Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally made some progress on my A pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatheadz-forever, Aug 29, 2013.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Congrats again man. Lookin good!

2. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Thank you man have began your work on straightening the cab yet ?

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Not yet. I'm going to take it for one more ride before I tear it apart. Maybe today. Then the box and tailgate can come off and go to the blaster, the cab can come off for repair and the 36 dash install.

4. fortynut

fortynut

I'd make sure I had hydraulic brakes on it before I switched to a V8. A good banger will pull one along pretty fast, and being able to stop is as important as being able to stop. More so, when the scenery is rushing past and there's something up ahead --- like another car, or a tree, and all the shoe rubber has been rubbed off on the foot you're dragging out the door along the pavement. Shite!

5. My mechanical brake model A, will lock them up on dry pavement and send you threw the windscreen...I dont see how juice brakes could stop any better. They are just easier to maintain.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Looking great take your time and enjoy the build thats what makes great rides
    Colin

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My brother was building a pre war lakes 32 roadster, mechanical brakes. When we wrong through them EVERYTHING was worn out. I think folks try to run them lie that, without replacing bushings/shafts etc throughout the whole system from the pedal bracket on out to the wheels. Then bad mouth them when they don't work well. Once everything was good parts they functioned like they are supposed to. Make sure ALL your parts are good and use a little extra care when driving, you should be ok.

8. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I'm only leaving them mechanical until I get the flathead in there mechanicals when adjusted right are just fine especially for the 40hp it produces right now, juice brakes will come once I get the dropped axle and flathead in there, does anyone has any advice on the best/ easiest way to lower it like should I go with an aftermarket axle or should I go with a 32-36 axle with a drop in it

9. 40 HP!!!! My sportster base 74 HP lol I'm going with an aftermarket drop axle on my Model A

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Nice progress!!!!!!!!!!!
    I personally like the mechanicals. F-6 is right about them needing to be all up to snuff though. One of the big wear areas is the crossshaft that runs from frame rail to frame rail. Henry didn't give us a way to grease those bushings:(. I believe its Snyders that has a replacement with zerks added, a good upgrade if you keep them. You can also do a drop axle with mechanicals look at RainierHookers phaeton build.

If anyone tells you they are inferior ask them what happens if they lose a brake line? If we lose one with mechanicals the other 3 still work, with juice not so much.

Again nice project looking forward to more updates

11. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I was also considering a 8 inch posi out of a 1965 mustang for cheapo, naturally I would put that in with a transverse leaf spring , but a banjo is still a possibility

12. Awesome project! Can't wait to see it driving!

13. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

thanks skaterman me either.... hopefully by next summer the flathead and three speed will be in, and by then the bodywork should be done

14. wow, loving nick o's truck and i wouldn't kick the other one out of bed for eatting crackers..... ;)

15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

haha neither would I

16. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

hopefully I get her running this weekend since, unfortunately I will have to miss Hershey this year..... oh well.. I will post a video.. if I get everything buttoned up this weekend

17. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Great project ! Did you get your drop axle , if not keep an eye here on HAMB I picked up a model a axle that was dropped and drilled for less then a aftermarket one . It was only dropped 3 3/4 ", but then I reversed the spring eye and got another inch using a thread on here on how to do it . Keep up the good work

Skip

18. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

got her running today, I swear to god it fired right up, ran great as expected, just a few minor bugs to work out, I have to adjust the valves, fix a leaky carb, and the just "fixed" radiator seems to be dripping.... anyhow ill post a video soon my recorder died today as I was about to take a video, well I hope everyone had a goodtime at Hershey unfortunately I missed it this year

19. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very cool, Man!! Have fun with it!!! Great project and really cool truck!! Eventually, I plan on putting a flatty and juice breaks on my roadster but am having too much fun with the banger and just running it! The mechanicals are fine like everyone has said. HAVE FUN!!!!

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Did you get out do a ride yet? Video!!

21. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

no unfortunately no ride yet due to: I did not install the steering box or column in yet, and I have a small temporary gas tank.... hopefully I can get the steering box and column in today, and I have a slight lifter tick that I want to get rid of.......and rig up a larger gas tank! then Ill be driving her

22. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

my ol truck.jpg

here is me and my truck awaiting our maiden voyage haha

23. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Nice. Are you planing to use a stock tank or?

Your house-to-shop ratio looks about right too...1:1 is the HAMB standard :)

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.Like my Grandfather used to say"Slow and sure beats the hell out of quick and dead".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

One house one shed two shops 6 old cars 4 daily drivers lol

26. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I think I am going to use the stock tank.... unless I hear of any better ideas

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Coming along nicely, looks cool! The stock tank in my truck was cut out before I go the thing. My brother did the floor of my box, made a small box to hide a fuel tank and my battery in. I hated to because I really wanted to be able to use the thing like a truck. The box he made is small and doesn't take up much room so it's cool for now. I'm thinking Model T tank one day.

28. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Thanks definitely not a bad idea, actually the tank in mine is quite hacked up but repairable and the inside really isnt that bad

29. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Im so happy with my truck and that it actually looks like a truck and runs, so so much more to do, but this is satisfying me for now. Many friends or kids in school said i was crazy for doing this or that doesnt even run well i just proved em wrong