Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. I'm Andrew. I've been visiting this site for many, many years, drooling over the cars in the classifieds, watching and absorbing the build threads and reading each post on the Jalopy Journal. I've even posted a few pictures on the Sitting and Rotting thread of vehicles (and one old building) that I spied on my work travels through Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. Growing up I would attend car shows with my best friend Peter and his family each weekend, piling in to their 1961 T-Bird and hitting shows in central CT. I attended the 1984 and 1985 Lead East shows with them and my bedroom was covered with pictures torn from car magazines. Peter went on to attend Auto Body school and I was set to go to school to learn to weld so that we could start our own fabrication business, but plans changed. Off to college I went and then a career in banking and finance that took me first to Oklahoma and then Missouri. My love of all things automotive never dimmed, but just was put off to the side for 30 years. I always planned on owning a traditional rod or custom, just need to wait until the "time was right".

Last summer, I approached my loving wife of 25 years with the idea of owning something HAMB-worthy. I had set my sights on a 1937 Chevy and lined up old friend Peter to go look at it, since it was on the East coast. "Nope.", was the immediate answer. Over the next few days, her response softened to "Maybe, but not that old. And something closer. Something I might be able to drive, too." I found a 1956 Buick Special 2 door hardtop, in good driver condition, locally and got the blessing to go look at it. I love the low roof line, radiused rear wheel arches and chrome trim of these cars and I was smitten. I made the purchase and brought it home. I won't go into the details, but it has some non-HAMB attributes that I thought would make it more palatable and reliable for my non-car-nut wife to accept. Sort of a Gateway to something else in the future once she "caught the bug". My first trip out, the suspect wiring left me stranded and a fuel leak around the filler neck caused the garage to stink. I had the tank repaired and the electrical gremlins beat back, but my plan for a car to share died. 14 months later, she has never sat in the car, let alone taken a ride or driven it.

So, I'm on the HAMB, enjoying my Buick and planning for whatever is next.
    When I bought it.
    02.jpg

After dropping the front end a bit and adding some 1957 Roadmaster caps.
    Roadmaster caps.jpg

e1956v and jakespeed63 like this.
  2. She’s beautiful
    Don’t feel bad, my wife could care less about my car/cars too

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thanks! Glad to know I'm not alone.....

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

As a Buick guy since birth I think you done great. You were lucky to fine that 56, I am LOVIN' it!!

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

That's a peach!

6. Thank you! It's my daily driver, when I have somewhere to go.

7. Thanks!

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Welcome and very cool car!:)