ,it allows for better exhaust scavenging thus more H.P.

Oldmics

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

You beat me to it...I was told it wouldnt matter in our sprint car stuff since the injectors had their own air source per cylinder. Nascar boys also say the big lift/big overlap in their valve trains makes the problem more obvious. I wont even get into the scavenging exhaust part of their theory. Way too complicated.

11. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I think vintage Olds engines were 4 & 7 swapped also....?

12. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Some racers used to do that around here. It gives the engine a funny buzzing sound.

13. Ha! Sorry. I meant to say what had you heard it was suppose to accomplish.:)

14. classic gary

classic gary

um, aren't the LSx GM engine 4/7 switched compaired to Gen 1 sbc ?

15. It's mostly for durability and also helps maintain consistant tuning in extreme performance conditions.

"GM adopted a special firing order in its LS engine series (Gen 3 and 4), which feature a 4/7 and 2/3 swap for the same reasons...to smooth out the harmonics in the pursuit of greater engine durability and to potentially generate more power. Power gain potential aside, the primary reason to address (and alter) cylinder firing order is to achieve a smoother-running engine (a smoother, more lineal acceleration ramp), with less harmonic effect (and crank deflection) on the crankshaft and its main bearings."

"According to engine builders at Reher-Morrison, Pro Stock drag engines typically take advantage of a 4/7 swap. Swapping cylinders 4 and 7 in the firing order eliminates the fuel distribution and heat problems caused by cylinders 5 and 7 firing in succession. With the revised firing order, the two end cylinders don’t have to fight for fuel from the manifold plenum. The result, in many cases, is a measurable power increase (typically 8 to 10 hp) and a smoother, cooler-running engine."

- those HP numbers are on a 1300 HP engine, so by percentage it ain't much.

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I don't doubt the firing order change has the advantages mentioned...but...When the 66 396 ,325 and 360 hp engines came out all the magazines were impressed with what they called turbine like smoothness compared to the other Muscle cars.I noticed this too back then.BBC firing order is 18436572
    Some tuners also mention possible ignition cross firing between 5 and 7.

17. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Wouldn't this apply to ALL vintage (non-LS) GM V8's with that firing order?

18. What else needs to be changed to effectively see an improvement?

Steve

19. filthy frank

filthy frank

the car i work on , has a different cam setup , the firing order is 18724365 instead of the normal 18436572 order . on a nitrous motor , it helps keep the cylinders cooler.

20. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The 4/7 swap does make the firing order the same as a Ford flathead or Y-block. Interesting to note, though, that when Ford went from the Y-block to the FE, they swapped 2 & 8, giving their engines the Chevy firing order.:confused:

21. Danny G

Danny G

The sbc in my stude has 4-7 and 2-3 swapped. It helps at higher rpms around 8500 to 9000

22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

sdluck is right on. I run one in my o/t NHRA Stocker drag car. Never ran the coventional way as this is a known positive so I have no back to back testing to report what it is worth. I know many that have dyno and track tested it and it never hurt horsepower. As has been stated, cam selection dictates how much it helps.

23. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

No problem Bro!
    I Wonder why the cam companies don't push it in their adds?

24. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Thanks for the info...
    Now I'm smart too!:D

25. yekoms

yekoms

Paulie9fingers explained it just right. Big cube engine benefit a little bit. Cam grinders don't push it cause its more hassle for them. They need a diifferent cam core to grind and folks get confused about the firing order.
    Smokey

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you think about it, it changes the order to fire left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, instead of L, R, R, L, R, L, L, R.

It would smooth out the exhaust and I suppose somebody also made an intake manifold to take smooth out the intake flow.

27. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Thanks for your info!
    I guess it would increase the horsepower
    IF: You modify the intake manifold too!

28. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

If I recall correctly didn't NASCAR experiment a few years ago with firing orders and header crossovers and it made the engines, and hence the cars sound like Indy cars? It was a great sound, but really seemed out of place given what we were use to hearing.

29. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

In response to a letter in Car Craft this month, retired GM engineer Don Webb notes that the reason for changing the firing order for the LS series motors was "minimizing crankshaft torsionals".

30. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

ive heard some race tracks depending on class dont allow these cam/motors with the altered firing order because its not factory firing order