Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finding Posts from Images in the Gallery

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by BashingTin, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hello all!

One of the cool things I like about the HAMB is the list of "Latest Album Pictures" found at the bottom of main page when you first log on. It's great to see what some users are working on!

So it occurred to me that if an image is in a users gallery, it might be included in a thread created by the same image owner somewhere in the forum. Some of the galleries are filled with build images that would be great to see in an actual build thread. Of course, there is the real possibility that the user hasn't actually made a thread about his images, but instead he's just storing them in his gallery.

The HAMB is a very big place. And finding stuff can be like trying to drink from a fully open fire hydrant. :eek:

So my question to the group:

If you stumble across a cool image in a users gallery, is it possible to find it in a users thread in the forum?

I tried doing this with some of my own images and for the life of me I can't seem to find my thread from the images stored in my gallery. I use the image address in the gallery, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Yes..... I used both the HAMB search and Google using the "site:" construct with no luck.

Did any of that make sense?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Take care all!

David

2. BashingTin

BashingTin

Well, never mind. I just figured it out!

Turns out I was using the wrong address for the image when I was searching.

I did learn that the google search using the "site:" operator seems the most helpful.

Simple Example...

An image in a gallery with the address: "http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=27470&pictureid=332118" can be found on the forum using google with this string:

"http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=27470&pictureid=332118 site:www.jalopyjournal.com"

That string above (without the qoutes and all on one line with a space before the "site:" term) will return any instances of the image address located on the forum. It's interesting to note that it does not find the link to the image in the gallery, but instead on the forum itself. Go figure...

Take care,

David