Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got my truck out for a spin....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DYNODANNY, Aug 12, 2010.

1. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Well for a while now I have not posted any progress pics due to the fact that I was in the garage so much. Well now the pay off, I got the truck out for a spin after a few minor adjustments. I actually drove the truck yesterday and found that I needed more travel for my brake pedal, my alternator was not charging, the tranny gears wont stay in when decelerating, clutch pedal needs more travel. Today after work the changes were made, found some more issues now I get a popping sound coming from the exhaust at about 3,000 rpm and will continue to pop. Exhaust pops with or with out a load. I checked the spark pugs and found that they were ok, checked timing ok, checked for any spark leaks non found. any one have any idea of what it could be? Here's some pictures and video, maybe you could hear the back fire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

3. farmer12

farmer12

Popping can be caused by running too rich, fuel igniting again in the exhaust as it gets hot. Nice Hemi.

4. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

5. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

6. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

7. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

8. HotRod33

HotRod33

GREAT looking truck........... pull the plugs out and see how they look....

9. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey Farmer12 the engine is a 241 with a mild cam and about 8.5 compression. For a carb we have a holly 94 . When I pulled the plugs I did notice that the plugs were black in color and smelled like fuel.

10. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

any one know how to embed a video? youtube is complicated.

11. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-mnMIn1xWfg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-mnMIn1xWfg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

13. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LVA2m4sT2yw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LVA2m4sT2yw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

back the front but you get the gist

15. That Truck Is Sooooo BadAss!

16. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Well once I get off work I'm going to take the truck out for a few more miles, need to have more clutch travel and figure out the popping sound comming from the exhaust.

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty shweeet and a hemi to ,

18. Danny, if your plugs are wet and black, you're dumping to much fuel down the manifold, you need to lean it out a bit, sounds like it's loading up on you.

19. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey Grits I was thinking the same thing, I'm going to check the power valve since its from a rebuilt kit. I might have blown it out when I had the distributor 180 off. Thats one idea.

20. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Yesterday I went home and checked out the carb adjustment and found that it is ok. I took the carb apart and found nothing wrong with the carb. It has 50 size jets on it. I checked the distributor cap for any arking across the cap or any cracks, checked out ok. The popping sound is only comming from the drivers side exhaust only. I removed the spark plugs on that bank and they were black in color except for the last plug witch was white. Any one have any other ideas? I am going to check the valve adjustment when I get home. Would a tight adjustment cause this issue? (hydralic cam) Thanks Danny

21. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

So far the truck has been running good with no popping from the exhaust at all. My syster in law and my ggod freind Randy got married on saturday and asked if I could be part of the wedding party so I said hell yeah. Heres some pictures in veture at the old court house (now city hall). Oh and it went up california street with no troubles at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good Danny, glad you "resolved" the popping problem. Love that Hemi!

23. That's a nice looking truck man, glad it worked out for you.

24. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

i really like this truck...good job on it...

25. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

good job looks sweet

26. Danny, I love that truck. You did a great job on it.

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool truck.. I like your tire and wheel combo and the 2-tone paint........

28. jfrolka

jfrolka

Dig the style of your truck. Hope to see it around

29. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

you like ....me like.
    hemi ! Kool