Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my EARLY FORD!.. 39 DLX. COUPE!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lazyv8, Nov 17, 2008.

1. lazyv8

lazyv8

A friend of the family that my gramps has known since 65' called and found out he has colin cancer..and is gettin rid of all of his cars,not like most people he wanted to find good homes for all three... a 35 pheaton 41 pick up and the 39 coupe! after the call i headed up to modesto to look at the coupe and see glen, we talked and he asked me if its somethin i would be interested in? i said yes but i know how much these cars cost! he replied with a more than generous response! long story short...i sold the 55 and the 57 rancho to get it but its mine now and ive got a coupe to put together!we also found good homes for the other two and they are gone also..
    [​IMG]
    the car was painted once before 1964 judging by the richfeild service sticker on top of the newer paint in the door jamb that reads 6-4-64... the car was taken apart in the 80s for a fulll resto. but all they got was the chassis done and the body back on andthere it sat for 30 years...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    parts parts!!!!
    [​IMG]
    yea these edmunds heads too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    along with gramps' 40'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my roadster and gramps' 40..
    [​IMG]
    original woodgrain..
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. lazyv8

lazyv8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hey Pal, you got a nice one there! Enjoy it.

4. WOW! Super super score dude! I love them 39-40 coupes!!!

5. McFly

McFly

That is solid! Congrats!

6. WOW! That's a sweetheart. I use to run around in Concord. I lived in Pleasant Hill, right by the old Montgomery Wards store. Dean

7. Mart

Mart

That car looks a beaut! It looks like a keeper to me. Many years from now, if you still have the car you will still remember the guy that cut you a deal on it, and you will associate it with your Gramps too, as he helped you get it.
    Let's hope the seller's condition is operable and he pulls through.
    Mart.

8. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Very nice condition... Now, here's the million dollar question... How are you going to build this one? PLEASE don't say your going to chop it or otherwise desecrate that beautiful body:(:eek:. I've seen a disturbing trend lately of people taking cars in this condition or better and butchering them. I remember when the whole "fat attack" trend was starting in the 80's and Jerry Moreland took that MINT 40 Deluxe Sedan and tubbed it out, mustangII front, etc...

Now, if it were mine, I would have it lookin' like Gramps 40 Deluxe there. His sits perfect, colors perfect, and well I could go on & on...

9. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

wow, very nice! CONGRATS!!

10. bluestang67

bluestang67

Great find and as said its a keeper . You don't run up on these pure stockers often .

11. Great lookin cp. you are very lucky to find one in good condition. Be careful to preserve that look it has great patina, Hank

12. nice score-car is really solid

13. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

WOW, Congratulaitons! What a solid car, looks like any easy project. I like the green with cream wheels would look sweet. All you need is a hopped up flatty to make it right.

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Very happy for you. It's a real beauty.

15. R Pope

R Pope

Bolt 'er together with a dressed-up flatmotor and a dropped axle, and drive 'er!
    Wishing the best to the PO with his health problems.

16. You do know how much we all hate you, right? Seriously,that is one very nice, solid '39 Coupe. Follow Gramps' lead and if it turns out as nice as his '40 your buildup will have been spot on perfect. Good luck and enjoy.

17. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

Very nice car.

18. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Looks like a great car. Keep us posted on your build.

19. lazyv8

lazyv8

the plan so far is to leave it as is.... rub it out ,put it together,i have a line on a good running 40 motor that ill run heads and a two pot fenton intake on... dropped axle with a posie spring ,posie in the rear too....go to 5 on 5 1/2 ,16 '' solids, im gonna leave the body alone!just paint the fire wall cream, glen gave me the rare accesory windwings for the car but i dont want to even drilll 1/8 '' holes in the doors to put them on! im so exited about this car...ive wanted a early ford as long as i can remember! under gramps guidence ill have the right product in the end!
    [​IMG]

20. lazyv8

lazyv8

HES ALL OVER IT!!! hes been callin all his buddies in the EFV8 club for info on parts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. lazyv8

lazyv8

a small part of the roof i rubbed...
    [​IMG]

22. Look at that shirt your gramps is wearing.........what a ruler!

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great find--follow your Granpa's style-his car is just right-can go wrong with stock body with all trim and the stance his has--39-40 coupes do not need to be butchered--too cool as they are

24. I'm eating my heart out here. Sorry to hear about the old gent but at least he knows the coupe is going to a good home. Beautiful start there.

25. lazyv8

lazyv8

thanks for all the kind words guys!!

26. Mart

Mart

If you don't f. about and get it running and on the road in time, it'd be good to take the previous owner out for a ride in it. (not sure what sort of timescale he has to play with.. touchy subject). It looks better and better the more pics you show.
    Your Gramps looks like a cool old guy, I bet he is pleased he has a grandson to pass the torch to. My kids ain't interested, no grandkids yet, but I don't expect any of them to share my passion.
    Mart.

27. Yeah, nice score, but I agree with Mart. Unfortunate circumstances in which the car was obtained from an aqaintance so do him right and make him proud and then take him for a nice ride in it!
    That car is so clean.

28. lazyv8

lazyv8

my plan is to get it on the road by april for an early ford club run up in jackson, if glens condition is stable i plan to stop in modesto on the way and take him to lunch in the coupe! hes such a neat guy! he gave a hardworkin kid a chance to have somthin the goldchainers play with! he had a very very generous offer for all 3 cars from a local collector/buyer/seller guy who has many historical hot rods and customs... i wont say who..but glen didnt want the car to go that way,he wanted them to go to good homes where they would each get seperate attenion... ill try and snag some pics of the 35 pheaton so u guys can see it too.. its a phenominal pretty original car.

29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Ain't life grand some times. Good story, conrats. Joe

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Nice car Brandon. Have some fun with that and sounds like a good plan. Hope your Grandpa's friend does well and gets to see you put it back together. I am sure he would get a great kick out of that, probably more than anything. Let me know if you ever need a hand and hope to catch up again before too long.