Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Finished trunks. How'd you do yours? Let's see the result!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Mar 3, 2015.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Man, I like how the finished trunks in some of my favorite customs look. Just wondering how they're made, what they're made of, and mostly how do they attach to the body? I sure wouldn't mind seeing what you guys have built too! Lots of skills and knowledge here.
    Here's an example from another thread in case you aren't sure what I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

2. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Good topic. Subscribed to see what comes up.
    Any past links to attach to thread?
    I think materials, attachment,
    pics under construction & finished are beneficial?

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I finished the trunk of my Model A coupe with a dropped floor

Attached Files:

Bam.inc likes this.
  4. Tools in the trunk like a display is ,,, a,,,,well,,,, kinda silly no?

5. I like how her trunks attach to her body....:D
    Whoops, you meant the car. :oops:
    I got confused, down here we call it a boot.;)
    The tools on display are cool in a custom, but maybe not in a badass hot rod.
    Good idea for a thread, I've seen some cool trunks, usually the upholstery would match the car interior.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

DSCN0070.JPG DSCN0071.JPG DSCN0074.JPG DSCN0070.JPG DSCN0071.JPG DSCN0074.JPG Lets see if I can get this to work

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. aaggie

aaggie

Trunks are easy compared to the interior of the ride. Most trunks can be finished with flat panels cut from Masonite and covered with glued on Vinyl. Velcro strips on the back of the panel and the other half of the Velcro glued to the sheet metal. Same with the floor, carpet glued to a sheet of Masonite cut out to cover the trunk floor.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

46steel any more shots of that? Do you have your spare behind that panel? I've been planing out how we are going to ours in the next few months

9. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425482119.320183.jpg 47 Ford-Simple panels that are held in place with Velcro

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Velcro seems like a great idea, a lot easier than drilling hole's and setting up plastic barbs to hold it all together!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool thanks man

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Cool ideas. I'm surprised more custom guys haven't chimed in with ideas and oictures

13. My 29 Roadster done in new paint 009.jpg

LOU WELLS and Asphalt Angel like this.
  14. flypa38

flypa38

Agree it's sort of hokey but that's what was done back then and that's what I'd like to eventually re create.
    Just a note on the velcro. Great idea but making it stick is a problem when used alone. Velcro is used extensively on aircraft interiors and we use 3m 1300L gasket cement on everything velcro to make it stay. A real thin coat on the velcro and what you're sticking it to then stick it on when the cement is almost dry.
    As far as the display tools, any idea what the straps are made of to keep the tools in place?

15. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my .02 as a retired firefighter, move your extinguisher to your passenger compartment. mine is attached crosswise in front of my seat. EASY ACCESSABILITY IS MOST IMPORTANT, SECONDS COUNT

16. Up here we call it booty...oh, you were talking about the car.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. A trunk with tools on display - hummm

I suppose the tools are polished
    (aka not used)
    I suppose this is a trailer queen
    (Aka not used)
    I suppose the tools aren't needed
    (Aka not used)
    I suppose actually grabbing a tool off the display with grubby fingers would not ever be done for fear of getting the backing dirty.
    (Aka not used)
    So the attachment could be semi permanent since they won't be coming off for use, falling off getting loaded on the trailer, or going down the road.

It's a cod piece for the trunk.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. The trunk is one place on a car most people don't, pay any attention too. However, my driver carries coolers, tents and chairs. More to be done to it soon. Have some progress photos, however, they need to be resized first. trunk.jpg

19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

53 150 more door , vynil covered abs formed panels easily removed with a single phillips screw. Battery now lives in tire well. Also have easily accessible insulated 12v power & ground provisions n a pwr antenna. Flux. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  20. Guess all the show cars that were scored on the amount of modifications helped the trend start. A clean trunk is great, but "prop'' tools and oil cans just look like poser stuff. Gotta be careful not to step into street rodder territory!

21. I have been working on finishing the trunk in my 64 BelAir . Still more to do but the winter has chased me out of the garage. Here is what I have finished so far. The black cord is the battery tender feed for the winter.

101_3193.jpg

22. T
    That's one of two, the other one is attached to the back of the seat, not the quickest place either but I'm at a real shortage for space inside, I do appreciate the advice and maybe I can relocate it like you said cross ways just behind the shifter.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here's mine in my 40

24. Nothing special just to clean it up a bit misc 056 (Medium).jpg