Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finaly got to weld again after being paralysed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopshop13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Frustrating man.
    I used to be a bit of a Macgyver, always Widling something up, now i strugle to open an envelope, its shit. And when i come up with an idea for a nifty gadget to help me do something, i cant make it. Catch 22.

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

Like the marines say, when the going gets tough, the tough get going, good luck.

3. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are amazing and your story is inspiring . Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Good Luck man .

4. cafekid

cafekid

Kick ass dude keep at it youre an inspiration to us all !!!!!

5. markjenks

markjenks

Great story ya got there. Keep pushing, eventually it'll come. It always does...

All you need now is someone to give you a hand that is local that can spend some time to help ya get situated and figure out what you need. You got the ideas, you just need someone to give ya a hand to help put it in motion. Don't be afraid to ask for help no matter what, there are lots of us out there that will help without even thinking about it, but never get asked.

-Mark

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Just hadda thought....you know there is stuff out there to make handicap folks licves easier, BUT I cant imaging that there is alot of stuff out there to do what you want. judging by the number of people in the world I would imagine that there are alot of like minded folks such as yourself with a similar situation...

If you can come up with the ideas, I'd be willing to be you can find someone to market em too....IE a new job that would help folks...

7. choppershox

choppershox

Your the man. I'd probably lay down in the corner and die...Really inspirational...

8. historynw

historynw

Well thats an inspiration I had a childhood friend same deal went on to sing & teach music, later became a advocate for independant living. I applaud you.[​IMG]

Well done

9. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

You are an inspiration to us all. Your welds dont look to bad. they look about the same as mine. i just started learning how to tig and can lay an alright bead, but i can mig like no other. Stay strong and keep it up

10. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

Nothing feels better that getting to work on your own car. Congratulations!

You are probably already up on this but a good friend of mine is in the same position as you and he has just had a surgery to take some of the redundant muscles in his arms that still work and attach them to his hands to get some grip back. It takes some time to retrain your brain to use these muscles to move your hands but he is really excited to get some movement back.
    I am in no way an expert on this but If you have any questions let me know. I could hook you up with him.

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

CutUpCars,

My brother was in a bad car accident in 1970, the year I was born. He was 19. He lay in a bed for 18 months listening to how he would never walk again. Like you, he made a choice to carry on. A year out of the hospital and he was back on his feet in steel braces and wrist crutches. He struggled to return to shooting pool (his favorite sport), then faced the reality of making a living sitting down. In 1972 he went to school to be a jeweler. Today he is one of a handfull of Certified Master Jewelers in Texas and much younger than most, having sat at the bench near 40 years already. Over the years, he continued to challenge himself physically. He left crutches for canes, then only one. He eventually sat aside steel braces with heavy boots for fiberglass braces and high top sneakers. About 10 years ago, he threw away the glass braces for lace up ankle supports. Now, he wears any shoe he wants with no assisting devices. He tried to get back on a motorcycle back in the '80s with limited success, but just purchased a new Spider for Christmas! My point is that he never sealed his own fate by accepting the worst, but instead opened up all possibilities by challenging himself. I have no doubt that you have a lot in common with my bro'. He's one of my heroes. It looks like you are well on your way to a bright future. The human spirit knows no earthly bounds. Keep it up!

12. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

you rule man keep the posts coming

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

14. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Hey man that's just plain inspirational. Keep us up to date on how you are doing with your projects.

15. brady1929

brady1929

great job. way to make the best of a crappy situation.

16. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

GOOD GOING PAL.
    one of my best friends is in a similar situation. although he does not weld , he went back to school and is going to get an engineering degree among other things. recently he had a buddy add one of those landscaper wheels on the back of his wheelchair. the kind that the landscaper steps onto and rides the lawnmower.
    now when he goes to concerts or car shows and such whoever is with him is literally "in for the ride"
    i will make sure my friend gets this post.
    also. where do you live as i am willing to bet any HAMBER who is capable of welding and fabricating in your area will more than likely be willing to make you anything you need. i hope you have a great day and keep up the great work buddy. you are a fucking inspiration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! vinny

17. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Way to go!! Can't be said enough. Great to see you still follow your dreams. What an inspiration!!:)

18. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Years ago I read an article online (maybe it was here on the Hamb ?) about a fella who lost his eyesight as a child. As he got older he got a summer job as an intern at the company (I think his Dad may have worked for) If I remember it right they described the internship as more of a charity case rather than expecting any results. I believe this was only supposed to last a summer or some short time - in any event he ended up working his whole career there and eventually retired from there. Anyways the article went on to describe how his hobby is restoring cars. He makes (machines) any parts he is missing and has done some awesome work. One of his early challenges was getting a set of micrometers that HE could read - so he designed a set and then had the fellas at the shop where he worked fab them. After THAT he was "set" in a manner of speaking. So what's my long winded point??? Well if there are some gadgets that you need and can't fab up yet - why not ask your fellow Hambers for some help. Maybe we could help out???

19. I do have the option of this surgery, but to be honest and dfumbly optomistic, im holding out for stem cell treatment... who knows.

Now that is inspirational, its storys like that which moraly force me to achieve something for myself.

20. chris55

chris55

You sir are the man.

21. monsterflake

monsterflake

exactly!

22. Blue

Blue

Truth is certainly more amazing than fiction. You are an incredible inspiration! I'll think of you when I'm coming up with excuses to not do some garage work.
    In fact I suck because Chris Harris and Tony Christiansen are already fine examples of 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going.'
    Be patient with yourself. You've already accomplished a great deal of progress.

23. Man, this is the most inspirational thing I have EVER read here on the Hamb......

"Thank you." My best friends boy is wheel chair bound, so I kinda....kinda know where your coming from.

Hats off to you, my friend. Carl Hagan

24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I have shown this to my son who works with me in the garage.Anytime we start getting frustrated with some stupid minor thing,I will use your example to show us how to stop whinning and have some balls like you.
    A pencil style torch may be easier to hold? I have been welding for 35 years and still have trouble some time.I really did needed this kick in the butt.Thanks brother!!

25. oz40

oz40

Inspirational,............... a real man in todays world.
    There should be more people like you, and our lovely planet would be a better place.

26. synthsis

synthsis

I love it. Shit ain't gonna keep you down and I respect the hell out of you for that.

27. I have an idea brewing in my head that might work for your rod-feeder---

how is your elbow function? something along the lines of- everytime you straighten your elbow, the rod feeds out. How much you flex would determine how much would feed.

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Good for you! Keep on keepin' on....

29. 510madmav

510madmav

Wow, This guy is amazing, I'll never complain again. Keep on going man!