Register now to get rid of these ads!

finding parts - JUNKYARD question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Sep 8, 2004.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Man, I am having a tough time with this one and am starting to grasp at straws. . . I remember some of you are in the salvage business so maybe I can get pointed in the right direction.

Here is what I know-

I am building a big '54 Chevy COE project that I am re-designing for airbags front and back. I need a heavy duty straight axle, brake brackets, rotors, steering links, etc. from a late-ish model (hopefully 80's and up for ease of parts replacement) chevy p-30 or p-20 delivery van or motorhome with a narrow track front end and 16" 8-lug wheels.

What I don't know are part numbers or anything more specific. I drove around to salvage yards that specialize in trucks all over so-cal last weekend- literally took friday and saturday off work to try and find the stuff and every place either handles semi's or pickups but nothing inbetween.

I can walk out my door and see that half of the vehicles driving around are UPS vans, taco trucks, ambulences, mail vans, etc., and about half of those have the DAMN parts I want right there in plain view. But according to the 15 salvage joints I have visited this type of vehicle doesn't seem to exist.

Any ideas of how I could even begin to find this stuff? I filled out a few online used parts search forms and just got a bunch of spam. Calling around is a waste of time without part numbers, so I drove around hoping that someone would feel pity and offer a good suggestion. But all I learned is that junkyard operators are generally not too interested in being helpful after they tell you they "never seen anything like that".

Help me before I get really desperate and steel the Hostess Twinkie truck that is parked in front of my work right now . . .

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

look up some motor home junk yards, winnebago used that similar chassis, usually dodge powered but the front axle was a big straight and narrow, disc unit i am looking at one in my back yard that was a burn ,i could measure it for you tommorrow if you like

3. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Hey Robert, There are a bunch of those running around that are using GM one-ton dually front ends. They're IFS, big brakes, easy to air bag and you can get everything from dropped spindles to stout tubular control arms for that front end.

Heck, you could just stretch a 1988 to 1998 Dually chassis and use the whole thing (from the motor right down to the hydroboost brakes). It would be the heavy-duty version of an S-10 under a '48 to '54 Chevy pickup swap. If you decide to go this route, drop me a PM and I'll turn you on to all of my homise that do late-model truck stuff - they'll make your life a lot easier.

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

yeah I searched online and in the yellow pages but no motorhome salvage came up in S. Cal.

definitely measure what you have, lug pattern, brake size etc. if you are anywhere within halfway sane driving distance.

5. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i have some complete axles from step vans and motor homes!
    but i'm a long way from cali.. call me if you need more info 800-798-2581

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

too bad im soo far i have a 1990 isuzu npr box truck that has a bad motor (some came with sbc). it has a 16' box i have been saving the truck to do a COE

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Well. . . glad to know you guys all have this stuff in your backyards thousands of miles away . . nice.

but any tips on how to find this stuff? Is there a way to use those online parts networks or to tap into some kind of local database. . . or maybe a way to find part numbers for GM stuff.

How do the local mechanics find that used late model brake caliper that they spray paint and put in your car and charge you for a new one?

8. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Robert, There are a bunch of those running around that are using GM one-ton dually front ends. They're IFS, big brakes, easy to air bag and you can get everything from dropped spindles to stout tubular control arms for that front end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wish . . . but this needs to be a working delivery truck . . wih the big box hanging off the back and all. . . so I need more up and down range then I can get out of IFS - 14" up and down to keep that long box from scraping every driveway . . . straight axle with links and bags seems like the only way to get there

I've been studying those late model truck links you gave me for the rear set ups . . like cantilevers and watts links craziness. . . and will do something along those lines front and back to get some serious height. This thing is turning into a circus act a little bit though.

9. Mutt

Mutt

10. Foul

Foul

it's rare to find that stuff in junkyards - i know, i've kept an eye out for them wanting to do a very similar project. Try instead to look for used equipment auctions, or check the heavy truck section of the local car trader mags. you'd be getting a complete truck that way, which seems pretty ideal for what is essentially a body swap. are you on the COE mailing list too? lot of good info flowing through there.
    also, hit up enjenjo sometime - I know he has a similar project going on.
    dan