Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finaly got my flathead unstuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crisallt, Oct 21, 2007.

1. crisallt

crisallt

Thanks to all of you who have answered posts in the past on how to get a stuck motor apart. I've had this flatmotor lying around for years and I figured it was finaly time to see what was left of it.

Three of the pistons were 'stuck real good' the rest came with a minimum of convincing. The valves were the worst, I got about half out, the rest I had to cut to get the springs off, so I could get the cam out. Even after much beating from below with a long punch, I still had 3 that I wouldnt move the valve or the guide so that I could take out the retainer.

I'm sure I got the idea to weld a nut on the top of the valve from here (thanks whoever) and I ended up 'pulling' the valves out so that I could beat the guides out.

Some pictures of the fun, and the results. The block is hopefully good, and the crank and rods look fine.

This one is a C1BA ('51 Canadian Merc) destined to be mated with a 4-71 and will eventually replace the 239, isky, 4bbl combo in my '40 coupe I hope.

Attached Files:

2. Good idea welding the nut onto the vlave.

3. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Well done! Fun aren't they?? I still have vivid memories of taking my C1BA apart with valve pieces bouncing off my shop ceiling! Only had one head bolt that was a real bear and took the welding of several nuts on it to finally get it out. Will have to remember that nuts work on valves too! Good luck! Regards, Dave.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Very good idea. You may have gotten the initial idea from my post, but your setup looks much better. I actually ended up having to do quite a bit more work to get mine out - it's here if you're interested in reading about the long way around.

So did you make a little puller to fit in that nut? A piece of steel and a few bolts or? Really smart... much smarter than my lame slide hammer thing.

FYI - I have the vicious tools Bruce refers to in the second link... but haven't found a flathead suitable to use them on yet.

5. crisallt

crisallt

I used 3/8" ready-rod into the nut welded to the valve - then put an old crank pulley over that (their nicely dished for the job) put a heavy washer which was large enough to cover the hole in the pulley, nut, then get after it with the wrench. As the valve lifted - I backed off the nut and shimmed underneath the pulley with blocks of wood.

Very low tech, but managed to get everything apart without destroying the good stuff...