Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finned drum interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey guys!!! So I have a 62 chevy rear end with the stock rear brakes. I have done some homework and found that the rear drums, 11 X 2, are pretty much used for ALOT of different years and applications. Some used on the front of 49-54 chevys, rears on different chevys into the early 70s. But what I would like to find are finned drums for this, as it will be seen. Not aluminum (but that would be cool) but cast iron would be fine, just want the finned look. Anyone know of an application I might check out??? My OT chevelle has them but they are 9" di. Thanks fore any help!!!

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Didn't Chev pickups and Caprice station wagons have finned drums?

3. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

What year Caprice wagon???? Wouldn't pickups have a larger bolt pattern??

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You are right about the bolt pattern, I forgot. I was trying to remember what Chevs I had seen in junk yards with finned drums and those came to mind.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

6. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I believe the 60's GTOs has finned drums and were the same bolt pattern as the Chev (4.75 )
    I have seen them on a Chevelle, not sure if the brakes were larger.

7. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Some of the 76 montes had the bigger drums with the fins, some of the 76 pontiac grand prix also.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The lug bolt pattern diameter is an easy fix if the drum otherwise has correct dimensions for your intended application. It's a pretty simple operation to drill or punch a new set of lug bolt holes in the spacing needed.

Ray

10. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

O'Reilly Auto Parts and other major chains have an excellent on line part search system.
    Go there and enter the vehicle make and model....follow the prompts for type of part wanted, etc., and the illustrations will show key dimensions that matter in a search.
    If I recall correctly, you can just do a search of the type of part, without the make/model specifics. That allows a search of all the stuff they have catalogued.

Ray

12. I have a set of finned aluminum drums that I think are 11 inch that can on the back of a mid 80's full size Oldsmobile station wagon. I'll measure them and take picks in the morning. I had them for years and never used them.