Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Finding the Road Rebels...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Thelost40

Thelost40

No kiddin' huh? It's great!

2. Thelost40

Thelost40

I haven't looked in the old mags yet.. guess that's my next lead! Thnx!

3. That logo on the jacket just looks familiar to me, hope it pans out.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Doreen, your Dad would be proud!!

5. Ryan - Great Blog! ... it typifies what I love about the H.A.M.B.!

Kevin S & Jillian - Awesome work on the reproduction jacket!

djtwigsta - Very nice photography!

Thelost40 - Cool story! ... I'll dig through my archives of '50s Automotive periodicals ... I seem to remember an article with a picture of a Road Rebels club car at an East coast drag strip (perhaps Sanford, Maine).

6. I think thats the one I remember, just got done going through a couple crates full before the 4th:eek:

7. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Cool story and jacket!!

8. Thelost40 -

Here's a lead for you ... the Defenders CC (of Wellesey, Massachusetts) used to race at the Sanford Dragway in the mid to late '50s ... here's a few pics of the Defenders' cars:

Working at the Defenders Barn.jpg The beginnings of our Dragster!.jpg Defenders Cars in progress.jpg
    Working on the Defenders Dragster.jpg Going to the Sunday Drags at Sanford, ME Airport.jpg The Defender's Dragster.jpg
    Sept. '59 - The boys watching a dragster in Sanford, ME doing 107 MPH in the quarterle..jpg Rocky's Mercury at the Sanford Drag Strip in Maine.jpg Karl Christianson's 59 Chevy at Sanford, ME drags.jpg

NOTE: all images from the "Gamaliel Bradford High School Class of '58 - Gary Lapham"
    webpage ... just click HERE.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  9. Thelost40

Thelost40

Thank you for saying that! :)

10. Thelost40

Thelost40

Thank you. I had never heard of the Defenders. I will have to ask a few of the guys I know who around back in the day if they knew them.

11. Thelost40

Thelost40

Thanks for looking.. The Road Rebels was a common name. There was actually a club a few towns over from Medford with the same name except it wasn't spelled with the apostrophe s though.

12. Oh yea, I didn't enlarge that photo so I didn't see it.....

13. DaveInc

DaveInc

14. Oh yea, I didn't enlarge that photo so I didn't see it.....

15. RAY With

RAY With

Great history and story there Ryan and thanks for sharing. It reminded me of our club in the late 50's when we had shirts and jackets and then I thought where the hell are they? I cant remember what happened to them but I do know how to get a hold of some of the old members I think.

16. thishero

thishero

Awesome story, and a great read to end my work day.

17. Great story Thanks for sharing with us Doreen.Ryan another reason why the HAMB is such a great place.Kevin & Jillian you two do awesome work an are good folks to do business with.....you guy's just brought history back to the present.

18. autobilly

autobilly

Credit were it's due, very cool!

19. Silva

Silva

Jill and I are grateful to have had the opportunity to collaborate on this project.

It really is fulfilling to have such an appreciative client...Thanks Doreen!

20. Great post Ryan! I had the pleasure of meeting Doreen's dad in the early 1960's.Went to his house in Medford with another local hot rodder(Carl "Bunny" Beatrice).Seems to me I did some striping for him but I can't remember if it was on the 40 or something else.
    I was in the Navy when I heard Paul had been killed;a very tragic story.A short time after that Bunny also passed away from leukemia.
    Paul also had a younger brother(Tony)who had a kick ass 34 cabriolet with a Pontiac V-8 in it.Another Medford hot rodder by the name of Tim Carroll owned it for a long time until he passed away some years ago.Don't know where it is now.Tim and his brother John built that chopped 55 Ford gasser/custom with the injected Lincoln motor that was on here awhile back.
    The town I grew up in also had a club(the one Doreen referred to in her story)called the Road Rebels.Strangely enough I had never heard of the club in Medford which is less than 15 miles away.
    Anyway good luck Doreen in finding out the story on the club.I had talked to a couple of friends from Medford about it(Frank Palmisano and Vinnie Depaolo)and I guess they had spoken with you already.

21. Bodger45

Bodger45

Great story, and beautiful work on the jacket. Thanks for sharing.

22. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Cool jacket, cool story with a really cool ending. Like others have said Doreen, your pops would be mighty proud of you. You can definitely see that you are your fathers daughter.

23. Thelost40

Thelost40

:) Thanks

24. Thelost40

Thelost40

Thanks Kevin, seeing all the responses here has been amazing. Thank you Ryan for letting me tell the story!

25. Thelost40

Thelost40

On my search for the Road Rebel's I was also able to find my Uncle Tony's Cabriolet/turned Roadster that Timmy Carroll bought. It is still in the family, Tim's son now has it in his garage. My avatar picture is my dad's 40. Is that the one you striped?

26. Thelost40

Thelost40

Thanks! Yep, people tell me all the time how much I look like him. :)

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Pretty cool story,very well written. I can tell from it you have a great desire.
    Best of luck in finding everything about your Dad's club and maybe even reviving it!!
    By the way really nice jacket.

Muncie

28. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

[​IMG]

29. sololobo

sololobo

Doreen, best wishes for running down some info, sure great to have another female hotrodder among us, and a cute one I may ad, and I bet those nicely toned arms can twist a wrench. The jackets are super fine, the Silvas are really on the game. I have a chain stitch gal here but she does limited work these days, not many chain stitchers left. Keep on keepin on! ~sololobo~

30. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

A great morning read.