Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall pic/measurements 58-60 Dodge 1/2T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KenC, Feb 14, 2020.

1. KenC

KenC

I have been working on the engine and trans for my 56 dodge PU project. I'm close to having my 230/A833 OD setup ready to install. Next will be the change from floor mounted clutch/brake to hanging pedals from a 60 Dodge truck. I have the firewall reinforcement plate and pedals that were cut from the 60. I didn't do the cutting, nor did I see it before the cut. What I need are measurements to accurately locate the plate on the firewall. I think any 58 thru 60 dodge with a firewall mounted master cylinder should be the same. Here is a pic stolen from the web of the part I'll be installing.[​IMG]The vertical straps are not part of the project. They are for a power booster install. I have a firewall section cut out around that reinforcing plate with upturned edges I plan to separate the plate at the spot welds and attach it to my firewall with plug welds. I need to know the location of the master mounting holes on a 58-60 cab.

I can install the pedal brackets and roughly locate the holes from the pivot points, but it would be nice to have the factory locations to confirm my guesses.

Even a good pic of a 58-60 firewall big enough to show the master cyl and more of the surrounding area would help.

the reason for the hanging pedal swap is due to a clutch housing swap. It is from a 58-60 truck also, with a RH clutch throwout lever, hyd operated. That also required the matching crossmember as the mounts are different. And the housing was a special unit only available for a few years. In case the 230 doesn't make me happy with horsepower, the housing will also bolt to early hemis and A series v8s. An LA also with a mod or two.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

If the picture has the panel in the correct location, the bottom right corner shows the flange to bolt the inner fender in place. You could orient your bracket to line up with that inner fender well mounting. I'm sorry to say it, but I believe the inner fender wells attach differently between the 54-56 then the 58-60s do. I don't believe a picture of an entire 58-60 firewall would do you any good. I don't remember how Dodge did a 57, that truck would have been a change over year, it could have been like the 54-56, or like the 58-60, but I suspect it may have been like the earlier cab. I'm also not sure when Dodge went to the hanging pedals, a 57 might be what you want to see.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the master cylinder mounting location on the firewall mounted masters, had a bracing inside the cab that went between the steering column mounting point on the dash and the master mounting point on the firewall. That bracket was a stamped 16 gauge sheet metal bracket with flanges turned towards each other at the firewall that the bolts retaining the master passed through holes in the flanges. That bracket held the brake pedal pivot point and was in a straight line with the steering column mounting location on the dash. The stick trucks had another bracket that attached to the master cylinder bracket (I believe it bolted on), it also attached to the firewall using the left side of the slave master cylinder mounting holes, and also provided the clutch pedal pivot point. Those brackets may have been spot welded to both the firewall and the dash, but bolting a homemade bracket in place will work.

Your existing steering column dash mount probably already has a brace running to the firewall, the bracket that attaches to the master cylinder mount replaced the existing brace and attaches to the dash the same way the original brace did. Both the inner bracket and the reinforcing plate need to be present to take the added stress the brake and clutch pedal exert on the firewall.
    I've done several firewall master cylinder mounting conversions. Gene

3. 58 is the first year for hanging pedals

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. KenC

KenC

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I do have the inside the cab brace and pedal brackets If there is not too much difference in 56-60 it shouldn't be too bad once the bracing is in place.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. With out venturing through the deep snow here, I believe you could simply put the brace from the dash to the firewall from the 58 into your 56 and that would locate everything for you, I considered doing that on my 57 to get hanging pedals

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. KenC

KenC

Judging from the earlier reply and looking under the dash, I think you're correct. I wish that I had been the one to remove them from the donor. That would make it easy, but these were purchased and shipped to me, years ago.