The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sid E. Burns, Aug 11, 2019.
I like it!
Cool car, man.
Hey, Bud. Your English is fine. Nice find. A good friend recently sold a super '34 4 door to a dude in Sweden. It's totally road worthy with a 350/350, 9" Ford dropout, a/c, discs all around and a beautiful soft red. I'd drive it anywhere. Well, good luck with your project.
Started stripping down the engine on the ”pretty side”, to mock up lake pipe kit, valve cabinet cover and new intake and carb.
As i switched valve cover, i had to make a new gasket.
Vellumoid for the win!
The Burns intake manifold weren’t directly applicable with the lake pipe kit, i’ll have to make the two middle pipes to get its way under the intake.
Next problem was the throttle manouvering- stock carb has a straight forward movement to open carb, the Stromberg a backwards.
The Stromberg also got a quite long movement, so i had to construct some , what you call it , interchange...?
I used the original rod for the upper bit, carb and backwards. The longer, lower one is from the original hand throttle linkage, which i bent to get correct length.
I’ll shorten it as soon as i get my hands on a gas welder at work, so i can solder it correctly.
I also found out that the original oil pipe was too short to fit the new valve cover, guess i’ll have to cut and longer...
That side plate may be like the Riley. It is slightly longer and uses a 30-31 oil tube.
I solved it with a hose, clamps and the angle grinder for now.
Going to a ”Ford only” swap meet next saturday, might find a proper one there!
Been on my favourite Swap meet this weekend, the biggest one in Sweden.
Found lots of cool stuff;
*Upholstery hammer $10
*Old Sweden countryplate in aluminum $2
*Hooker patch $5
*Wool blanket from the 60’s $15
* German Stielgranate dummy (might become a shifter knob..) $10
* Ford ring, that actually fitted my banjo steering wheel nice, will have to modify the ring though. $4
* A Jaguar style filler cap $15
* Two nice vintage pin up paintings $5 a pop.
* Intake gasket, $8
And last but not least, a mighty train horn for $12!
I’ll got to figure out a way to make it work on the model A, that thing is rad!
Had a little paint session today, had to try an idea i’d had for a while;
Painted the rear wheel arch in the original red yesterday, and started masking and cutting during the morning coffee...
Sprayed the checkered pattern with a matte yellow i had on the shelf, and a clear coat layer to finish.
Satisfied with the result!
That checkerboard turned out nice!
I’ve been tinkering with small stuff lately.
First off, i fixed the train horn functionality.
I found a used fire extinguisher at work, got in and had a little talk with the tire guys and got a high pressure (9 bar) valve.
Screwed the top of the extinguisher and blowed out the last of the dust inside, drilled a hole in the bottom and installed the air valve.
Got some new hose and connected the train horn.
When i got home i installed the lot under the backseat floor, and got some bike wire from the handle up and in to the cabin, where the carburetor handle used to be.
I had a broken timing chain from my Honda Z50, which i connected to the wire and a brass knuckle;
Let’s say, people WILL get out of the way...
I caught a massive man cold the other day, so i skipped work thursday and friday.
After treating it with self pity, old episodes of Fast n’ loud and some Jack Daniels (for medical purposes only) i felt the urge for creating stuff...
First off, i started fixing with the banjo style steering wheel.
Removed the original one, and cut the studs holding the hub.
I drilled out the centre of the banjo, and got the tapering right after a while.
Some drilling and threading later, voila!
Still got the horn ring to cut, but i finally got a car with a banjo steering wheel...
The German Stiel grenade i bought on the swap meet became a shifter knob, not sure to use it though...
Then i thought i’d try a trick i made on my ’49.
I had a box of plastic letters on the shelf, which i cut and sandpapered off the tiny studs on the back.
I super glued the letters on the hood, then two layers of spray filler and some paint.
I also cut the ”vinyl” and stuff off the roof.
Separate names with a comma.