Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fires Here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Nov 29, 2016.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you have to do. Be as safe as you can. And remember, a good run is always better than a bad stand.

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have seen many images and a few videos of the fires, Stay safe up there Bruce.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. Boy oh boy! Living in rural Southern Cal for most of my life, I know what you're going through. I've been through it many times and have had several friends lose their homes to wildfires over the years.

You guys be safe. Cars and homes can be replaced if need be. Take care of yourselves and your animals. My thoughts are with you.

Bruce Fischer and mad mikey like this.
  4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Check out this extremely dramatic 6 minute video of a guy driving down a narrow road in a wooded area through dense smoke and past dozens of houses on fire right next to the road. He actually had to drive through the flames several times. WOW!!!

5. holy sh.....!

Bruce Fischer and loudbang like this.
  6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^ Oh, my God.....that car was extremely lucky to get out....biggest fear is a tree in the road, or actually run off the road in the smoke....it's hard to think nobody on the local news warned them of the approaching flames!!! Man, oh man....gives me the chills!

7. williebill

williebill

Been watching this all day on the local Knoxville news. I hate to see that video about Chalet Village. Some very nice houses up on that mountain. Lived in Gatlinburg for 3 years in the 70s, and worked at the Ski Lodge one summer ( now Ober Gatlinburg ). That road was hell on my 65 Fairlane, over heated , and boiled every day going to work, and the brakes ALWAYS failed coming down the hill at night. I had to figure out my runaway route, and use it at the bottom every night after work. Didn't matter how I drove, or how slow, always lost my brakes coming down. Can't imagine driving through that Hell last night.

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

What a mess.Prayers to all.Keep safe folks.
    Leo

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce read on another sight of a rodder in the Smokies who evacuated earlier today. He said the fire was within a mile of his house and that 70 homes in his area have been lost. Stay safe.

Gary

10. I just saw the deaths mentioned on the Asheville news. Sad stuff.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wishing you safety, Bruce! Please be cautious.

Mike

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts are with you Bruce, your family and all others in harms way. May the brakes be soon put onto this disaster in the making...
    Regards,
    Stogy

13. i have been trying to get a hold of my buddy Charlie F. in ashville. he lives up in the hills. is the fire near him? does anybody know him? he has a speech problem and needs help to walk.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto! Man, at first I was thinking "why in the hell is this fool driving around, why didn't he get out a long time ago" then part way through he says there was nothing on the news, no warning! CRIPES!! Man, that's scary.

15. I'm 12 miles south of downtown Asheville.
    The fire in Gatlinburg is approximately 75 miles west / northwest of Asheville.
    Your friend should be safe.

16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I hear ya'....I showed my wife the video posted here, and she was like "Oh my ....they should have got out 24 hours ago''....I guess that would be the case if they were notified!!! Sad to see all those homes in flames....very sad....my heart really goes out to everyone in the area.!

Bruce Fischer and falcongeorge like this.
  17. We need to remember that this fire developed very fast ..... very fast.
    Add to that the fact that the area is extremely dry.
    It all took a life of its own, fast, like gas and a match !

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good luck and good fortune to you.

19. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I hear ya....we have fires out here where I live, but they tend to build "slow"...and "then" get big with time and the elements. Not like what's going on in your area...that thing just blew up all of a sudden seems like...it's all just very sad...hate to see homes go up like that.

Bruce Fischer and bobg1951chevy like this.
  20. GTS225

GTS225

Not to try to get any rumors started, but a couple years ago, I read an article suggesting that the fires in SoCal were actually started as terrorist strikes. While it might be a bit of a stretch, there's a certain logic to it. Aimed at harming a local economy, it would still strain a larger area.

Best wishes to those most directly affected, and stay safe.

Roger

21. Tonights Asheville news stated the Gatlinburg fire chief was not dismissing arson, but that's all vague, at this point.

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Bruce, and everybody else in the affected area, be safe... we're all praying for ya.
    For once, I'm praying FOR rain! Hard for a hot rodder to do... don't have much practice!;)

23. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

Hope everyone in the Sevier County area stays safe. Having spent much vacation time in Sevierville,Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg ,really is heartbreaking to see this damage.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

We saw all the fire crews out in California in August when we went to Pebble Beach, I never knew how large that group of fire fighters was. Do they have crews fighting this thing in Gatlinburg? Prayers going out to everyone down there. Bob

25. thank you! i finally heard from him but knowing he it was not near him made the wait for his call back, easier.

26. Lebowski, that video is startling and very sad. I spent my first 12 yrs. not very far from Pigeon Forge there in East Tennessee and have a profound fondness for those mountains and the people there. My heart breaks for all of the folks who have lost everything in this carnage. Thoughts and prayers out to all involved, particularly to those who have lost loved ones already.

27. That guy driving out of the fire WAS lucky. It takes just one flare up next to you for the fire to suck the air out of your intake system. Just ask any crew who had their engine over run by a fast moving wall of flame. Been there, done that.

28. hey guys remember that these fires were driven by 80mph+ gusts. On a normal day a fire can hit 30mph no problem. Add a wind tunnel and fire can come up on you before you know it.

bobg1951chevy and Bruce Fischer like this.
  29. Hey, Bruce, Has the overnight rain helped at all? I know the winds didn't help. Kevil Gill (ooltewahspeedshop) posted a satellite image of the storm/tornado around midnight...

Prayers for rain and successful firefighting, for those in harms way (both residents retreating and firefighters advancing)!

30. Lebowski, yes they keep showing that clip on the evening news here.Bruce.