Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got me a "family car"...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Nov 15, 2009.

1. shoveled71

shoveled71

I love those 64 Fords, that is a nice score, had two of em back in the 70s, one was a 390 automatic and the other a convertable 390 4 speed I bought for 100.00, the chick thought the clutch was going bad, I adjusted it and drove it for about a year. Spike

2. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your 63 looks great! Has it been lowered or is it stock?

3. racer756

racer756

Winner!:D

4. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice drop top...I bet the family loves riding in this one..you got bags on it?

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

6. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. 61TBird

61TBird

Good score on the '64!
    Raven Black and a Red interior,is there a better combination?? :rolleyes:

8. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so....I was super stoked when I walked up on the car and realized the interior was red...Looking forward to the weekend so I can do some wrenchin...

9. Opentracker

Opentracker
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks. Stock height, it just turned 72K miles.

10. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got to spend some time on the 500 this weekend. I changed the oil and filter, installed a new fuel pump, plugs, wires, and cap. Also threw the points in the trash and installed a Pertronix kit. The car runs fairly well....smokes a little. Actually drove the family around the neighborhood a few times. I think I am going to go ahead a rebuild the 390 and maybe change it to a 4 or a 5 speed...Any thoughts on that one? Anybody ever put a 5 speed behind a 390? Let me know. Thanks

11. Sauli

Sauli

What do i think...? I think You made out beautiful! Way to go, sounds to me all it needs is a good clean-up and a tune-up and You´re good to go. Throw in some blankets over the fr seat, pile in the family and drive the wheels off of it.
    (If it were mine, however...I´d bolt on a set of grey-spoke Americans and the loudest exhaust in town, but what a cool car it is just they way it sits!)

12. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

13. 4ever18

4ever18

Excellent! I've always thought that 1964 was a banner year for all of the American automobile companies.... They all made good looking cars, that year. The '64 Ford is a favorite of mine and black with red guts is a color combination that looks good on any car. Great score.

Darrell

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

For a motor with the torque of a 390 in a two-ton car, you want a Tremec five-speed. You can get the integral shifter in a few different positions. They are strong (related to Ford T & C toploader), and probably have the same bolt pattern as your three speed. Not really cheap, but if you shop around, you can probably find something close to a deal. Maybe hardly any more expense than a four speed.

The cool thing about the five speed is that there isn't a tradeoff between dig in first gear and cruising rpm. Best of both worlds....

15. jmon77

jmon77
    from Tennessee

I'm jealous... I love those cars! Here's a picture I've kept if I ever get one in the future.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  16. 63hardtop

63hardtop
    from Denver

i did the same thing about the same time. bought a 63 1/2 galaxie 500 z code (390) aout 2 weeks ago. black fast back too. except power steering and cruise o matic slush box. pics are camera phone variety from PO

Attached Files:

17. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

cool good luck with rhe project!

18. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man the car looks great....what are your plans with yours? What makes it a "z" code... I have heard this referenced before but I am still learning about this FE stuff...

19. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Nice looking Galaxie! I have loved the 63 since I first saw one, only took me a decade to get to buy one to. Now she's safely tucked away in my garage awaiting some new goodies, is it weird that I'm buying my car Christmas presents?

20. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I rebuilt the carb and that took care of all of the smokin....the car runs like a sewing machine and I am stoked! I got it legal on Friday and drove it 15 or 20 miles today (it rained ALL day Saturday). I have got to put shocks and tires on it asap. I am workin on some old CRAGAR grey center 5 spokes that a fellow HAMBER is letting me try out. Thinking about the 5 spokes in front and some black steelies out back.. Any thoughts on mufflers? I got to give my neighbors something else to bitch about....I am trying to keep this thing as 1964 as possible so Flowmasters are out of the equation. Let me know what sounds best on these old FE's.....

21. Big Tony

Big Tony

Great score, cleaned up very nicely and ought to be a great ride for the fam to enjoy

22. sololobo

sololobo

Man, you done real good!! That baby looks hot just washed up, killer body style. ENJOY!! ~Sololobo~

23. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

H, It sounds like you've been busy my friend. :D

Later,Bill

24. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Super car whether family or not. Congrats!!

25. RAY With

RAY With

Your going to like the Galaxie a lot. The 390 is a tough old bird and will take a beating and still haul ass. I read some of the post and you have some good advise posted. There are several companys that make a good oil pump drive rod so once you clean and flush all the liquids your ready to run. I have had at least 10 galaxies and liked them all. On the hiway they ride good and are fast.

26. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really have not had to do much....the car was in a lot better shape than I expected. I have driven it to work every day this week and I am really going to enjoy this car. Looking forward to some highway time....

27. dmackustom

dmackustom
    from wichita ks

Very awesome! looks like you have a better start than I did. I had so much rust in mine that it is practically a brand new car from the doors back. Hope you enjoy it. Im glad to see another Galaxie returning to the road

28. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Like a trip to OHIO! :D Merry Christams man!

Later,Bill

29. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK so I have been driving the 64 and the radiator decided it was time to start leaking....bad. So I take it out and carry it to the radiator guy here in town and he tells me it is junk...."too thin to repair". So the hunt begins, I start calling around.....best I can find for a new replacement is $540.00 delivered and 4-5 weeks out. That is not going to happen. I was thinking about using a radiator out of another Ford that I have to try and make it work but I will have to eliminate the "SURGE TANK". Has anybody else done this? What purpose does the "SURGE TANK" have? I am looking for a used 64 Radiator now but not having any luck....HELP! Thanks

30. dotcentral

dotcentral

My dad had a 60 T-Bird when I was a kid, and those cars also had one of those surge tanks. On those cars, the top of the radiator sits low compared to the engine. If you didn't have that tank, it would be harder to bleed all the air out of the cooling system. Those tanks are kind of expensive if you have to replace it.