Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FINDING CARS IN THE WOODS - A TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDTINPUSHER, Mar 22, 2016.

1. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

OKAY, AT THE URGING OF MANY FELLOW H.A.M.BER'S HERE A FIRST IN HOPEFULLY MANY POSTS ON FINDING CARS IN THE WOODS.
    THIS POST WILL COVER USING GOOGLE/BING MAPS TO AID IN YOUR SEARCH.
    FIRST IMAGE SHOW A ROAD WHERE I SAW A FEW OLD CARS ON A RIDGE BEHIND A HOUSE. THERE IS A 50 FOOT RIDGE BEHIND THE HOUSE . EAST(RIGHT) OF THE HOUSE ~ 300 FEET IS A ROAD LEADING INTO THE WOODS. NOTICE TRIANGLE IRREGULARITY IN WOODS. NEXT IS A BLOW UP THE TRIANGLE, THEN A DIFFERENT VIEW ON "BIRDSEYE" (BING MAPS ONLY, I REALLY LIKE THIS FEATURE). 900 PLUS CARS 1940 - 1970 !!! REMEMBER I ONLY SAW 3/4 CARS FROM THE ROAD. YOU CAN SEE ROAD IN LAST PHOTO AS IT IS COMING IN FROM THE TOP.
    USING WHAT YOU SEE IN YOUR TRAVELS, COMBINED WITH THE INTERNET CAN SAVE YOU A TON OF LEG WORK.

DSCN1287.JPG DSCN1288.JPG DSCN1289.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    michael knight and elgringo71 like this.
  2. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

NEXT WE SEE A FEW OLD CARS ACROSS FROM A HOUSE. BEHIND CARS IS A FIELD WITH A RISE /HILL 150 FEET OFF ROAD. SOMETHING DID NOT "JIVE" SO I BING MAPPED IT. BEHIND THE RISE (SEE ROAD IN SECOND PHOTO ON RIGHT) WAS THE OTHER 150 CARS. !!
    NOW I COULD APPROACH THE OWNER KNOWIUNG EXACTLY WHAT HE HAS.

DSCN1290.JPG DSCN1290.JPG DSCN1291.JPG

michael knight and elgringo71 like this.
  3. Moondog13

Moondog13

Holy Mother of God, I am moving to Albany, NY! Hahahah.

Thank you for the write up OldTinPusher, I am moving south to a more rural/farming area (Homestead) so this will be a great help!!

4. abone1930

abone1930

Cool , thanks

5. Cool thread. Thanks for sharing

6. Please release the CAPS LOCK,HRP

7. I have been metal detecting for about 20 years and the use of Google earth has helped tremendously.
    Plus while detecting I have run into many abandoned cars and trucks....
    I have always looked for the different trees in a field that indicates a homestead at one time.
    great info.....

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Now I know what I will be doing on my 'break" time

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, it's a great tool.
    Another great site to use is Historic Aerials. You type in an address, then you have a selection of different back dates (if available for the area) to choose from so you can see the same aerial view as early as the 1950's.
    So if you recall a stash of cars from decades ago in your travels, you can punch the location into a past date to confirm your memory/location is correct, then go to our current date to see if it's still there. Fun to see what your neighborhood once looked like before it was built up. This works for everything from a full stash to an old car in a backyard.

If you activate "roads" in the "overlays" drop down, it will highlight current day roads to help you ID where an old photo detail actually lies. Like Google Earth, you can scan your area backdated! Then look in current time to see if it's still there.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

As an example, here's an old wrecking yard I recall from the early 70's that closed by 1980 and is now a self storage unit. Shots are 1968, 2012. For the OP, he can backdate the location to see when the cars started to gather there.

1968.jpg 2012.jpg

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

11. I know where a couple of abandoned underground limestone mines are at. they are full of old iron. one has a portion of I55 running over the top of it. good luck finding those with a sattelite image. Yep for most of us privacy is dead. My hoard located at the hwy 90 & 93 jct is readily visible.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Man, you've got that right.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. ...........................Looks like I'm gonna have to start wearing clothes when I lay out on my deck. Those hovering helicopters look a little suspicious.:D:):D;):eek:

Hnstray, Texas Webb and wraymen like this.
  14. That's funny! I know this place loves pictures but please don't post any.:)

slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

One issue might be that these pictures can be out dated. on my overhead Google view of my place it shows what was there maybe three years ago.
    oh yes... please unlock the caps. caps are the cyber equivalent of shouting.

16. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

nah you cant blow the picks up that far..........:):p

Hnstray, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  17. prpmmp

prpmmp

Why is he yelling?? My ears HURT!!!!!! Pete

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Finding by aerial pictures is one thing.
    Getting to see them could be another story.
    I know of several private stashes that when strangers inquire about them they are advised to go away and the advice is not negotiable

Old wolf and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. ^ That's what I was thinking. When you ask the owner about them, the first thing he's going to think is that you have already trespassed on his property. Then you explain how you studied aerial photos and he starts reaching for his shotgun. There is a reason why those cars are well off the road in the middle of the woods. Your best bet is networking with people at swap meets etc. and let them tell you about their stash.

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Baldies

Baldies

Most of the reason is because you make a dump; far from your house, out of sight and on unused or unusable land. Years ago, before gps farming, there often were wood lots between neighbors fields. They were a dumping ground for field rock and, often, old cars.

21. Pete

Pete

Kinda screwed up knowing people can look at your property without even stepping foot on it.

Old wolf, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Baldies, a dump is a pile of cars pushed into a ravine or crammed together in a small area. A line of cars or ones in some form of order is a "collector" (see above pictures). There is no way some farmer and his ancestors went through 3 to 400 cars in their life time. Maybe they are for sale and maybe you can get access, go for it. To me its a little creepy and invasive but that is just my opinion.

I use the hell out of aerial photos and topo maps for hunting but that is after I have permission to hunt or fish on the property.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Old wolf and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. times change I went over to my other place just last week. some thief had tresspassed and stole the steering collum and sliding back glass from a OT 74 ford pickup. Hard to now what else they stole. Cant see it from the road. Ive let the fence row grow up into a privacy hedge. I suppose everything has to be in a building where it cannott be seen? I would love to have one of those out of date chicken grower houses to hide my stuff in. Vehicles placed on someones private property are not something abandoned. they are not something found. No matter how you locate where something is at. It is first and foremost someone elses property. Be respectful of their rights.

24. I can smell old fords in the woods while driving or boating by!

25. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Yes they can. Several pay to use sites are available were you can read license plate numbers and count roof tiles. Sorry about the caps, They enable me to see better what I am typing.

26. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

you missed the joke there......
    anyway best way is to find the stuff then make contact in a round about way, I usually try the local bush fire guys down here, they know everyone and if they realise your not an arse they can hook you up with the guy, take cake if the owner has a wife or beer if not... much better being introduced than just arriving on a door step.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Google search "how to adjust the font size on your monitor". You'll then be able to see your monitor (while everyone else sees "their" view) and not have to use all caps/yell at everyone (which is comparable to driving with your high beams on 100% of the time because "you can see better").

An even newer technology to follow up desk top satellite imagery is a camera equipped drone. It would give someone a detailed look but might get the user and the drone shot as it's an extreme invasion of privacy.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, yeah, no.

Our current satellites can read the deposit information off of a beer can, if it is standing up.

Traditional?

29. texkbc

texkbc

33 chevy.jpg I live next door to a place that is loaded with old cars. The owner passed away last year. He has cars and parts scattered all thru the property (100acres) . Spotted a Chevy Coupe View attachment 3188515 View attachment 3188515

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Moondog13 and kidcampbell71 like this.