Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finger Loops on Fenders - what's that about then?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Nov 12, 2012.

  1. School me..... Is it original? What was the purpose?



    Pictures from Front St Cycle.
  2. they were made from spare tire covers and they are part of the catch.
  3. Ahhh - makes sense.
  4. propwash
    Joined: Jul 25, 2005
    Posts: 3,858

    from Las Vegas

    tb33 knows.....and he was just a tad faster than I was...zackly what they are for. Other fenders (real motorcycle, trailer) won't have those, just the ones made out of the solid spare tire/connie kit covers.

  5. truck
    Joined: Feb 24, 2009
    Posts: 116

    from Brisbane

    Or sardine tins. :p
  6. Pull on it, get a nice refreshing coke?:rolleyes:

  7. So..... they're there to make new cycle fenders look more authentic.
  8. Means your ride's so trendy,it has piercings!
  9. CodeMonkey
    Joined: Sep 13, 2012
    Posts: 92

    from Moline IL

    What's next? Gaging (think ears)? :eek:
  10. The new trend will be artificially aged tires......
  11. tommy
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 14,757

    Member Emeritus


    They were there to remove the ring from the spare so that the center cover could be unlocked and removed. There was only one finger pull per ring. Usually you would get 2 fenders from one ring. Somebody went to a lot of trouble and expense to have both fenders with the loops. I like the detail. The center cover had a rubber insert around the edge that the ring rode against to prevent paint chipping. There was no catch.

    I see where now someone is making those finger pulls so maybe you can get away with only one ring.
  12. Snafu
    Joined: Oct 10, 2005
    Posts: 61


    Man that cracks me up.

    I had a conversation a few years back (actually I was talking to a wall), with a Fast and the Furious guy. I was looking at Hamb and he looked over my shoulder. Seen a car with a primer paint job and he made a comment. How he loves the retro looking paint and he wants to do his Eclipse like that. But he has to save up for the paint. I told him its just Rustoleum. He laughed at me and said I have no idea what I am talking about. It's special paint to "look" aged.

    You might be on to something with the idea of artificially aged tires haha.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.