Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Finding Replacement Fuel Pump for 327

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Hello,

My dad's '61 Corvette has a 327. From the numbers on the block, it appears to be a mid 60's 327. We know very little about the fuel pump that is on the car now, however none of the replacement fuel pumps we can find look the same. Can anyone determine by the pictures below what we have and what should go back? The engine has a very mild cam and stock heads. I took pictures of all of the markings on the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Original style bolt together pump..
    Rock auto has them.
    Same part # 4665..airtex brand
    Any local parts store worth a damn will be able to get one for you..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Yeah , I was impressed with Rock Auto , I was in need of a fuel pump for my 66 Nova 327, the clocking of the inlet and outlet had to be exact ...they had an AC Delco pump that was exact...I bought an extra.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Try to find an AC. I once installed an Airtex that put out over 18 lbs. which is a bit much for a Q-Jet ...

8. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the responses. What has confused me is that those other units seem to have the outlets clocked at a different position than what we have on the car now. Is it as simple as taking the screws out and turning it the direction we need it?

Also, I'm unsure if this is actually a correct fuel pump for our application as far as fuel pressure might go. Would it possibly cause too much or too little fuel if it's not right for the engine?

9. phat rat

phat rat

Yes it's as simple as taking the screws out and turning it to where you need it.

10. my '58 Vette has a built 327 and uses a Holley pump that looks like an original screw together style like you posted. As phat rat says you can remove the screws and clock the outlet to your needed position.

Here's the one I have Holley part #12-834

[​IMG]

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clocking them to fit the application was standard procedure back when this style of pump was the norm rather than "vintage". Make sure you don't overpay no matter which one you get as some of the prices were at least double and more for the exact same pump. There is no reason to pay double for the same exact pump just to get it from a Corvette parts dealer.

lurker mick likes this.
  12. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

got mine from speedway less than 40.00 shipped has about 7,000 Mi. on working fine