Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finished our 39 Standard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Dec 11, 2016.

1. metalman

metalman

Gonzo- thank you. Some people think I leave my builds too high, I hate the look myself when they are too low. Plus it can make them a pita to drive, I like them lowered some but I want to get up driveways.
    31 Vicky, yeah, best way I know to describe the front fenders/ headlight area! Draws your eyes just like....you know.

A little side note. We shot these photos the other night at a local night club. Closed up the week end before after 55 years on Central Ave (Route 66). They lit up the sign for us, said it would probably be the last time the sign would be lit up. Been there as long as I can remember, had some good times there in my younger days. Admittedly, it had seen better days. City bought the property and going to raze it and build a library. Another 66 icon gone. DSC_0241.JPG

kidcampbell71, lbcd and Stogy like this.
  2. b-bob

b-bob

Nothing wrong with this, steering is a bit fuzzy but otherwise i'd leave it alone.

3. metalman

metalman

Update: We hated the upholstery in the car. Beside the quality wasn't good (looks ok in the photos but lot's of issues up close) the biggest problem is the upholster used the wrong color material. I had picked out a nice creamy white, he used bright white! We took it out and changed it. The pleated areas are in the cream I originally picked out. My new upholstery guy suggested 3 toning it so the rest is a tan (looks grey in the pic, I know ???) with gold piping to match the headliner/ carpet. I'm really happy with it and quality exceeded my expectations which doesn't happen often these days. I kinda like the ribs the guy put in the panels, almost looks like bead rolling. Oh, ignore the battery box behind the spare, it was off, look close you'll see the battery mounted beside the spare. DSC_0247.JPG DSC_0246.JPG DSC_0250.JPG Oh, the white upholstery did not go in the trash. We have another 39 that's an old 50's build with patina. The seats in it were mouse chewed and the door panels water stained so we're putting the white stuff in it. Might not be good quality but it's still an upgrade to the car and style/ color wise it actually fits the theme. Matter of fact these seats are out of that car, just pulled them and had them done and made new door panels so just got to bolt/ clip the white stuff in the old car. Going to try to get that done this week, I'll throw a pic up if I do.

Fern 54, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Did a 39 maybe 35-40 years ago (still have it) when the big thing was the "smoothie" look. All the trim was good and after seeing yours I wish I had kept it. I gave the hood candy cane shaped trim to an old man that had been looking for some for a long time and I thought he was going to cry. Yours proves the original look is usually better than what we so called customizers come up with. Wanna trade?

Mike's 39 002.jpg Mike's 39 004.jpg Mike's 39 005.jpg

5. metalman

metalman

Yeah, the stock hood trim is hard to find. When I built my 39 standard coupe a few years ago it was missing all the side trim. I couldn't find the hood pieces ( they repop every other piece) by the time I was close to paint so as much as I hated too I welded up all the trim holes. BTW my coupe was just about the same color as your Tudor, mine was mid 60's GM butternut yellow. Loved that car, really hated selling it.

6. 1pickup

1pickup

From one '39 Standard owner to another: Nice work. I wouldn't have went with the newer Ford power (mine's a flathead), but keep the hood closed & it's all good.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

8. metalman

metalman

Finished putting the old interior into the Deluxe. Should of took a before picture but it was definitely an upgrade to this one and fits the theme well, as disappointed we were with it at least it got re purposed instead of going in the trash.
    DSC_0267.JPG
    Here you go, I don't always go late model. Can close the hood on this one, swapped the engine 6 years ago, have yet to put the hood back on!
    DSC_0268.JPG