Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fire!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks racerx!!
    I've been looking for a system just like this. How much was the total install?

2. catdad49

catdad49

As several have already said, you are a fortunate man, but you had the foresight to share this. Hopefully, it will spare someone a similar experience. Thanks for taking the time and paying it forward.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The exotic lumber supplier across the street from my second shop location did that very thing too. They had just finished applying linseed oil to a very expensive "demo deck" on the front of the office building. Took down the corner of that deck, and the siding off of the front of the office building.

The fire department came and went before the owner showed up. I was working late, so I welded up the cuts in the gate with portable rig, and left a note. Otherwise, the place would have been looted.

4. Probably could have hired that guy in the video as night watchman. Looks like he'd sleep there for a properly stocked beer 'fridge. If not, ply him with Clase Azul Reposado. :)

Glad our toy box didn't burn down. That would be devastating to a whole bunch of dreamers, and let alone you, and yours. Sh#t man, you're a damn purveyor of lady luck times infinity. Yayyyy' right ?

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is a good informative thread, I had no idea that linseed oil had those types of properties. The thread from years ago about a welding arc turning Brakleen into phosgene gas has stuck with me, this will be another to put in the mental bank.

6. Very, very frightening. Glad it wasn't worse.

7. deuceman32

deuceman32

In 25 years of city (Toronto) firefighting, your video is as effective as anything that I have seen from our training folks. Well done.

Linseed oil rags have always been at the very top of the list for self ignition. Here is the Wikipedia
    version : Rags soaked with linseed oil stored in a pile are considered a fire hazard because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil, and the oil oxidises quickly. The oxidation of linseed oil is an exothermic reaction, which accelerates as the temperature of the rags increases. When heat accumulation exceeds the rate of heat dissipation into the environment, the temperature increases and may eventually become hot enough to make the rags spontaneously combust.

I'm really glad that you did not have the usual result. There are many videos under the topic of "flashover" that start out in a similar way.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While you are at it, add:

Burning ABS plastic produces Hydrogen Cyanide. This is no joke. This resultant chemical has the old trade name of Zyklon B, which was used in the Nazi gas chambers. 10 minutes' exposure in an atmosphere of ~300 milligrams per cubic meter of air will kill you. 2200 milligrams per cubic meter will kill you in ONE minute.

Burning PVC produces dioxins, chlorine gas. Also will kill you.

Both of these plastics are commonly found in homes and shops.

9. BradinNC

BradinNC

Great video, Ryan. Maybe you could sell it to a fire protection company!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  10. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Glad it was what it was and not a lot worse. I've had my share of fire instances!!

Is there anything else we should be concerned with? Any other flammables that can self ignite? What are some good rules of thumb to follow? Any more info is appreciated.

What do you guys use linseed oil in a shop for anyway?

11. Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

No need to be embarrassed Ryan, I am a retired firefighter with 25 years of service and it happened to me. I was putting a linseed oil finish on a butcher block table and when I finished the job, I walked away to clean up and several minutes later I looked over and the rag was just starting to smoke. Now whenever I use something like linseed oil I soak the rag in water before I dispose of it.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. its been a few years since I purchased my system. I would give them a call or check the web site. I think it was around 300-400 dollars. that includes everything to get going. I ordered a outside siren so I can hear it in the house. I also have a fire detector. the system uses cellular technology so if the power is cut or interrupted due to a storm it still works due to the battery backup. the system can be set up to instantly call 911 or it can call you first. there is a password you need to give the operator to stop the authorities from coming out. there can also be a second pass word in case someone is holding you up. giving this password send help instantly. the system is not hard wired so if you move it can be taken with you.

loudbang, Roadsir and Petejoe like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup saw it first hand, buddy's wife did some minor wood finish with linseed oil. Placed the rags under her sink to dispose of when hubby would take the trash out. Almost caught fire after 4 hrs or so, lucky they stayed up late that night

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yer a lucky boy. Linseed oil extremely combustible. Sometimes taken for granted EVERYONE is aware of the danger.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm buying a fire locker for all of my combustibles, as soon as I get a little extra $$$. The rag bins are worth their weight in gold.

John Starr likes this.
  17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Glad it wasn't what it could have been. Most of us get laxed to the chemicals we use regularly in this hobby. A reality slap upside the head is a good thing. Thanks man.

18. deuceman32

deuceman32

NashRod, what you want to avoid is rags or towels saturated with flammable liquids being scrunched up and discarded in contact with other combustibles. The liquid itself in a closed container is not a problem.

Something about the chemistry of linseed oil makes it the worst offender, by far, in that situation. But I would avoid similar instances with gasoline, varsol, brake/carb solvents, really, any flammable liquid.

Other rules of thumb? Well, I've seen more shop fires from sparks and gasoline in/draining into open pans than anything else. Next would be electrical fire in the vehicle in the shop. Next would be electrical fire in the shop itself. And some, you just can't tell.

Most importantly, in your houses, DETECTORS, people. PLEASE. I have seldom had to crawl into a place to find somebody where there were current and functioning smoke alarms. (NEVER for anyone who was healthy and sober). I have, however, witnessed a number of mourners who wished that somebody had spent the fifty bucks. I can't say that any other way.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Having been in the paint sundries business for many years I have seen and heard of this on many occasions and 99% 0f the time it's avoidable!

A good friend of mine lost his antique furniture business because he had thrown the stain and linseed oil rags in a unsealed 55 gallon drum,and to add insult to injury he also lost his original 1947 Harley-Davidson & a '56 Porsche Speedster.

When he called me he said,you are going to tell me I told you so,so please don't say it,I know you told me many times and it went in one ear and out the other,but I had a total loss fire and you already know where it started.

The sad part of this story is I gave him the 55 gallon steel drum and a metal lid with a lever drum ring to safely store used rags. HRP

20. As my Dad would have said, "son, you had a horse shoe in your ass that night". Glad it wasn't any worse Ryan.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. My wife always hounds me "Don't let greasy rags mount up...they'll catch fire!" Well, I know it's linseed oil on rags that will self com bust so I just will not allow any linseed oil on my propitty . If my rags ever caught fire, I'd never hear the end of it from her or the insurance guy who is a personal friend....
    No linseed oil here!
    Glad your fire wasn't worse...
    Please tell me the Cadillac sign is ok.

22. That was a close call be safe out their..

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well you can save your money on the Powerball ticket.....you just used up your luck there.
    Glad it was not as bad as could have been.

24. OK........back to the garage to have a look at everything that could/would self combust.

Just Gary likes this.
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had the local franchise for those safety cans today!:D

26. longhorizon

longhorizon

Thanks Ryan. Like most people here, I've 'heard of this before'. I just never heard of it happening to anyone I actually know. I've been careful but clearly not careful enough. Nothing like learning by example. Doubly important for me - my 'shop' is under my house (aka basement). Time to order a few of those 'Justrite' bins...

27. Read the story @ garagejournay the other night and went right out to the garage and took my trash can out to the yard. I had been working with lacquer thinner and wood stain an hour or so earlier and the can was full of shop towels with that stuff. Thanks man, I slept better that night.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. stimpy

stimpy

another bad thing in the shop is dry chlorine powder ( calcium Hyoclorite , HTH , pool shock in a bag ) used for pools , moisture in the air can cause it to combust . a company I worked for had a warehouse of the stuff go up from a bottle of spilled pop in a open container , the warehouse burned for 3 days as they couldn't put it out ( oxidizer) . when I worked in the store side we told customers to store it in a outside shed or put it in a metal trashcan outside . and make sure you keep it sealed !!! several garages around me have gone up from the stuff over the years . this also applies to some water treatment chemicals used like potassium permag. it can go up when wet also . if it has a oxidizer tag on it [​IMG] read the SDS (MSDS) before letting it in the garage or house ,
    before I worked with chemicals I was lazy , but in the 25 years since I started , I read labels and clean out dirty rags nightly if they burn , the fence will be torched not the Garage .

your very lucky Ryan , I would suggest rigging a transmitter to a alarm that will wake the house ( simple relay drop system with manual reset off phone) . because if you slept thru it, if it was your house and a little Co or Co2 inhalation and you would sleep right thru it .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow.....My shop is 4 miles from home with no security cameras, or alarms. I am always careful really careful when I do hot work, or when I work with chemicals and solvents on rags. I put them outside to dry. I also go through a checklist when I leave.... Compressor off, welding gas off, rags.

Thanks for sharing...you can't be too safe. I'm headed down to my shop to do a walk around.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just glad that no more damage was done and that everyone on here takes time to read it and stop and think about what is in their shop or garage that might cause a similar fire.