Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fireball 8, how much is too much...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nieko-Von-Palamides, Jul 15, 2015.

1. It's 2 barrel. And that's the thing, it ran fine till I rebuilt the carb, then afterward it runs lean. My only guess is the jets tubes are full of junk I can't get out.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fellas...
    Take it easy on this young man, he's Romeo Palamides' grandson.
    We should adopt him.

Nieko-Von-Palamides likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right, Rich. The younger ones roll with 'no strings attached'!

4. looking

looking

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thought the 2gc/2gv carbs had a power valve. That might be stuck or wrong.

Do you have the 2gc/2gv series carbs, or is it a Carter or Stromberg? Without knowing what carb to look at specs, there is little anyone can do.

6. Stromberg aerotype aa-uvb267. I have the rest of the specs in the FSM at home.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

You really think that's possible for a street engine?

8. Anythings possible. Don't need easy, just possible. But my wife doesn't want me to modify it. Haha

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. So far that's the nicest thing I've read, thought I was never gonna be in the cool guy club.... Lol

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Looking at a vehicle from Mike's carbs, it seems there are two kits, one with 3 bolt flange gasket, the other with 4 bolt flange gasket. The other difference is the accelerator pump plunger diameter. One is 3/4", the other is smaller. Could you have put the smaller plunger in your carb by mistake? This would make the accelerator pump work incorrectly (poor pump action). I would verify that first.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I thought we already did?

12. The accelerator pump is the same diameter, and I bought the 4 bolt kit. Starting to think I might have more luck just getting an adapter and slapping a Holley 350cfm 2barrel I can tune down. Parts are alot more plentiful and I've messed with tons of them.

13. Had a straight 8 Buick once and tried to blow the motor up and could not do it. (What a Tank). Sorry, I was a crazy teenager.:p It is your car do what feels right and don't look back.:cool:

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

When you rebuilt the carb, did you compare the various gaskets with the old ones? My guess is that there are differences in the gaskets. Normally the gaskets and other items are compared to make sure no differences.

15. As already suggested, make sure the power valve or power piston are working properly. Make sure it has a good strong accelerator pump stream and that the pump inlet and outlet check valves are properly installed. Try reinstalling your original idle mixture screws. Check for vacuum leaks. Check for an excessively worn throttle shaft bore, though a little bit of slop should be OK.

If the carb has the original size jets they should be big enough to get a stock motor down the road alright. One thing you might experiment with would be try raising the float level an 1/16" or 1/8". That should richen it up just a tad.

16. All gaskets match. Acc. Pump shoots as it should, I'll raise my floats, and see what happens

17. Diavolo

Diavolo

Other than nostalgia, I would V8 it. A straight 8 with no goodies and looking at actual use of the vehicle, I would get what I can use. I didn't read the thread but that's my vote.

18. The 63yr old car has proven to be a worthy adversary. Adjust floats up, same. Floats down, same. Adjust valves again, same. Bump timing, same. Retard timing, same. Two different needles and seats, same. Two pairs of idle air screws, same. THE SAME POPPING OUT THE CARB. Only thing I can think of is worn throttle shaft. Damnit. I had this problem on a 58 ford, 2barrel Holley with a worn shaft pulled enough air to jank the mixture. Damnit. Damn. My temper gets to me and I have to back off before I push it in a hole and light it on fire. Ha-ha....

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  19. Jenz38

Jenz38

my 263 ...:D
    (sorry for the turned movie)

LONG and telekenfun like this.
  20. Jenz38

Jenz38

my hop uped 263 :D
    (sorry for turned movie)

LONG likes this.
  21. Jenz38

Jenz38

22. timelord

timelord

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Rebuild and set all adjustments to factory spec? From Buick, Carter or Stromberg manual?

24. I have the 52 buick factory service manual which I've used for all my baseline adjustments. No vacuum leaks anywhere, none on the intake manifold, none on the vacuum line to the advance at distributor, and now the throttle shaft has been sealed up and my miniscule vaccum leak there is gone. The problem still precists. The old man next door is CONVINCED its a sticking valve. I don't think so. But I'm obviously missing something. Timings right, plugs are gapped right, 145≈psi on all 8. Valves adjusted to spec. I don't know. I'll pull the main jets after I order my tool. The gasoline coming from the boosters is this little dribble when I rev it up, not a nice mist like its supposed to me.

25. A nice lq9 and msd atomic with a 4l80e sound lovely.

26. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recall a Buick straight 8 I had in for a tune up...Checked comp., replaced plugs, points. cond. Rotor, cleaned cap. Adjusted valves, replaced rocker cover gasket. Miss...Darn!
    Finally, after running at 2,200 RPM and removing plug wires 1 by 1, locating miss: Removed the rocker arm cover and Voila! #5 exhaust spring was broken on the 1st coil. Unnoticeable, until you had reason to LOOK. ( ponder, inspect, examine) There was my miss. Air pressure applied to #5 cyl. with piston at TDC, flywheel locked, I removed the spring and slipped another in...adjusted the valve and replaced the cover.
    Ran smooth as silk. (1960, at Mayfield's Garage)

28. All my valvesprings look good, I check them out when I was under the valve cover (like ten times.) And I'll have to make a video for you guys.

29. Ordered a Stromberg jet wrench.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might make an adapter from an old spark plug and blow some air in the cylinders while the valves are closed. If air comes out the carb, you know that intake valve is leaking. If it's out the exhaust, there's your leak. Out of the pan, rings are worn and so forth.