Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finned Brake Drum identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadWarrior13, Jun 27, 2010.

1. RoadWarrior13

RoadWarrior13
    from Louisiana

I just got these the other day ... can anyone identify these and assist me in buying the correct hardware to make this work.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Looks like a motor and trans?

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. Good thing he didnt accidently go into the folder on his comp with "those" pics in it :eek:

5. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

90 fin Buick drum.
    New hubs available to run them on Ford spindles.
    Use with 1939-48 Ford backing plates or new Linc.style.

Can also machine old Ford hubs to work..search tech arcives

6. tgd61

tgd61

What's the best way to get the stock Buick hubs out of these. I have the same style. Earlier drums had rivets these don't.

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Studs may be swedged, need to releve with a deep 3/4 holesaw. Or may just be stuck on as in that time frame a lot of cars were going to front drums that just slid over the studs like the rears.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Use a hydraulic press. You will need to build a holder for the back side of the drum or hub... the back has to be supported while you press the studs out, or you'll deflect the drum face and it can permanently bend or crack.

Ask me how I know!

-Brad

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several different companys make hubs for these drums or you can use the 46/48 Ford front hubs and modify them to fit. I've done a lot of Buick drum conversions over the years and have settled on the hubs from Walden Speed Shop, pricey but they come complete and they work the best of all I've tried. I do most of them with Lincoln 2 inch backing plates from MT products.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I just ground off the rivet heads and used a deep well socket underneath and press the rivets and studs into the socket. There is no chance of bending the drum with a socket or short piece pipe used as a support underneath.

11. tgd61

tgd61

Thanks guys appeciate it. That was my concern didn't want to damage the drums.....

12. budd

budd

you can run the buick hubs with bearing spacers and re-drilling a different bolt pattern.

13. Aluminum Drum Man

Aluminum Drum Man
    from Illinois

I did the same thing on my 1930 Chev. pickup with a early Ford front axle, ground down the rivets and pop them out, redrilled the new bolt patter and Ford backing plates with 12" shoes work great.
    Oh, did I say that I reline aluminum brake drum so that they are just like new??
    thanks & good luck