Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finnaly a build thread 66 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, May 15, 2011.

1. shocker998md

shocker998md

Well now that Ive done a decent amount of work to my truck I can start a build thread. I bought the truck from a guys dad thats on here. I saw the truck in the classifieds on my last deployment. Then when I got back from my deployment I saw that ad come back up and I jumped on it.

Here it is the night that I bought it.

[​IMG]

Shortly after I bought the truck I drove it home to MD, and while I was there I drove up to NJ to pick up some parts, and then back down to MD. And then it snowed, so heres a snow pic.

[​IMG]

So after that I drove it back down to NC where it snowed again. In this picture I ditched the wagon wheels, put some 15x6 steel wheels on and rattle canned them black. Then I picked up some lug nuts and center caps from the lug nut king guy on ebay and I think that made a big difference. The centers are not on in this picture though.

[​IMG]

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

So the first order of buisness was work on the inside of the truck. I figure thats where you spend all of your time, so ill start with that.

[​IMG]

There was some rust in it, but it wasnt bad. This was my first time doing anything like this, so I learned alot. I started on the passanger side because it had less rust.

[​IMG]

After I cut it out
    [​IMG]

3. shocker998md

shocker998md

Heres the bad on the drivers side.

[​IMG]

I need to upload more pictures to photobucket tonight and ill post more up.

I also found out that it is much easier to cut out a large section then try to just cut a little bit out like how I did on the passanger side. But this was my first time so now I know.

4. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

Shocker where I am that would be a " rust free truck" :D. I have to replace pretty much everything between the firewall and the back bumper on my uni underneath and some up on the sides as well.

Rick

5. shocker998md

shocker998md

yea thats one of the reasons I bought the truck is because it was solid. The stuff that needed to be repaired I could handle and not get in over my head. We all gotta start somewhere.

Photobucket is uploading some more pics now, so ill have some more up soon.

6. shocker998md

shocker998md

So heres the passangers side tacked in, its not the best but hey it worked!
    [​IMG]

heres it sealed up with some stuff that expried from work. So all I have into the floor pans are wire, gas, and my time. The sealant and sheet metal where freebies!
    [​IMG]

heres the drivers side
    [​IMG]

Its ugly, but now im not using the factory ac any more.
    [​IMG]

7. shocker998md

shocker998md

So then I sanded the dash down.
    [​IMG]

Then I painted the dash gloss white, the inside of the cab gloss black and then laid down the FatMat.
    [​IMG]

So It went from this, when I was wiring up a power outlet for the gps so we could get up to NJ. Wool blanket for a seat cover and ugly 80s pontiac column...
    [​IMG]

To this, black carpet, re done seat, and painted on the inside.
    [​IMG]

8. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Lookin good bro!! Will pass it on to the ol man....~E

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

Another inside picture
    [​IMG]

So heres what It looked like when I got it besides the headers. I just put them on and that was the day I drove it to the exaust shop thats 20 min away. It was loud. The specs on the motor then was stock 352 with a cast four barrel intake. Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, and just put in the headers.
    [​IMG]

another shot
    [​IMG]

10. shocker998md

shocker998md

I had 2 1/4 ran from the headers back, into 12 inch cherry bombs and then into 2.5 rolled tips.
    [​IMG]

heres another picture of the seat, its alot more comfy
    [​IMG]

So then I drove it down to Billetproof FL and along the way I hit up a guys shop in GA and we cut 1.5 coils out of the front and bent the beams so that it was back in alignment. After that it drove GREAT. The only hickup I had down to FL was a charging issue, which after I got a jump never came back. And then I did valve cover gaskets in a hotel parking lot since now my oil leak was leaking on the header and burning off. Heres some pictures of the stance.
    [​IMG]

It has a slight rake to it now, and it drives great. It has also settled down a little bit now too.
    [​IMG]

11. shocker998md

shocker998md

When I got back from FL it was time to re gasket the engine, new timing chain, new cam and lifters, edelbrock performer 390 intake, and a re maned distributor from napa with a petronix. heres some tear down pics.
    [​IMG]

Got slop?
    [​IMG]

Its comming along!
    [​IMG]

Holleys giving me a hand too.
    [​IMG]

Lubing up the cam, its an isky 262 super cam.
    [​IMG]

And then this is where it went wrong, the dowel pin didnt fit on the cam gear just right so I tapped it on, and if you have never done this before, DONT.This is what will happen, I popped the cam plug out of the block, and I didnt realize it untill everything was back together and I went to break the cam in. It made a BIG mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. shocker998md

shocker998md

So the motor came out.
    [​IMG]

I put a new cam plug in, and I put it in the correct way. It was originaly in wrong.

I got it back in and all together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. shocker998md

shocker998md

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  14. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

nice progress, I have a buddy that is building one.

15. shocker998md

shocker998md

My next plans will be cleaning the engine bay up some more. Getting rid of the purple wire loom and cleaning the wires up some more.

Then ill be putting a pressure regulator in for the fuel and rebuilding the carb. Then Ill tune it back up again, check the timing and tune with a vac guage.

So far ive driven this truck from SC to NC, then NC to NJ, and then NC to FL. One break down and anywhere from 12-15 MPG.

16. Willy301

Willy301

Bummer on the set back, but looks like it is coming along nicely!

17. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

please remove the purple flex stuff from the harness.

Other than that, it is a cool ride.

I assume it still has the 3 speed manual?

18. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

19. shocker998md

shocker998md

No it has a c-6 in it. I pulled the three pedals out and put in an auto brake pedal since its a bit bigger.

Im definatly pulling the purple stuff, I just havent gotten around to it yet.

20. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Looks like it's coming along nice.:cool: Just to let you know the video isn't working.

21. shocker998md

shocker998md

Does the link work now? How can you just have it posted so that you dont have to click into the link?

22. shocker998md

shocker998md

For some reason it only works with the link. If anyone can re post it for me off the link that would be great.

23. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

that thing is lookin good, i'm a sucker for a 60-anything f-100. glad to see you got that motor sorted out, keep the pics coming.

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you got a pretty good start on a nice project. Please keep us posted.
    Years ago a buddy had a '66 kinda like yours, had the 352 also but still had the three speed. A previous owner had made it a flatbed. We put in a healthy cam, intake and Holley on it. Had a nice lumpy idle and pulled like a mofo. Surprised quite a few Camaros and Mustangs with that old truck. I'm grinning just remembering the shock on those guys faces as we blew them off the road! :D

25. Awesome thread. Keep it up , love theose 60's f100's

26. shocker998md

shocker998md

well........my engine is leaking like a mofo. I go through a quart of oil in 80 miles and my oil pressure starts dropping. After I replaced all the gaskets except for the rear main seal it seems that im loosing more oil now that ive replaced the gaskets then before.

So the engine is comming out, the cork gaskets for the intake manifold are getting ditched and ill be using right stuff. Im going to replace the rear main seal, and im kicking myself in the ass for not doing it, but we all learn from our mistakes.

While the engine is out Ill be replacing the valve springs now that the cam is broke in and will replace the valve stem seals as well. Hopefully I can get rid of these oil leaks so I can do some fun stuff.

27. usa5913

usa5913

Good build info. Keep us informed.

28. dotcentral

dotcentral

Nice truck. I like the stance. 1.5 coils did that to the front? I may have to get the name of your guy in GA once mine is back on the road.

29. shocker998md

shocker998md

So I found my oil useage problem. Those holley valve covers didn't have baffles. I went through 1 quart of oil every 80 miles. Made some baffles on my lunch break, and the truck is back on the road.

the shop was G&S auto muffler in mariatta Ga. You could prolly go with a full two and still get it lined back up. The truck drives sooo much better with the coils cut and a good alignment.

30. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Looking great!