Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

@Six Ball @dumprat I didn’t know either way, I just mentioned it based off what I read as a precaution because I’d hate to see anything bad happen after all the hard work that has been put in

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Shadow creek I wasn't busting your chops, I just don't think we should promote incorrect information. Anecdotal evidence is not helpful and creates "old wives tales"

Six Ball and Shadow Creek like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I've been getting little things set up and done but this morning the dogs' barking brought me out of the shop. First one this year. A 3 footer is a big Great Basin rattler. Not like Texas. I have killed a couple in the shop. Kind of screws with your focus for a few minutes.
    200720_0001.jpg 200720_0003.jpg

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wow that things looks big enough to shake and bake!

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  5. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

That sound that they make is one that you never forget after you've heard it once! "Screws with your focus for a while!" Well put!!!

Six Ball, Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I've tried eating them but I don't like them. The only meat is along the spine and it takes a pretty big one to have enough meat to bother with. People say it tastes like chicken. It tastes like chicken that's been eating frogs. :rolleyes:

7. Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, tb33anda3rd, Jiminy and 2 others like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

9. Kume

Kume

Glad I live in New Zealand.
    No snakes and no covid 19 but plenty of vintage chevs :)

Atwater Mike, Stogy, Jimmy B and 5 others like this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Man, some cornmeal and old bay will fix that right up in a fryer! Side of tartar sauce or remulade, mmmmm-MM!

You keeping a 410 handy or are you depending on a shovel?

Can we expect some snakeskin accents in the upholstery soon?

11. Damn. We had our remote property in Cave Creek, AZ .. graded clear of all rocks, piles, debris, etc .. in the 60's because of those.

They like shelter, & small rodents & birds.

Every burrow got dynamite, when you could buy it over the counter. Barn cat army after. No small prey .. no snakes.

My great grandmother was a bad*ss, I guess. Gone before my time. The daughter of the 1st governor of the Arizona territory.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I just skinned it and tacked the skin over the window of my studio. (man shack)
    Patmanta, If you want 'em I'll send 'em.
    We have springs on the property. Where there is water there are rodents and where there are rodents there are snakes. Just the way it is.
    I've killed them with sticks, rocks, hoes, shovels, chains, lots of kinds of guns, and I even stomped on a couple. I watched my uncle grab one by the tail and try to snap it's head off. It didn't quite work but it did kill it. My "ranch gun" of choice right now in a Taurus Judge with a 6" barrel. Mine is for 2 1/2" 410 and my favorite hand gun round 45 long Colt. It really fills the bill as a great ranch tool. There are lots of load choices. It is very accurate with 45 rounds. Because of the gap between the bullet and forcing cone due to the long cylinder it leads the barrel after a few .45 rounds. A couple of 410 loads cleans it right out. It's the first thing I grab as I head out. It is a bit long for easy carrying but worth it.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Man, I apologize for the lack of progress here. Life just gets in the way here. I can try to blame it on the new heart valve in August, the new batch of Prickly Pear wine, deer season, or the work space in the shop disappearing again, but the truth is laziness. I've added a few new pieces and bought a shit pile of new 18 volt cordless Milwaukee tools. Some of them for the wood part of the project and some for all the other projects that need power tools away from a power source. I even got an adapter to use a Milwaukee battery on my little Black and Decker chain saw. So far I'm very impressed with them. I need to make room by getting rid of some of the old stuff. My younger son will get most of them. I got a propane heater for the shop and hope to make progress out there soon. I have to get the frame inside. It's starting to re-rust. I got an old aquarium sealed up for citric acid and will be soaking every rusty thing that will fit in it. Its big enough for the front cross member, drums, backing plates, and all but the main spring leaves. So bare with me and I'll get something done. The shop MUST be rearranged. It just doesn't work the way it is set up now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Stogy, patmanta, guitarguy and 4 others like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Shit happens. I Havnt touched my stuff for a little bit. Just can’t seem to find a fuck to give towards it at the moment. It’ll still be there when I do though

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Exactly! If anyone would understand it would be you. Thanks. :D

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  16. I have faith you will get going on this project! I'll bet you a beer ;)

Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Excuses, excuses, excuses! ........... We all run into interferences! Good Luck!

Stogy, Six Ball and TFoch like this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And it's winter time, snivelling about the cold weather and bitching about the rain uses up a lot of energy....

Stogy, brEad, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have a nice shop heater and some new tools. It shouldn't be a bad winter. I have to be ruthless about getting rid if stuff I don't need or won't ever use so I'll have room for the cool stuff.

Stogy, patmanta, brEad and 3 others like this.
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've made the switch to Milwaukee too! I've got a mix of M18 and M12 stuff and I am happy so far. My only complaint is their drill chucks can seize up sometimes which never happened with my DeWalt stuff. That propane heat will make a HUGE difference as long as you can keep it fed. I've got one in my shop now and it makes a huge difference.

The Milwaukee M12 die grinders are GREAT by the way and worth the money if you don't have or want a big compressor to run air tools.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Today I'm taking three 100 lb propane bottles to get rectified and filled. It isn't cheap to be warm but worth it.
    I've been looking at some of the smaller 12volt tools and wondered about the die grinder, thanks. Now that the shop won't freeze I'm going to set up a citric acid de-rusting tank inside. I can clean up a lot of parts this winter while putting the shop in order.
    The frame that I had almost finished blasting has a nice even coat of re-rust on it now. That may be a good surface for a good coat if Rust Doctor and be done with it.

Stogy and patmanta like this.
  22. spit6

spit6

Just found this thread, great read. Looking forward to the progress you make!

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Two of the three bottles got rectified and filled but one leaked and I left it there for them to fix. It makes me wonder when it leaked right after they certified it. My uncle died of a heart attack while getting dressed in the doctor's office right AFTER his annual physical. Who knows? I filled several small ones too so the dogs and I will be warm in the shop. One bottle was too old, from the 30s. I'll find something to use if for. Maybe a citric acid tank for springs and axles, tall skinny parts.
    spit6 feel free to jump in if you have ideas that'll help or think we have ideas that won't.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  24. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sixball, I was working on the rear sill today and noticed that the dims. did not add up, so I added 3/8" (41 3/4") overall. (matched up to the 39" trunk opening better) I have been cleaning shop.....making short narrow boards out of long wide boards!!! At least I have a place to walk now! Well at least in one area. Sounds great about getting some (above freezing) heat!

Six Ball likes this.
  25. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Sorry about your uncle! It seems like a lot of this is going on right now.

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That was a long time ago. The trusting of the propane expert made me think of how relieved Uncle Jack must have felt getting a clean bill of health minutes before he died.
    Was that my measurement or yours. I'll have to remember that when I get back on that. Are you building off of your frame? I think that will be my plan. I'm thinking the sills then the floor and start up from there.

27. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I reread your post. NOW I get it.. Sorry! I do not remember who's measurment that was, but I have it on the little sketch that I had shared. (really hate sending false info.) We both agreed on the trunk opening of 39", so I just worked my way out. If I am wrong now it'll only mean taking a belt sander to the ends.
    Right now I am only "cleaning" the shop! Working up what had been glued last year, blanking out and gluing up long parts like the trunk opening "s's", and others to get lumber off the floor.
    Yes, once I get that tractor out of the shop, I plan to build on the frame. (leveled and checked for square)
    Good luck with your shop cleaning/rearranging ! AND above all HAVE FUN!

brEad and Six Ball like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is how I plan to spend as much time as I can this winter. Roughing out some wood pieces, derusting parts, and putting components together. The assembled carbs, distributer, trans, engine, rear end, ... will take far less space than all of their badly scattered pieces. Small wood pieces are easier to store and move than 4'x8' sheets of baltic birch.

brEad likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

In the "Big Picture" of the wood replacement project I am in the process of learning to use Fusion 360, an amazing CAD program that will allow me to build a file showing each piece, it's detentions, and how it all fits together. If successful no one will have to do this again. It will be helpful for those replacing the wood with steel too. If I can manage this my cabinet maker friend's CNC machine will be able to crank out the pieces one at a time or in a complete set. I hope grumpy gabby 2 will still want to partner with me to get this done.
    Meanwhile I'm continuing to clean and straighten the shop some of which depends on assembling scattered components into complete useable units to be fitted as they are needed, until then stashed neatly out of the way.
    Next on that list is a bunch of '31 Chevy headlight pieces I rounded up on eBay after seeing my friends '31 Chevy truck and really liking the lights. I have never been able to find the pieces I need for the others I'd planned on using. Here's the parts.Removing paint and rust now. Progress to come. :)

s-l1600-11.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-10.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l400.jpg s-l140-1.jpg s-l140.jpg View attachment 4955367 View attachment 4955369 View attachment 4955370 View attachment 4955371 View attachment 4955372
    View attachment 4955366 View attachment 4955367 View attachment 4955368 View attachment 4955369 View attachment 4955370 View attachment 4955371 View attachment 4955372 View attachment 4955373 View attachment 4955374 View attachment 4955375

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Okie Pete, brEad, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  30. Twisted6

Twisted6

Six Ball did you get the Free fusion for home base Hobby Or did you buy it?