Register now to get rid of these ads!

FINALLY, Real rims, not junk.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Sep 17, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

After dicking around for a bit, and the shop loosing air pressure while the constructions crew added a new line, i got the wheels and tires situated.
    and i couldnt be more happy, take a look...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    next ill be sanding them a little and getting gloss black on them, possibly painting the inner hub dish metalflake silver.
    trim rings are still undecided.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

just a wonder, what do you guys think i should do with them, i have a few options and i dont make decitions well.
    keep in mind this is roughly what its going to look like when done.
    im just keeping the rally's till i can afford The Chrome Reverse & whitewalls.
    [​IMG]

3. ..run them rallys just like they are til you can afford the chrome rims/whites, they are the rite choice for your 58.

4. Your car looks a lot better in the snow.

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Very cool with the chromies and WW.

6. Anderson

Anderson

Are they 15" rallys? Sell them to someone who wants them, shouldn't be hard to find someone....then buy some cheap steel wheels which should be very easy to find and cheap. You'll probably make money on the deal. Chevy Rallys are some of my least favorite wheels, especailly when people try to run them on a "traditional" car.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Black with trim rings will minimize their rallyness.

8. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Fidgiter, i see what your saying.
    honestly i had the worst time trying to find steelies, looked high and low and couldnt find anyone with any worth getting.
    i picked these rally's up when i bought the car almost a year ago, hingsight i should of spent the money i did on the rims on a set of plains.
    im probally going to find another set of deep rounded chrome trim rings like on my monte carlo, they go from the bead to the inner rim and have a nice shine, should cover the slits in the rim.
    like i said, either astros, or perferably reverse will be going on as soon as funds provide.
    Still if any, they are better then the Aluminum ones.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Paint them black with black brakes and don't waste your time on plain steel rims. Focus on making the car faster, so that when you finally see a monte or chevelle with chrome reverse rims, you can chase em down and try to trade.

10. Anderson

Anderson

On the bright side, there are tons of hubcaps you can put over the wheels as is.

11. silent rick

silent rick

another thing to consider is the size of the whitewall. by 1960-61, wide whites were looking old and most guys started running narrower stripes. i think your 58 would look better with a 1 inch stripe in my opinion.

12. Find some driver quality 58 or so Corvette wheel covers... Corvette guys don't want anything but perfect, and you can pick up a set for a song.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Lower it and get some repop 15" '57 Dodge Lancer hubcaps to cover up those wheels! ;)

14. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Silent rick, i think you have a pretty solid idea, the way it is in the picture might be a little different then the final result, the tires i have now are a bit taller and i like how they fill the wheel well, so about a 2" or 1.5" might be the best.
    Gotgas & Fidge, you actually hit on one of my ideas.
    moon seels the repops for a decent price, but what i really like is the fiesta caps, and most likely they will be resting on the rims after $100.
    And as soon as i can get the old coils out im putting the old lowering coils my buddy gave me in the front, and then probally cutting maybe 1/2 or a little more out of the back. im still kinda thinking on what to do for that.

15. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

The best thing too, these rims hold air, its been 2 days and they still have the 32 the tire balencer pumped in them, the aluminum ones that were on when i got it leaked and messed the tire up so bad the tread expoded on my buddy who bought them, and the S10 rims leaked REALLY bad, so the rallys are at least good for that.

just out of curiosity, how low can these aircraft carrier sized boats be lowered?
    you know before the geometry gets out of whack.

16. Get some sweet Caps! I've got chevy ralleys hiding under the flipper caps on my coupe.

17. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

there you go, i mean hell my buddie has the cheap-as-piss wagon wheels on his 53 buick, under his fiesta caps, and his car is 3 times the car mine is.
    keep in mind, cars not finished yet guys, with all the body work to be done, and the fit and finish, these are honestly an improvement, but they are not final.