Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally introducing myself...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by tr_rodder, Sep 2, 2021.

1. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

Have been a lurker for many years, finally getting around to introduce myself. I have not posted anything yet, because I didn’t think I had anything interesting to add.

I purchased a new-to-me 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe, on August 14, 2020, from a 90-year-old gentleman in Ohio. I don't know much about this car, because he couldn't remember much about the car. He did say it was just like the one his aunt had, that he drove her to shopping and church in and always liked. Also, that he had not had it long and it was from California. Only bad things that he could remember was it pulled to the left, and the wiper motor didn't work and was removed. We (My wife, stepdaughter, and myself) took it for a test drive were the water pump decided to grenade and puke coolant about 3 blocks from his house. We got it back and it was in such nice shape, despite the few problems we bought it. Had it transported back to Wisconsin.

Then the fun started. I attempted to replace the water pump, thermostat, hoses, clamps, and flush and fill the coolant system. The first water pump water passages did not line up with the engines. Put on a second pump, but the impeller rubbed on the casting, remedy that situation. Got to really drive it (5 miles), yes it pulls horribly to the left. Also, the battery didn't seem like it was charging after starting and turn off the engine 4 or 5 times (not in a row). Changed battery cables to 3/0 welding cables. That lead to having the generator tested, it worked. Decided since it was out put new bearing, bushing and brushes in it. Also, bought a new regulator and had it tested with the generator. The regulator was good, but the shop said it should be adjusted it was not putting out enough at operating temperature. The shop adjusted voltage output, and cutout amperage. So, while the generator was out, thought it was a good time to also get the distributor rebuilt. The car also seemed to gasp when you opened the throttle real fast. Was told if you think its carburetor related its probably ignition, that was the reasoning behind getting the distributor rebuilt. The second water pump started leaking decided to do it over, again. With all that open space decided it was a good time to repaint and clean up the engine.

upload_2021-9-2_13-11-33.jpeg upload_2021-9-2_13-12-9.jpeg

That takes up today. Having only a 1 car garage right now and can only work in driveway, has led to some delays. The engine has been painted along with all the brackets. New water pump, generator, distributor installed. Along with a Mopar canister oil filter. Plumbed the lines for that, which it never had. New cap, rotor, coil, plugs and plug wires. Took the oil bath air cleaner off, installed a nice chrome air cleaner. New hoses and clamps. Had to prime the fuel system, it went dry over the year it has sat while working on it. Got it fire up on Tuesday, August 31.

The long-term goal is to turn this car into a mild custom with a warm over engine. Also interested in meet other traditional rod and custom Mopar fans in Wisconsin and to soak up and toss around ideas of what to with the car. Enjoy the pictures and video.

thumbnail_20210522_153637.jpg thumbnail_Resized_20210601_174739.jpg thumbnail_20210807_143711.jpg

Thanks,
    Cory

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Nice car. Some of my sources for Plymouth parts & such are www.faxonautolit. com for a reprint of original shop manual. www.robertsmotorparts.com or www.kanter.co. . I purchased many parts for these when going thru my 1950 Plymouth deluxe. There are other sources but these are what I used with good success. If yours is original engine it is the same as mine in the 1950. The original engine has a 23" head & block and the Chrysler, Desoto and some of the Dodges had a 25" engine The 23" were 217 cubic " while the 25" we3re 230 cubic inch.
    You can get an electric wiper motor from Newport Engineering. I know they have a 12 volt motor & think they have 6 volt as well.
    I have a set of cast Iron dual exhaust manifolds from www.langdonstovebolt.com and just got in an Offy dual intake from speedway. If you wish to go to a 2 bbl carb Langdon has some adapters. I have not made up my mine whether to get another original 1 bbl carb or go to the 97's. I have another car with air cond that I am going to fix a couple of things on before going back to the Plymouth. I have a cardboard template from someone local that plasma cut an adapter bracket to fit the 23" engine to add a Sanden A/C compressor using Vintage Air's universal bracket. It will be a bit before I can get the A/C parts to do this.
    Good Luck, Jimmie

Lil32, lothiandon1940 and tr_rodder like this.
  3. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Neat Plymouth project. Engine bay is looking spiffy.

Lil32, lothiandon1940 and tr_rodder like this.
  4. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

ol-nobull thank you for the list of Mopar resources.

pprather thanks for the compliment.

Lil32 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. carbking

carbking

Welcome! Nice find!

The Chrysler designed carbs like would have been original to your Plymouth are an exception to the "if you think it is carburetor, it is probably ignition". With these, if you think it is carburetor, it probably IS carburetor.

But someone before you has already figured this out, as the pictured carburetor is not original. It appears to be a Stromberg, and if the individual installing it did his/her homework, and installed the proper Stromberg, there would be no better single carb available for than engine.

If your "mild custom" goals include a multiple carb set-up, here is some reading material for you:

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Dual1barrelcarbs.htm

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Triple1barrels.htm

Jon.

rbrewer, Lil32 and tr_rodder like this.
  6. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

Jon,

Thank you for the info.

Yes, you are correct that is a Stromberg BXV. I did get the distributor rebuilt and it runs good, but didn't improve drastically.

You are also correct, eventually I'd like to build a 230 and put dual carburetor and dual exhaust. Thanks for the additional info.

Cory

7. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

From this last weekend. Here is the engine compartment as far a I am going to take it right now.

Finished Engine.jpg

8. hkestes

hkestes

The right 230 will make a big difference in the drivability. This is the 57 model 230 I built for my old 48 Plymouth coupe. Was bored 60 over, Offenhauser intake, reproduction Fenton cast iron headers, Carter Webber 2 bbl carbs, Edgy finned aluminum head and a mini HEI distributor that looked like the original.

The 218 in the P15s was rated at 95hp stock while the 57 model 230 was 135hp stock so quite a difference. With the increased compression of the aluminum head and better breathing of the headers and intake it was a vast improvement. I also installed a Borg Warner R10 overdrive transmission from a 53 Plymouth Suburban that allowed me to cruise at 75-80 all day long with the stock 4.10 rear gear.

Other sources of parts for your Plymouth are NAPA they can get pretty much any engine part you need in a matter of a day or two as Chrysler built these flatheads up until the early 60s. Also check out Montana Dodge Boys as they have now purchased the head tooling from Edgy and developed some parts of their own and sell reground cams from Edgy. Langdon's Stove Bolts was mentioned a bit earlier they have intakes, headers, carbs etc. Andy Bernbaum also has a lot of various parts.

For brakes Rusty Hope out of Florida sells a nice disc brake kit for the front that is darn near a bolt on with off the shelf parts.

The P15s are nice cars with a pretty well designed front suspension that was well ahead of the Fords and Chevys of the day. Only real issue is the location of the top shock mount. Use a bolt on Ford F1 upper shock mount to move the mount to the frame from the upper control arm and you are good to go with nothing more than a stock rebuild.

I have had two 48 Plymouth coupes over the years a Business Coupe and a Club Coupe that the 230 was in. Wish I had them back. Made multiple 800+ mile round trips with the Club Coup and 230. Only let me down once and that was with the original 218 that broke a valve. Dropped in the 230 and never had another issue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lil32 and tr_rodder like this.
  9. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

hkestes,
    Thank you for sharing your 230 receipe with me! What you just described is what I really would love to do to my Plymouth. Including the R10 overdrive. That sure is a pretty engine and car !
    tr_rodder

10. Lil32

Lil32

welcome
    nice buy