Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

new guy arrived today.nearly 9 weeks old .cocky little guy but very confident.will post some pics once he settles in.mad about the little guy.called him WHISKEY.theres a new sherriff in town

2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

he s going undercover his new name is BOUNCER. watching him bouncing around the back garden it had to be .full of life! .no fear!

Nicholas Coe, Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

some progress.my friend micko assembled this one for me .exhaust clamp is either a 350 or 500 triumph item.had 1 of each a few years back. bushed to suit the original column with a BOSCH retro tach in a alloy cup.will be painted satin black when i get the time.the catch is ill have to pull the column to fit it.tacho will be fitted in the 3 o clock position as in the pic and below the dash.brackets that came with it didnt work out with the small diameter column . upload_2021-9-22_0-35-0.jpeg .

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

trial run in the bed .growing fast bouncer in the bed 002.JPG bouncer in the bed 003.JPG

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

gave the bracket a shot of satin black,another 1 tomorrow might tidy up the back of gauge .i steeped the clamp in marine clean for about a week and washed it.micko blasted it.i flap wheeled the edges of the fins .then filed all the sharp edges away.etch primed it followed by a few coats of satin black.mild weather here and the paint flowed well.looking good if i say so myself. tacho in black 002.JPG tacho in black 001.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  6. Leakie

Leakie

Are you feeding Bouncer fertilizer? He certainly is growing fast!

Nicholas Coe and nunattax like this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just good grub leakie,and plenty of tlc .my 6th german shepherd getting the hang of
    rearing them .

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Nicholas Coe and Leakie like this.
  8. nunattax likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hot rod dog growing rapidly.tiles are 1ft square.neighbour arrived on with BUCAS brand dog pillow(blue)and hes making the best of it.its a hard life in my house
    upload_2021-10-6_22-2-30.jpeg

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

decided today i would wait no longer,its time to plumb up the pcv.had new aluminum body one painted the colour of course ,new grommet,recent k+n breather recent new baffled grommet.1m /9mm vacuum hose.new lowline manifold fitting.here we go.i was dreading removing the square head npt blank under the float bowl.put a 12 sided socket on it and out it came with no drama.was expecting problems here..only small issue was the low level manifold was fouling the rear float bowl.after inspection decided i could clearance the bottom of the float bowl.both bowls were the same casting with a provision for another accelerator pump cast and machined into each..i removed some of the metal and have 1mm clearance.ill add a new gasket under carb just in case ,everything is dry runned seperately.hope ill finish up tomorrow and install the second return spring on the carb ive had for some time.im replacing the vacuum hose to the servo at the same time.i have a through firewall fitting on the firewall.unfortunately ill need some more vacuum hose to connect from the firewall to servo.fucks sake should have got on and done this ages ago .job for another day to be done soon( pics tomorrow )

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Leakie, TFoch and Nicholas Coe like this.
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

no pictures to show because theres nothing to see.black everything the way it should be imo.the 2 piece vacuum fitting worked very well .i could snug the body down in the desired direction and then screw in the 3/8 adapter.fitted the second trottle return spring while i was refitting everything.went for a 3 mile spin no oil fumes from the breather and no oil running down on the exhaust manifold and burning off.better late than never.fitting is jegs 15985 or edelbrock 8096 [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    TFoch and Nicholas Coe like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

decided its time to fit the 11" rotors,upgrade from the 10"existing rotors.ive had them for weeks and the brackets to hold the calipers.pulled out the new brackets for a lookover.looking good they are 3/8"thick thicker and more rigid therefore than what im replacing( 5/16")plate.ive seen other brackets advertised that are 1/4".happy with my purchase.used a half round file and smoothened all the sharp edges light sanding and painted with black paint (what else ).
    didnt want to strip it all out until i was sure i had everything to complete the job.well i dont the older rotor has metric studs and the new ones are 7/16 unf.so will hold off until i get another set of wheel studs.theres a set of 20 chrome nuts on ebay but seller wont post til monday.other sets out there but ill hold on for this set.think ill paint the centre of the rotors tomorrow.brake pads are good so itll be all systems go next week.hopefully ill find an accomplice for some brake bleeding then as well.
    ive the rev counter to fit as well in the meantime.i want to improve on the cup a little before i install it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

mick and i worked on a disc to finish off the tacho cup.the disc started out 5mm thick with the edges reduced for a nice fit in the cup..extended the threaded studs at the back of the tacho.will use locknuts to keep it together.4 wires needed for the gauge 1 is an earth.probably earth it inside the cup leaving 3 small wires to sleeve and route down under the dash out of sight.sprayed black it should blend in under the dash,well thats the plan anyway.
    id had some adapters laser cut to bush the wheel centres down to fit the hubs properly.the need to be machined as well.plan is for a nice press fit with a few spot welds to locate as well.overkill will be just fine when it comes to safety.will need the wheels next night to finish the job.thanks again mick.

upload_2021-10-27_0-17-55.jpeg

TFoch, Leakie, j hansen and 1 other person like this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the front rims are rallye rims by vintique.i wasnt impressed when they arrived with large centres .jegs didnt want to know anything about it.and said there were no safety concerns i dont believe that to be the case.hence the adapters

TFoch likes this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

upload_2021-10-28_16-55-13.jpeg wheel adapter pre machining

Nicholas Coe and TFoch like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

upload_2021-10-28_17-1-53.jpeg almost there except cup got scratched in transit need another can of paint

Nicholas Coe, TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

upload_2021-10-28_17-6-28.jpeg extended the threads with a hex piece imperial.locktited in place then m4 threads screwed in and loctited in situ.

TFoch, tb33anda3rd and j hansen like this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

upload_2021-11-9_23-41-58.jpeg
    tonight mick o machined the adapters for me .did an excellent job,thanx mick.drilled and tapped the wheel for m4 allen bolts.after paint tomorrow will locktight the bolts and bed the adapter in 2 -pac adhesive.delighted to have this job done.its been a concern for a long time now.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ideally ill get the new rotors fitted soon with the rims.the finishing continues plenty small things left to do

Leakie, Nicholas Coe and TFoch like this.
  20. pila38

pila38

Damn, Chris, the truck looks great man. You really knocked it out of the park, man. You should be proud. Still waiting for you to get over here and help me with mine!

TFoch and Nicholas Coe like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanks eric ill be there as soon as i can

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

upload_2021-12-5_15-31-21.jpeg used m4 high tensile allen heads to locate the adapter,loctited them in with medium strength loctite should be there for good.

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

today i washed that rim and ordered a set of hawk performance brake pads for the front from ebay.ive heard much hype about these pads.promise increased stopping power ,low dust and less brake fade..removed a set of pads to be sure i was ordering the correct pads,it was #hb119f.594 to suit metric GM calipers. the pads i removed and the rotor still arent 100% bedded in so there was a little more to come from the old parts.looking forward to the improved set up.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sprayed up the new rotor centres ,anywhere liklely to rust with vht paint poor weather for spraying cold and damp.sped the drying up with the hairdryer

TFoch likes this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

front rorors in vht 001.JPG front rorors in vht 002.JPG
    tried to shoot the paint into the vents as well.not show paint it doesnt need to be

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

when i inspected the pads i noticed they were riding a little high with some of the pad area above the edge of the rotor.a small adjustment should drop the pads down a little for maximum pad to rotor contact

Nicholas Coe and Leakie like this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

after removing the first 10" rotor i payed more attention to where the pads grip the rotor.on the inside the pads are well away from the centre edge of the rotor so dropping the pad maybe 2mm wont be a problem.my mission will be to get all the pad in contact with the rotor as near to the outside edge as possible without running off the rotor,maximizing stopping power.thats the theory

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  28. Sounds like good progress! Happy Holidays!

nunattax likes this.
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the 5 sided wheel adapters were difficult to hold in the 3 jaw chuck.mick went gingerly and did a fine job as per usual.

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

pulled the wheel bearings and seals.went to the local supplier.bearing supplied were sub spurious.for the time being i will wash out and repack.they have timkin equivelent.#k68149 ,k68110 ,k12749 ,#k12711.that may be a mistake and may be #k12710.source a pair of new seals ref SC 048 65 12 .
    edit seals were incorrect.returned today and the guy exchanged the seals.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022